1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Motion for the disabled

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Orion, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Orion

Orion New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Greetings,

I have been racing sims since the days of Indycar Racing by Pappy. Within the last three years I have lost some mobility in my legs. I use racing as a way of keeping what motion I have in my legs. I am wanting to design a sim pit that would help me stay in the seat longer. Currently I race from my power chair and with the pedals on the floor. The ergonomics of this causes me to keep my legs lifted while driving. At the end of 100 laps I am wiped out. So on with my search for a better way to play.

Due to my limited mobility I am needing a cockpit that is easy to enter and exit. No sitting on the floor and no climbing over the top. I need something I can step up to and sit down. I would like to have the ability to add motion to it at a later date. I have been searching online for anything along this line and I'm coming up blank. If anyone has a suggestion or recommendation I would greatly appreciate it.

I have years of experience working with wood so if it can be kept in wood that would be a bonus. But if need be I have a friend willing to fab up anything I need.

Thanks

Orion
  2. estanislaolopez

estanislaolopez Member

Balance:
    18Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimforceGT
  3. Orion

Orion New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes those are both very nice motion builds. The things I would need is a way of supporting my legs. But I guess I could make the seat swivel and make a hoop for the wheel to mount on and allow my legs to go through. Definitely a possibility.
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You didn't find much information about this because you are the first one brave enough. :)

From your description I think we can rule out seat mover designs where pedals and wheel are stationary.

Your needs will be different than other simulators so the regular advice I could give doesn't work. You have to see it yourself what is comfortable, and how much room you need. The main thing is to design from the drivers seat out.
  5. Orion

Orion New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is there any general rules of thumb when it comes to incline of the seat and distance range of the wheel or height of the wheel? I drove a Ford Mustang for years and was comfortable in it, should I try to get measurements to the pedals, seat, and wheel to work my way to a design? Also I had read that the sims with the motion under the base was less then idea. Is that just an opinion or is that fact? Is the center of movement better in the center of the driver?

Orion
  6. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think making the cockpit easily adjustable is a better idea. That way you can play with different distances and find the most comfortable one. If you can move the wheel in and out, it will help you get in and out of the cockpit more easily, and also allow you more flexibility in design.

The place of the pivot point depends on the whole geometry and type of simulator. If the whole cockpit is moving then the pivot is better above the head. If we are talking about a sim where only the seat moves and the rest is stationary, then pivot needs to be below the driver. I wouldn't be too concerned about it because having a pivot point above the head is mechanically a very big task.

You could consider gimbal type simulators like the Joyrider to find balance. There are many great mechanical designs on the forum, I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.
  7. estanislaolopez

estanislaolopez Member

Balance:
    18Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Orion and Frakk,
    If it is true that with a simulated type joyraider is easier to find the balance, but would complicate the way up to it, I think we should think of some design like Deriy to support the wheel on the right or well supported from the front just above the pedals, leaving the leg room, could get a car seat and make some system to turn to board the simulator ...
    I hope I was clear with the ideas ... Traslator use

Regards
  8. fermevc

fermevc Member

Networking and telecomunication
    Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Exactly what I had in mind :)
    There could be some seat mechanism that would allow the seat to rotate horizontally (90 deg's) and lock into proper racing position when you get in it. And the wheel stand should be on a console, eg. at the left side if you rotate the seat to the right to get in.
    Of course, if you decide to go into motion later whole platform should move including pedals (Deriy style simulator, but I would include the monitor on it).
    I'm sure there someone who could make a quick sketch (I'll do it if I find some time) so others can contribute with ideas.

1.jpg

BR, Igor
  9. estanislaolopez

estanislaolopez Member

Balance:
    18Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes Igor, your drawing is perfect, that's what I meant as is the seat and steering wheel support :highfive:
    I believe that together we will draw a good design !!!

Regards
  10. Orion

Orion New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible to use a pivot under the seat to not only allow easier entry but have a third axis of movement? (Yaw) What would work as a good bearing under the seat to achieve this?
  11. Orion

Orion New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Never mind I just happened to think the seat would be the only thing in YAW so it would feel strange when the pedals and wheel didn't go with you.
  12. Orion

Orion New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok I have dug through enough old post to find a design that I think will work for me but I don't know if anyone has actually built it or not.
    download/file.php?id=4367&t=1
    It looks like it would be easy enough to transfer into from my power chair even if I loose more mobility later down the road. He stated in a post that he was going to make it out of laminated wood. I can make this but I need dimensions on things like the pivot points and such.
  13. fermevc

fermevc Member

Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    No, I meant only to tilt the seat so you can get in easy.
    After getting into the seat, you yaw the seat into racing position, and wheel stand don't get in the way for your legs.
    Whole setup can be made movable later, or if you like, motors could be designed from the start (slight modification of my sketches needed).
    And for third axis (yaw), I know it can be done (search for 3DOF posts). IMO 3rd axis is maybe needed for flight sims, but few people have built it for racing (drifting), so ...
  14. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  15. Orion

Orion New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like it, I really do. Any chance someone has some measurements on this thing?
  16. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hahaha!!!! This was stollen from the guy (Doc) that stole it from the joyrider creator (acesim).... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember Doc was asking me if I could design for him a motor kit for this design! :rofl: :mug1:

Here is the details... :brows: http://www.acesim.com/main.html
  17. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi,
    i agree with fermevc a yaw axis is a way you can com better in the seat
    and you can make a better drift feeling with a 3 axis for yaw.
  18. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I am well aware of that Thanos, but the original design is kind of problematic for someone physically disabled now isn't it? :)

Even athletic people can find it a challenging to get in and out of the original Joyrider. The construction of the Dreamflyer solves this issue, that is why I referred to it.

Orion: I don't think the specific dimensions would be too useful as you would need to modify it to your needs anyways.
  19. Orion

Orion New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok just to give an update of where I stand. I am putting the simulator part on hold till I can get my pedals and button box made. I thought I would be done with it by now but due to shipping issues I am having to redo the way I am making the PC interface. IE I am going from Leo Bodnar's circuit board to a home made Mjoy16. The parts have been ordered and I am waiting to receive them.
  20. fermevc

fermevc Member

Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Good luck :thbup: