1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Moto Monster too weak - any alternatives?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Pit, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,418Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Hi

I had to find out the motor driver "Moto Monster" is too weak (or the winches too strong, it does not really matter...). The practical continuous current is 14 A, the max. 30 A. My system needs ~ 20-25A. Very hard turns of the motors are too much so the motor driver stops to prevent any damage.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10182

As an alternative I got informations about the Sabertooth 2X60, it can supply two DC brushed motors with up to 60A each. Peak currents of 120A per channel should be achievable for a few seconds. The Sabertooth is Arduino compatible.

https://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/sabertooth2x60

Thank you - any suggestions and comments are welcome :)

PS: I hope it is not the wrong forum...
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi!
    Sabertooth is designed to send back current to battery when motor is turned into a generator under load:
    follow their advice "Use a battery or at least put a battery in parallel with a DC supply."
  3. Pit

Balance:
    30,418Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    OK, so no chance for a 60A+ motor driver (no DIY board)? I do not mean the china sh** from ebay... :)
  4. Pit

Balance:
    30,418Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  5. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Hi @Pit , The sabertooth can be used in either analog or serial modes with an arduino and the proper code. I believe some code has been posted previously for serial mode from ericRacer but I'm not positive.
    I don't understand you're last two post though! You said you don't want china shit from ebay but yet you linked to china shit! It's just not thru ebay! Whats the difference in where you get it from or did I misunderstand something?
  6. Pit

Balance:
    30,418Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Not all of China is shit, I ask for moto monster alternatives, what else. My English is not the best so sorry for being irritated about my request.
  7. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Agreed! It’s more about the design and manufacturer than it is about what country it comes from! But I don’t know how to tell the difference between shit and a diamond when it comes to electronics (other than specs) until I try it myself or someone else does whose opinion I value! So just because it’s from china and its on ebay in and of itself doesn’t necessarily mean its a bad product even though they do push a lot of crap there! Thanks for the reply and I’m not irritated, only curious!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Pit , what winches are you using?
    I know that @eaorobbie ran winches on a full frame with JRKS for years with no problems and got really harsh motion.
    Also @AldoZ , whom is not active ran 3 900kg rated boat winches on a 3DOF lift style platform with JRKS and again no problems.
    And with stuff from China, there is licenced and properly built product as well as cheaper alternatives.
    I was shown a $15 JRK copy, it had solid state relays, not mosfets, and switched at 50ms, not 1ms. There can be alternatives and we all have to be cautious of what we buy.
  9. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,660Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,009 / 9 / -1
  10. Pit

Balance:
    30,418Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    http://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/buero-...rlan-12v-elektrische-seilwinde/v/an731328482/
    Last but not least @value1. His configuration is quite similar
    If I would buy an jrk I will buy an original one, they are really expensive but IMO worth the money.
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    genuine jrk for sure, worth the cost
  12. Pit

Balance:
    30,418Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Pit, I am surprised that you are having issues with the Chinese Moto Monsters. I use two on my rig and my winches are tossing around 500lbs of weight (me@350LBS, three 32" TVs, a dozen controllers, steel frame, etc etc.).

True, it could be the winches that you are using, mine are the more conventional multi-gear type while yours is a planetary gear type but still surprising.....

EDIT: One Chinese Moto Monster (CMM) for Axis 1 and Axis 2 while the other CMM pushes the traction loss winch.