1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom My 6DOF with DIY Actuators

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Vitalius, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Vitalius

Vitalius Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    I was a little inaccurate, in case of emergency or when driving over limit switch all SMC3 are de-energized.
  2. Vitalius

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hello, yes I imagined it that way. When I'm done with basic build at some point I'll bring a gas damper under my platform exactly on midpoint. But first I still have to cope with building up Ring.
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  3. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,395Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    All I do is turn simtools off, battery off and psu's then remove and reinsert the usbs for each arduino turn it all back on and its good to go , only have to turn simtools on and away ya go :)
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Guys . have to admit during the initial learning the system, and fine tuningto puch the platform speeds etc , resetting the position of the actuators by hand is a PAIN Grrrrr . but I have a crazy idea to use a low voltage battery and change over switch to power to each actuator and drive it back into safe zone without the need to get fingers in danger zone ...

hear me out as im just thinking aloud and many minds make light work of crazy idea's .

OK so the system im thinking about follows, I need to disconnect one Motor Lead to isolate it from the Sabertooth temporally so that im pot put power into the sabertooth Motor feed Terminals , then I could use the low voltage 7.2v 2s Lipo battery on both motor terminal to slowly drive the actuator back to working range.

once in safe zone I would flip change over switch and allow the sabertooth to regain control of the motor , once the reset latching circuit is re-activated . (in my case the AMC and sabertooths are still powered Hmmmm on the basis that a reset would allow the sim to continue without having switched the system Off )

ideally with FlyPT and the new Optical encoder setup this wont be required , but this idea is a crash backup only .

Basically in e-stop or limit switch detection situation, the platform may backdrive affecting one or more actuators as we know it can ,

This concept would allow me to switch out any actuator required and a allow quick hands free movement away from the offending limit switch, ironically this is where the dampers would have helped to minimise backdriving action after repositioning ,cos lets face it depending on the design the dam things can or may still backdrive while your resetting the latching circuit activation so this needs to be done before any actuator triggers the lower limit switch again .

Im only thinking of this convoluted option because of the lack of access to the ballscrew when trying to manually reposition actuators .. ones bad enough but all 6 is what I call OFFS mode that'll be calvin speak for Oh for (expletive ) sake :) .

I have seen somewhere Guys use Diodes across limit switch NO and Common to momentarily drive motors in the reverse direction back to a point if limit switch is activated, but not tried that yet .. im sure the diagram for that connection is here somewhere ... yesy I know once again with the rambling so Im Outta here for now LOL

If this idea is already out there then you reading what had to be a Subliminal message repeated LOL so ignore the waffle
  5. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I know that SeatTime has such a setup. He had momentary button in his cockpit to bring his platform up and running. I have no idea what's his circuit though.
  6. Vitalius

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    hello together, I'm happy about every solution! For me, I thought to install an additional switch to bypass all connected in the series emergency stop switch or closes together. But you have to go through a checklist how to turn off the game and SimTool and then press this switch. Not perfect but without fingers :).

Does any of you have a link to the circuit or its tread from SeatTime?
  7. Flymen

Flymen Flymen Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF

Hi ,
    When I hit a limit switch, all motors turn off like Pierre , depend the situation sometime all goes down but normaly it 's only one or two . I have a control box ( start and stop with emergency button ) that I can put standby all drives and replace the one who is down at the middle position, set at zero all actuator on Flypt and after this setting only push the start button to active all drive, and play again !
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  8. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    not sure if u are willing to share control box diagram schematic.... :) :) :)
  9. Vitalius

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Interesting ! I hope you (@Flymen ) allow us to see your solution? But since we or most of the solutions here only switch off the power supply, I find the worst when the platform goes down because the engines are no longer holding! There is the danger that the lower limit switches will be triggered.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Flymen

Flymen Flymen Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Hi ,
    I have 3 ballscrew( made japon) with low friction and 3 others with more friction ( good quality ) .
    That`s why when I hit the lower switch those one have more friction stay at the same position and some time the cheaper goes down because all motors are off and depend the position too . exemple : I like when I put gas or brake and the simulator goes fast front and back but with this situation , sometime I hit one of actuator back of me and all my rig have the weight on this one. My set up is not the same of yours . exemple I have diferent drive to control motors !
  11. Vitalius

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hello, interesting solution that with ballscrew with low friction! Man never learn off! :)
  12. Vitalius

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    :) I hope I get the joystick mount ready. Throttle is tightly screwed. Then I can finally fly loss. ED is already waiting

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    It looks good. I can`t wait to see it flight in a video.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    videos! i like to see! as well... :)
  15. Vitalius

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Unfortunately, I have to disappoint you. Sorry
    In yesterday's test, I had to conclude that the kanze platform is unstable. Wakelt like jellyfish :(. So I start to dismantle again and will amplify that whole and a little differently designed.
    So go back to the garage. :)

Attached Files:

16. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Two steps forward, one step behind.
    Design, construct, break, redesing, reconstruct, break...
    Have fun!
  17. Vitalius

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    @Lalancelot thanks, I will have determined

I will shorten the shelf for the pedals and connect it to the monitor holder.

Attached Files:

18. Vitalius

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Holder for chair I will weld firmly to the frame.
    Bishen weight is also saved by it

Attached Files:

19. Vitalius

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    So my new frame is almost done. A few more weeks ;-) ... and
    I bought a useful Playseat Seat Slider at Amazon and integrated with drilling, cutting and welding.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Vitalius

Balance:
    586Coins
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    I hope this construction holds. Or maybe you still have some bracing, wait and see