1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My diy 3DOF motion rig project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Thirsty, Sep 16, 2013.

1. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good stuff and at least you got to play on some sims.
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yes! it was fun as I've been there with 10 mates from RacingFr.com :cheers
    and we had many interesting conversations: as everyone is looking for different criterias!
    - simulate Formula1 OR simulate Rally OR simulate old racing cars OR being jerked to have fun
    - be the cheapest OR be the smallest (in the living room) OR the most beautiful
    - static sims for better chrono OR dynamic sims for immersion
    - be the closest to reality having real peripherals: shifters, dashboard...​

But we agreed that a good simulator has to deal with multiple parameters to increase its efficiency, not only 1 parameter:
    - screens
    - high amplitude movment (heave)
    - short and precise movment (small bumps)
    - tactile feedback
    - wheel!​
  3. Thirsty

Thirsty Member

Balance:
    593Coins
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Cheers for the feedback mate:)
    Yeah, I've started revising my design in the meantime and the screens are gonna be attached to the rig. It's good to get that confirmed, thanks.
    The looks of it is roughly the same, but there are changes to dimensions - it's gonna be wider. It will be a bloody big rig:) The statics are affected as well, so I will be using different tubes in some areas. I will post a plan when ready.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. Thirsty

Thirsty Member

Balance:
    593Coins
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Phew, done...finally:)
    Here's what it's gonna look like - really don't wanna change it again:

SIM MOTION RIG V5 131002 T500 -2.JPG
    SIM MOTION RIG V5 131002 T500 -1.JPG

SIM MOTION RIG V5 131002 T500 -3.JPG

SIM MOTION RIG V5 131002 T500 -5.JPG

It's wider now - exactly 80mm more than previously - in length and width pretty much the size of a SimX stage 5.
    It took me ages to work this out. You see the triple screen bracket/frame has quite a bit of leverage and that was a bit concerning and a challenge for me to get designed so there won't be any wobble when rear traction loss occurs...hopefully.
    The floor of the top frame in front of the seat is gonna be covered with aluminium plates.
    What's your opinion - you think it's all right and gonna work?
    I've got 3 150SCN5's and almost regret a bit not saving the money and go for dc motors like bsft suggested. However, I think they will do a great job for the seat mover. The thing I'm still a bit concerned about is using a SCN5 for the rear traction loss component. Someone, who I believe knows much more about motion rigs than me, said on another forum these SCN5's are only good for loads of up to 5kg. I was very surprise about that. I mean my rig is big and pretty heavy as well. I'm using a good bearing at the front pivot and good quality castors with a proper bearings so I'm confident it will move pretty easily sideways with very little friction. It's still a lot of weight to rapidly accelerate and slow down and I'm a bit concerned that a SCN5 might struggle to cope with that. Do you have any idea - is a SCN6 more suitable for a big rig?
    Cheers
  5. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Nice to see your progress!
    (I don't know SCN5...)

Maybe the structure below your rear rollers should be reinforced.
    Or bent your tube and weld a bracket on top of it?
    bracket.png
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    SCN6 will work as they handle more, 20 kg I think. But at nearly $800 each, thats alotta dough.
    Design looks good though. If you are buying SCN from Simx, send the pic to him and ask if its right.
    Otherwise, anyone else here able to advise?
    DC motors good for seat mover to full frame, depending on design. Same with Actuators, design is the key.
    Personally I would like to try SCN actuators , but I do not have that sort of cash, so DC motors for me.
    Cheers and go hard.
  7. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    As long as it supports the weight nicely , cant see an issue plus mount a rubber dampener in between the base frame and the scn5 , this will take any vibrations away from the body of the scn5 and help with the shock load from repeative fast movements, mate. His never built an SCN5 system. I have built 2 SimX copies , 4 years on still going hard.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thirsty

Thirsty Member

Balance:
    593Coins
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much for the feedback guys:)
    I sent an email to SimX in the meantime. See what they think about it.
    RacingMat, I'm not sure what exactly might have to be reinforced. I've created another iso which might clarify things.
    There's a that flat steel bit welded on the square tube of the base frame and I've got 2 little supports either side of the tube. I think that's what you're talking about.
    the lat steel is actually a bit longer that the max. range of the wheel. At least 50% of the wheel will be on top of the square steel tube at all times.
    Can you let me know if you see a possible issue?

This iso shows the underside of the rig:
    SIM MOTION RIG V5 131025 T500 detail1.JPG

Cheers
  9. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Looks good , I noticed the rubber dampeners, think that's what it is. A must with scn5 units.
    On the other hand a channel so the wheels don't turn and slip off the flat bar mate might help, if the casters can still turn 360 deg.
    One of the best designs I have seen in a long time, well thought out.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thirsty

Thirsty Member

Balance:
    593Coins
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much mate...that one does make me a bit proud:)...now I just have to build it, huh?

Yes, I'm using these shear compression mounts (pretty expensive: $30 each):
    shear compression mounts.JPG

The iso above shows actually a bit better where they are.
    The castors between base frame and top frame (moving) are fixed on an angle depending on the distance to the pivot at the front. Only the castors under the base frame are rotating. Each of them has a max load of 110kg.
    P1000366.JPG

Cheers
  11. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Well ya defiantly crossed all ya T's and dotted all the I's for this build cant wait to see it boogie.
    Mounts will save a lot of tears, later on mate, they do work well, in suppression of vibrations as the scn5 can vibrate very well indeed. We actually use the same unit for mounting single piston engine motors on farm machinery. So they don't shake the frame apart. Worth the expense, you will also note SimX uses a similar damper on the ends of the mount for the scn5 for the same purpose.
  12. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @Thirsty : yes, it's this detail!
    If you bent the tube, you will spare these 2 kits of 3 little pieces ;-)

Big diameter wheel will give you smooth movment.
  13. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    ? don't think you understand his design at all ?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agreed
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
  15. Thirsty

Thirsty Member

Balance:
    593Coins
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Cheers for taking the time to check my design. I don't have the tools to bend tubes, but I actually considered a kink in that tube before right in the centre and align them with the track of the wheels in that section.
    I dismissed it because I didn't want a weld in that tube. Not that I don't trust my welds, but I just feel better just having one continuous tube there. Agreed, it's a bit of fiddling around, but it's the best solution I could work out.
    Cheers
  16. Thirsty

Thirsty Member

Balance:
    593Coins
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Hope you can give me a bit of advice guys.
    I calced the weight of the rig. Just the steel will be approx. 90kg. Seat, screens, actuators and all the rest of the gear will add another 45-50kg which makes it 140kg without driver.
    Priority when designing was functionality stability and the looks of it. It would be possible to reduce the weight a bit, but that would make the rig look less good imo.
    I wonder what's your opinion - would you try to reduce the weight a bit (I think it might be possible to reduce it by 10-15kg) or do you think it doesn't really matter?
    Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated:)
    Thanks
  17. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Weight shouldnt be an issue , it is a Seatmover on a tracation loss frame, so the std 2 scn5 will be fine driving the seat and a person. And the third is only push pulling a frame that is support with casters with bearings , so very little force should be needed to turn the frame. I hope I have understood your frame, please correct me if im wrong, sorry
  18. Thirsty

Thirsty Member

Balance:
    593Coins
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Thanks mate! No, you got it right - that's exactly how the thing is working.
    It's just that the figure scared me a bit;) It's my first diy motion rig and it will be lots of work cutting all the bits and pieces and welding that thing up - so I want to get it right.
    Guess it's better to ask first than regretting later:)
    • Like Like x 2
  19. james wheeler

james wheeler Active Member

Balance:
    216Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Is your project finished? If I am understand things correctly your idea seem much like mine that I want to build. Basically a 2DOF seat mounted on top of a platform so it can sway.

If casters are a problem (which I can see them being. Since they have to stop and "spin" 180 degrees before starting again) Then I was considering using roller blade wheels and mounting them at a ~60-75 degree angle. The wheels will not have to "spin"

The Idea can from the principle of motorcycle riding. as it leans it turns
    • Like Like x 1
  20. james wheeler

james wheeler Active Member

Balance:
    216Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    i think

Attached Files: