1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My 3DOF project is born!

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by AldoZ, Mar 20, 2011.

1. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    great job..what brand LCD do you use?
  2. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    @ eaorobbie:
    Yeah, the pid matter seems to be the new challenge for me but your basic PID settings works great since now!

;D mate, remember if a day you will go to an Italian holiday so you will are my guest here! rivers of beer for you! :cheers:

@ kubing:
    Thank you a lot dude! The monitor is a little 19 Asus 16:9 screen.
    I would to have minumum a good 24 :yes:
  3. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hello all!
    Here my new vids:

DUTY CYCLE = 6/6
    ACCELLERATION = 5/6

These are the new rFactor profile tests
    Montreal, Canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErOPK9qybrE&feature=youtube_gdata
    Here me tring to do a good racing skills and failing miserally!! :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-prcwvlsOc&feature=youtube_gdata
    Some near views with my friend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijVllWIjEs&feature=youtube_gdata
    here my friend trying to tame the Formula 3 car!

Ps: Tomorrow I will start to dismount and change the rear damn noisy winch with a very less noisy winch and I will edit the profile adding more lateral inclination and the NOTINVERTED/INVERTED effect to try to simulate more fast vibration!

The jrk warm really less than what I was thinking but I am near to finish to prepare the heatsinks+fans kit!

The vertical force seems ok! curbs, potholes, climb, down really can really be feel! (you can notice this when I hit the curbs or when I go out the track!
    Accelleration and braking inclination start to be reallly right, now I can feel my wheight pushing me!

All this it's really really much greater than I could imagine for my 3dof platform!
    I never tire of thanking all the guys from the forum! Really thanks for all!
    :yes: :cheers:

EDIT:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwNihjC7-88&feature=youtube_gdata
    preparing the platform to go!:
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey thats great! The motion looks good! Well done on that job. :highfive:
  5. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Thank you bsft! ;D

And here finally the relay configuration! :) Tested and working!

NEGATIVE POINTS :
    1) No more available the duty cycle, max currency, accelleration settings from Jrk config utility.
    2) The brutal force can be a problem when you need to move slow the motor for some tests. (I am thinking about using a potentiometer to reduce the power! So the negative point number 2 will be eliminated!

POSITIVE POINTS :
    1) SUPER FORCE AND SPEED, over than the power and speed you can see on my last platform videos (the weight that can be lifted increase really more!)
    2) really less heat from Jrk!

The motor will go at 25amps!!!!!.. brutal considering that for now my platform is already pretty brutal without using the relay configuration! (so 12amps max currency)

rele.jpg
    This pic show the configuration for a single package jrk+motor+battery
  6. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Here my vid of today! Really more lateral inclination than yesterday with duty cycle and accelleration at 100%!

Today I edited and modify the profile with more details, little and big details!
    Lateral but vertical movement too!
    In other words the rFactor profile it's growing well, day after day and I really like to use X-SIM math plugin section!!
    I add a collision math plugin too but today I was too good on my Formula3 car to make embarass crashing out the track so I can't test the collision plugin!
    :D

The change of the rear noisy winch is delayed to tomorrow with the repositioning of the lateral motors too. This to change the actual not perfect and potentially danger leg inclination when the leg reach the max height position. (from 2:43 you can notice that something get wrong and the left leg loose the right positioning)

but for today was too much like playing rFactor! :blush:

Ps: This time I reach to do some decent laps in Montreal.. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i557J85T ... tube_gdata

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i557J85TstY&feature=youtube_gdata
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Varooommm!!!!!
    I like the relay idea. I may use that on my own as I am running my jrks at 21.5amps. They have heatsinks on them and a fan though.
    :D
  8. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    If you use the relay method so not anymore the jrk providing currency to the motor!
    Without the relay method the jrk pick the currency from the battery and provide this currency to the motor.

With the realy method the motor will take directly the currency from the battery (his max amps. For the winch will be 25amps), not anymore is the jrk making this work.

So you could safely use the jrk without heatsink and fan because the jrk will stay fresh and happy! :)
  9. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    Did you notice that your rear motor is lifting off of the ground?
  10. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    yes! next weeks will be very important for many matters.

1) A new under dais is in developement, not anymore chipboard wood of 2 cm thickness as now. The new dais will be laminated wood of 3cm thickness. Really more resistant and solid.
    I am mantaining for now the chipboard wood because I am in full testing time. When I will find the final and perfect motor position in the dais so finally I will can change this weak and deformable dais.

2) the motors will be positioned at a height greater because I will change the motor bracket (that to which is attached to the leg) with one more 3 or 4cm longer bracket. This for obtain more speed and travel in the platform movement.

3) Preparing heatsink and fans kit until I am not using the relay method

4) Start to prepare the housing which will include the human driver (haha sorry for my english..)

5) Changing the rear noisy winch with another more silent.

:eek: ;D
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    as for the noisy motor, just turn the volume up!
    as for the relays, a thought, they are a on-off device, while the boards are more controlled. I think for myself, I may consider some extra motor driver boards connected to the jrk. This way I could get the actual motor control I prefer.
  12. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Good job Aldo, now the real development can start. :)
  13. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    @bsft: Ehh I need to change rear winch not just for the noisly and ugly sound but for a performance matter too. With the new one I will obtain not only a quieter situation but I will get a motor that mantain it's position without a continuous refresh position as now (the roar roar roar roar sound!! :) )

@Frakk: Yeah mate! Now the situation getting serious! The work still to do it's a lot but the actual results giving me the right motivation and the LIKE to continue to improve this damn thing!! For now my enemy number one is the PID, which remains largely a mysterious thing for now. I need to overpass myself to study and understand the real logic and way to edit in the right way the PID for my platform/motors request. Without a correct PID knowledge I will risk to obtain not just some legs movement errors but some bad damages too (as happen yesterday.. a poor Jrk is dead after that one legs loose the pot coordination and finish to touch the + motors... iron with iron.. electricity BOOM!.. :no: )

But I am too happy to cry for my poor Jrk.. just order a newest one today :)

I hope to show you better and more funny vids very soon! Stay tuned!.
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ah good to see I am not the only person blowing up jrk's. :D
    I bought a spare for just in case I do cook another one. So I have 3. Thats 2 in service and one backup. :hi:
  15. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    yes dude.. my poor Jrk was a good little soldier but the damn unlucky killed it.
    If I think about the dynamic of the accident I really get sad because was very unlikely that such a thing could happen.. Just a learned lesson :blush:
  16. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    Hi guys! here some news.

I almost finished the envelope cabin. Really many manual works but the result it's not too bad!
    Almost finish to mount the slides to make the door scroll smoothly and the padlock to block the door.
    I am choosing between magnet or mechanical item to make the padlock.
    I use panels of light wood, using cement paint + white paint to make the cabin white.

The structure is strong enough to receive the shaking movement of an hard driving style :thbup: (I hope..)

The finishes and some little details are not quite ready or perfect but the way is signed.

Over, I get the new jrk12v12 (after the boom of the other jrk :( ) and tomorrow I will mount it in the platform wires. Lucky in the accident in witch I burn my old jrk I check that the motor and battery are ok, I have left only to check the pot and If it will ok so tomorro my platform will back to life! :rofl:

for now I put some pic, I hope to can show to you some in game vids soon!

Attached Files:

17. BartS

BartS Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0
    AldoZ this is crazy man but I love it, you will probably get sea sick. Don't forget to pack a vomit bag under your seat.

I am planning on beginning my simulator project in a few weeks and documenting it here.
    I will be using 4 big wheelchair motors to simulate each wheel, 2 k8055s and 2 sabertooth 2x25s.

I do not know the power of the motors but I think they are around 300 watt each and I am hoping they are enough to push around 120 - 130kg.
  18. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    haha yeaa! can be a good thing to simulate the sea sick effect!.. all good for reach the total simulation!!... :sickish: :brows:

For your project I don't know how many force can provide a wheelchair motor, the 300 watt may not mean a really good force but this depends on many factors (mechanical, electrical ecc).

With 3 winches motor + 3 jrk12v12 ,my platform can lift over 200kg without problems.
  19. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    there is much lighter and thinner material that you could have used, plastic or black cloth from frabic store.
  20. AldoZ

AldoZ Member

Pc Shop
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    the wood I am using is plywood, really lighter, not too flexible and is above all very cheap and easily findable. To find same dimension panels made by plastic it's really hard (in my city it's impossible to find someone working the plastic.. :no: ) and the price would be better much more(my budget in this moment is the highest priority :eek: )

All the cabin, panels + alluminium brakets + cement paint + paint = so and so 75 €