1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My Custom 6 DOF VR Rig for Microsoft Flight Simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Flying Pete, Dec 5, 2021.

1. smitty

smitty Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    613Coins
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    this manual goes to Pn270

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0
    This is great. Thanks for the far better manual!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +864 / 2 / -0
    What a joy to read!!! I do love a good slice of 6 dimensional space in the morning. :)

No, seriously: Great work! I have tried to calculate a slice of a 6D hyperbody and evetually admitted defeat. I had to settle for a numerical solution. So far, only for linear actuators...

I will definitely be watching here :thumbs
  4. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +864 / 2 / -0
    I had a very similar motivation to write my own custom solution too! :) I really like that attitude of yours. :thumbs

In the meantime FS2020 has gotten a few bugs fixed so at least the data that is available for export is now correct and the proper accelerations can be calculated from there. I did it for my own software, and to the best of my knowledge Mover also provides the correct data.

The collision detection thing is on my agenda as well. However, I will have to settle for a simplified solution, because I can't possibly modell my U-joints mathmatically. I also want to check for collisions between the upper frame and the actuators, but that hinges around how closely I can modell my upper frame :)

Awsome project!
  5. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Good Job :)

is there somehwere i can research the maths to do this ?
  6. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +864 / 2 / -0
    For the numerical solution? I saw a video on marching cubes that I drew some inspiration from. I don't know if there are any tutorials out there for the general case.

For the 6DOF Stewart-platform specific case you can take a look at my git repo, but it only generates 2D slices of the 6D shape. The translatoric operating space is relatively easy to calculate, I gave up on the rotations though :)
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-29 um 14.43.53.png Workspace lateral.png
    • Like Like x 1