1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My new motor and plan for a 3DOF with AC motors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by That Dude There, Feb 28, 2017.

1. That Dude There

That Dude There Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 1 / -0
    Yes but doesn't it take the fun out of it to show you so soon, the idea I want to copy? :p
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. That Dude There

That Dude There Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 1 / -0
    Ok you talked me into it. I'm thinking of that base you posted, except using rods attached to one side of the gearbox, instead of both sides like this:
  3. That Dude There

That Dude There Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 1 / -0
    I like the way they do it above, but I don't see a good way to attach the hall effects like that.
  4. paulg100

paulg100 Active Member

Balance:
    1,393Coins
    Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Attaching a pot on that design is no different to how you can attach a design with a single arm. Just make a bracket that links to the motor shaft which sits out of range of your levers, your only using 180 degrees there so you can put the bracket anywhere out of that range (just make sure you install limit switches from the get go!).

Also a couple of other thoughts, firstly are you paying more for the heims with 60 degrees as opposed to regular heim with a common 30 degree spacer? If so you might want to consider if the extra cost is worth it as i can say with confidence that you are unlikely to use more than 30 degrees, let alone 60. 1. due to the extra power it would require, 2. because of the latency it would cause, 3. because of the design constraints of the platform and base. ie: in that design in video the front of the upper platform will be smashing into the base/floor with that amount of pitch.
    If you look at all the videos speedy posted, id estimate from looking that none of those are even using more than 30 degrees.
    EDIT: just looked at prices from the link you posed, prices are actually really good, nice find. guess you may as well go with those even if you dont use more than 30 degrees.

also are you planning to use this rig for racing? if so are you SURE you are happy to fore go traction loss/yaw? it adds a huge amount to driving games.
    you could in theory mount the whole platform on a movable base to add that at a later date i guess.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Also please be informed that "Frock" that goes on both sides of the gearbox + motors are 120 degree distributed on the base is very important step to follow ... that is to self contain the top platform always centered and supporting the whole platform with a distributed force along all edges / bla bla bla ...
    Plus prevents you from using extra spline column with U-joint on top of it and a spring assistance to prevent pending in rods or a front stabiliser like second video ...

"Old fashion " :p lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. That Dude There

That Dude There Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 1 / -0
    I really appreciate the input. I did think of a shaft that extends past the connection, but wasn't sure about it and moved on from that idea. I need to find out if I'll even get the motor shaft size I need, or if I'll have to have it machined. Yes the heims are $15 each at another website. They are the cheap 2 piece, but I thought they would work. I had an idea to have longer rods (19"?) to experiment with more movement, and see how the motors handle the weight. So you think that would cause latency with 1hp/.75kw motors?

For traction loss, I was thinking of putting the entire rig on a platform, and possibly adding it later if I thought I needed it. The idea was to try to keep it simple on my first build. I'm not 100% set on this design though, and would really like something like this 4DOF:

I agree to copy the pattern of the motors and center them under the seat area and bla bla bla... lol What do you both think of that 4DOF? I'm a little nervous about building actuators, even after reading several threads about it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. paulg100

paulg100 Active Member

Balance:
    1,393Coins
    Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    "So you think that would cause latency with 1hp/.75kw motors? " +30 degree angles for VR yep, only one way to know for sure though... try it and let us all know :)

Ive already reduce my yaw and sway significantly, with big movements it was causing motion sickness although to be fair I don't have everything tuned yet including PID.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. That Dude There

That Dude There Member

Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 1 / -0
    Look what I found today at a junkyard. A RX-8 bucket seat for $50. It just needs cleaned up, and a small hole repaired. It even has an airbag, so I'll feel safe.
    Ok the airbag adds weight, and makes the shaped odd, and there is only one hole for possible seatbelts...but it will work. :thumbs
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017