1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

museumsteve's project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by museumsteve, Feb 5, 2012.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    I started making my racing rig around christmas because I wanted to make the most of Forza 4 and it's multiscreen offering. I made 3 x 38 screens and no bezels ;)
    Now I'm some weeks later, the setup is just about finished and now I decided I wanted to add motion.
    I'll start simple with a 2dof wiper motor setup and see how it works out for me.
    I use an earthquake miniquake for tactile feedback under the seat and it works really well but want to try the next step.
    I'm currently running:-

3 x Hitachi TX200 projectors (720p native)
    1 x 7 LCD (curently for rear view on Forza 4)
    4 x Xbox 360's (Forza 4)
    3 x PS3's (GT5)
    Fanatec CSR wheel
    Fanatec Clubsport Pedals
    Onkyo 309 for sound duties
    Yamaha 5360 for tactile feedback
    Earthquake miniquake shaker
    Pioneer SHS100 5.1 speakers
    Plus my PC which is running a XFX 6970 2gb and eyefinity

[img600px]http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=119&image_id=424[/img600px]
  2. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
  3. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Sick!

yobuddy
  4. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    It's awesome to play..now I've started to play with eyefinity and the likes of rFactor, pCARS etc I cant wait to get it 'moving' ;)

I'll be asking the most simple of questions..but yobuddy is sorting out boards/bridge for me so I just need to source the other stuff in the UK.

I'll gladly listen to advice/recommendations regarding what else I'll need and ideas for mounting.

I have the GT Omega seat/frame so I guess I'll be mounting the seat base on a universal joint and having the motors at the rear. I dont want to move the pedals or screen in the first build :)

Do people use anything for support the front, maybe a pair of springs or something or do you just rely on the UJ and the arms from the motors being attached.

Ideas for power to the motors..car battery seems pretty commonplace, is there anything else
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A uni joint on its own should be fine with a seat mover. You can add springs to the edges if you like to assist the seat staying in the centre.
    Car batteries are always a good cheap starter, then we usually move on to a modified pc psu, a bench top psu with at least 30 amps at 13.8 volts, and thats in parallel with a battery for BIG spikes of current.
    And then if money allows, a psu each motor, if it needs one per motor.
  6. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    From a tidy point of view..what would be recommended bench top PSU? Money isn't the most important factor, I'd rather have something tidier than a car battery if it wasn't gonna cost a silly amount. I like the idea of plugging it into the wall and not jump starting my rig everyday :D

EDIT - did a quick google and saw this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK650662.html is that the type of thing? and could it run 2 motors?
  7. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Spot on steve will work nicely i use a 20amp unit simular, but ya got a good price there.
    I would recommend jrks as controllers for simply setup and wiring or if ya handy with electronics try build yobuddys new cards alot simplier and neater than the old ones.

Nice projector setup, im green with envy i could only afford one, still i got a 1800mm screen.
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lucky you Eaorobbie! I am still stuck with a 24 monitor!
  9. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    I've been doing some fiddling around before I get into the motion side of things..

I've got the consoles off the floor racking to give me more space
    [img600px]http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=119&image_id=426[/img600px]
    I've been playing with iHud for rFactor. I wanted to use my 7 LCD screen for more than just FOrza's rear view mirror so I put iHud on my iphone and using an iphone to av lead I plug it into my 7 LCD :)
    [img600px]http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=119&image_id=425[/img600px]

I added tennis handle grip to my CSR after my mate decided to grip the wheel so hard the alacantra started to come away. Now it's meaty and hides the CSR's join on the rim :)
    [img600px]http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=119&image_id=427[/img600px]
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looking good.... :hi:
  11. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    I am currently a bit stuck as I head towards motion :(
    I have a GT Omega rig which is great but I'm not sure how it will cope with motion. I can obviously take the seat off and make mountings etc but I'll also have to put the whole frame on a new platform to allow mounting the motors because the frame work currently stops at the back of the seat.
    The frame on the GT Omega is tubular, which isn't the easiest to work with. When I first got this (just 2 months agao lol) I had considered motion, I just wanted to race.
    I'm seriously wondering if I should be looking to start again with a frame ...
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It should be ok, just a matter of finding the balance point.
    You will probably need something bigger than wiper motors though to move it.
  13. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    You could always use 4 wiper motors, design it for 4 motors and build it now with 2 and see how it works. Leaving the “upgrade” too 2 more motors for later if it’s not needed.

If you need too, add 2 more motors to the front, centered in the 4 corners around the balance point as bsft suggested.

Wire them in parallel, so you pull more Amps and I would start with a 30a inline fuse.
    If it blows - move up 5 amp's...

Although technically speaking, the Mosfet’s on the H-Bridge handle 55v at 47a. :cheers:

That’s allot – lol

I'm guessing the stated 50v input max on the H-Bridge is because of another part on the PCB (I'd have to look at the part list again), so don't go above 50v and you should be fine.

yobuddy
  14. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    You could always wire them in series, and use a 24v power source. (2 batteries)
    Then you would pull about the same amps as a 12v system, with double the power!

I would try the above first thou.
    yobuddy
  15. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    There's a pair of 100mm SCN5's for sale on marketplace forums but I dont know if I made an offer for those if I'd regret not getting 150mm ones..so many options and so little experience :(
    Why do you guys not live in the UK ;)
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  17. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    lol..I'm sure I replied to this :D
    Anyway, I'm not planning on moving the whole frame/rig, just the seat (certainly at my first attempt). However, the more I think about it the more I think I wont be happy until I get a more permanent and plug n play and less DIY solution and grab a simxperience kit or something :s
  18. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Just paid for a 100mm SCN5 kit from the marketplace forums ;) so hopefully next week I'll get 'moving'.
    I look forward to updating here as I progress :)
  19. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    While I am still deciding whether to build a new frame or use my existing GT Omega..can someone give advice on positioning of the actuators.
    I see most actuator rigs are using 150mm units and the ones I have coming are 100mm. Can they still be used in the same manner, as in up to around shoulder height on seat. I appreciate they dont have the travel of 150mm but I'm keen to start planning :)
  20. museumsteve

museumsteve Member

Retailer
    Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Where to start..

I picked up some Frex profile from the marketplace to go with the SCN5's and last night got round to putting it together.
    I also bought a new bucket seat to complete things as I planned to sell my GT Omega Pro once the motion rig is finished.

[img600px]http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=119&image_id=430[/img600px]

[img600px]http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=119&image_id=429[/img600px]

[img600px]http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/gallery/image.php?album_id=119&image_id=428[/img600px]

Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed how this is turning out. I cannot see that there is enough framework to complete things as I cannot get the actuator angle further back, which I'm sure I do need to do. Also, there's nothing left over for anything else like wheel etc.

When testing the actuators they are really aggressive but I assume that's down to the lack of damping and/or the narrow angle they're set at.

Also, when trying to use the test profile it tells me to make changes to the settings as it's for an old version, I dont want to start messing with numbers just yet.

So, I am torn between:-

1 - perservering and buying more aluminium

2 -buying a simexperience seat base kit

3 - Using my GT Omega which is a steel frame. Fixing that to a wood/MDF base so I can fix universal joint and actuator points where I like (as well as hiding cables etc).

Someone please give me some words of encouragement :(