1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom My new 3dof, 4motors, arduinoMéga + Sabertooth

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by ericRacer, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Wanegain

Wanegain Active Member

Balance:
    1,946Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Bonjour eric !
    Félicitations pour ton simu, c'est un super boulot que t'as fait !

Avant d'attaquer avec mes questions, je te (ainsi qu'aux lecteurs) souhaite une bonne année 2014 pleine de réussites !

Je possède un Arduino Uno R3 et une sabertooth et j'ai quelques questions...
    - Tout d'abord, si je prends un code tel quel sur ce site (ou x-sim.de) pour mon arduino et que j'utilise un filtre passe-bas pour ma sabertooth, est-ce que ça va fonctionner sans avoir de modifications à faire dans le code ?
    - Tu dis que c'est mieux d'utiliser la communication en série (je pense aussi), je vais donc faire ça également, et si je résume bien j'ai besoin de la librairie fournie par dimensionengineering et softwareserial plus refaire le code (ou prendre le tien :grin) ?
    - Comment tu règles le PID, tu passes quand même par X-Sim (avec la courbe, c'est très efficace) ?

Hi eric !
    Congratulations with your simulator ! It's a very good job !!!

Before asking questions, I wish you (and all readers) a successful year 2014 !

I own an Arduino UNO R3 and sabertooth.
    I have two questions for you :
    - If I use a software found on this forum (or x-sim.de) for my arduino and a low-pass filter for my sabertooth, does it work using only pwm (without a new code to write) ?
    - You say it's better to use a serial communication (I think so), I will do it too, and if I understand well, I need the library given by dimensionengineering and softwareserial and to modify the code (or take yours :grin) ?
    - How do you fix the PID, are you still using X-Sim (with the curve, it's very efficient) ?
  2. telfel

telfel Active Member

Balance:
    4,735Coins
    Ratings:
    +118 / 3 / -0
    Hi Eric
    Can you detail information on how you modified the jack, also what air pressure are you using and how much weight the jack can support?

Thanks Terry
  3. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    @Wanegain we don't use Xsim here anymore, Sorry.
  4. Wanegain

Wanegain Active Member

Balance:
    1,946Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok. It was what I was thinking...
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Wanegain, we are happy to guide you along the path of using SimTools, mmm not sure if some ones done the code for sabertooth control yet, might be wrong thou. I dont use them for motion, only dash output.
  6. Wanegain

Wanegain Active Member

Balance:
    1,946Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi eaorobbie, I wrote my own code. It's always better for troubleshooting :thumbs :grin.
    I am very interested by SimTools but I still didn't test it yet.

Do you know if a checksum can be calculated for data sent to arduino and how can I use it ?

I will create my own topic when I will be ready to use it (soon !!), I think it would be better than here for help.
  7. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    I use a end of msg token as a check sum like "~" for my rc model app.
    Codes reads the information until it gets a ~ and stops and does that.
    More Ard code, cool.
  8. Wanegain

Wanegain Active Member

Balance:
    1,946Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It's clever, but you can't check if data sent are good. Maybe it doesn't matter... Do you know the % of data lost by serial for an arduino ?
  9. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Very little at 9600 but as you go higher its very easy to fill the serial buffer, resulting in an overflow and the Ard locking up, why I dont trust them for motion.
    Mm a way you could check is by checking if the value falls between the limits , if not make it disregard the input, my self i use a data array, the quickest way to read a long string and deal with it in time, as in no converting from hex or bin. Maybe an idea
  10. Wanegain

Wanegain Active Member

Balance:
    1,946Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The communication max between the Ard and the saberooth it 38400, so I'm not sure it's a good idea to go faster between PC and Ard.
    9600 seems to be enough, right ? Reading you, I am wondering if checksum is realy useful :think. You tip using "~" seems as effective as checksum.
    I am already using limits for data received (I saw there is a special function for that :thumbs), it's a security easy to implement !