1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial Mjoy16 USB AVR Joystick

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by tronicgr, Jan 3, 2008.

1. tirta

tirta Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no, I use sokol1 design.

hi sokol1,
    do you receive my pm?
  2. vincibb

vincibb New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Finally everything runs good on my Mjoy with atmega8. I found that in Elnec pg4uw software before programming you have to mark Lock & fuse :D Thanks all for help
  3. fooons

fooons New Member

Técnico Sistemas Informáticos
    Balance:
    272Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys,

Have you tested the Mjoy16 on a PS3 system? .

I don't know if is possible to connect to this device, because has a Home button to activate the pad. May be this function can be programmed for this.

If someone have any idea, please help me!!
  4. razie1

razie1 New Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi guys
    im hoping that you can help me out

when i plug my mjoy16 in it works for 30 seconds then disappears,
    in the device manage it says error code 47
    It does work perfectly on my wife's win7 laptop but not on my XP pc

ive read somewhere that i should install libusb. i did this and yes it does stop the code 47 but shows up as a libusb device and doesn't show up as a controller.
  5. ice_pdb

ice_pdb New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all!!, I'm new to this forum. My name is Pablo, I've built Mjoy 16, original pcb, sometime in 2009 for a school practice... we were practicing soldering and components placing. Just basic stuff. Now I found the board in some box while doing a full house cleaning, and wanted to give it a try and see if it was working (and build a HOTAS). For my surprise it is working... somehow some parts... I added some pots to the axis and X;Y;Z;RX,RY are working perfect. RZ,slider and dial don't go to cero when jumpered to ground. When I connect a pot to any of that not working axis the 3 of them more together. At different level.

Since I don't know much about IC programming, just basic component placing, and soldering, I can't determine whether my IC is faulty or the PCB, or maybe some components is broken.
    So I came to this forum, and realized that there a lot of great people that know much more than me, so I'd thought maybe someone would want to help this incautious man :D :sos:

Ps: I can't find atmega1616 here, but I could find atmega8-16 maybe if I can't make it work fully I'll have to build mjoy... (I was thinking of that with fast response 8ms one....) but I've read this thread and didn't get where are that project files, pcb, component list and firmware.

Thank you who read this post!!!, and hope you can guide me a little!

Sincerely Pablo,

Ps2: Excuse my weird English. :D
  6. xgitarrist

xgitarrist New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    razie have you solved your problem? I am having same issues. However i couldnt find a good solution to this problem.

Are you using a pcb or a breadboard? I have a breadboard, but after a several days i couldnt find any errors. Maybe some parts are broken.

xg
  7. xgitarrist

xgitarrist New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, here is an update. Maybe someone can use this.

I noticed when i plugin my Mjoy16 the USB voltage drops from 5.16 V to 4.86 V. The Mjoy16 is recognized. After few seconds the Voltage drops to 4.80 V and device unkown. After that the Voltage stays around 4.80 Volt. The thing is, I dont know if the Voltage drops before Mjoy disconnects or the other way around. I think first Mjoy disconnects, because I used external 5.1 V power supply. Same problem.

Its interesting, sometimes the Mjoy would stay connected for 2 minutes, sometimes i plug it in and directly device unkown.
    A few times Mjoy stayed connected (no disconnect) but after a while i couldnt use any buttons or axis, but Windows says Mjoy Status Ok.
    Its like the Atmega16 just stops working and i have to replug it. Maybe its defect. I think I will buy some new parts.

xg
  8. razie1

razie1 New Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry i haven't found a solution other than using windows 7.
    its weird because it used to work till i reinstalled xp
    im also using breadboard, when i can get access to a laser printer i will try and make a mjoy with a proper pcb, hopefully that will fix most of my problems.
  9. razie1

razie1 New Member

Balance:
    - 20Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    by the way has anybody else been having problems with toggle switches and rotary encoders on column 1 mode 2. when i used them they turn on multiple buttons,
    not sure if my board is dodgy or that the is a bug with the firmware
  10. Fer_tec

Fer_tec New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dear friend Thanos,

My name is Fernando and I would like to know,
    How can I get the file .asm (source code in assembly to works or modify) Mjoy16 the USB AVR.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks
  11. Sokol1

Sokol1 Member

Balance:
    14Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -1
    Fernando,

When Mindaugas leave Mjoy-16 project back in 2004~2005 he make available to free use only the .HEX code, not .ASM.
    For Mjoy8 the .ASM code is available.

Sokol1
  12. GeorgeBoles

GeorgeBoles Member

Balance:
    4Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -2
    Is my MJoy 16 losing its programming?

Good Afternoon All,

A quick bit of advice please.

I have not used my Mjoy16 for about one year and I plugged it in last night. Everything seemed to work reasonably normally except it is now identified in Control Panel>Games Controllers (XP) as:

}J16.

It used to be identified as:
    MJ16.

I fixed this by searching the reigstry for }J16 and corrected the only entry to MJ16.

But I still wonder:
    Is it possible that the programming of the chip has become corrupted or is becoming stale in some way? What causes such strange things?

Edit and Additional: I don't know why but everything has started working correctly again. Oh well. I shall enjoy it while I can. 6/11/2012

Regards and thanks,
    George
  13. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I'm wanting to build this board by Senetor to use in my rudder pedal build : mjoy16-usb-avr-joystick-t726-120.html And I'm wanting to make sure I'm getting all the necessary parts.

I'm not listing the number of items, just the names.
    10uH Inductor
    2.2kohm 1/4W 5% Carbon Film Resistor
    4.7kohm 1/4W 5% Carbon Film Resistor
    82ohm 1/4W 5% Carbon Film Resistor
    10kohm 1/4W 5% Carbon Film Resistor
    10uF 16V Electrolytic Capacitor
    15pF 50V Ceramic Capacitors
    ; I'm not sure about these being 50V, should they be lower?
    0.1uF 50V Ceramic Capacitors
    Square Equipment Mount Socket ; USB-B
    40 Pin .100 Straight Male Headers
    2 Pin .100 Straight Female Single Headers
    ; The buttons use two pin right?
    3 Pin .100 Straight Male Polarized Hdr.----------- ; For the Pot's.
    3 Pin .100 Polarized Header Connector
    1N4148 100V 200mA General Purpose Diode
    1N4728 3.3V 1W Zener Diode
    12.000MHz Crystal Oscillator
    ATMEGA16-16PU ATmega16 40-Pin 16MHz 16kb 8-bit Microcontroller

AMC specific:
    BC547 Transistor
    BZV55 5.1V SMD Zener Diode
    15kohm 1/4W 5% Carbon Film Resistor
    D-Sub 9 Cont Female PC Mount Connector ; I don't have a Printer port so I'll have to use a 9-PIN to USB cable.
    6 Pin .100 Header Connector
    Grey Ribbon Cable - 10 core
  14. Rjfon1

Rjfon1 New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good Morning/Afternoon all.
    I came across a website which appears to be selling a prebuilt MJoy16 out of china. I've tried using a google translator as it is in chinese, but it works poorly at best. I have a neighbour who has relatives that may be able to find out more. If you look at the pictures, the second covers the headers, so I think it may have 8 analogues, 64 buttons, ?16 toggles, a ?hatswitch. minimal components, an ISP header. Seems to cover all bases. For those interested, here is the link:

http://ershou.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2 ... 0450432927

There is another product that they sell, but seems to only cover the analogues
    http://ershou.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2 ... n_list.htm
    Anyone read chinese?

Thanks,
    Rob.
  15. Rjfon1

Rjfon1 New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here are the pictures of the device in the attachments
    Rob.

Attached Files:

16. Dejv00

Dejv00 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone, greetings from Czech Republic and thank you all. Thanks to this thread i did manage to build my own Mjoy with atmega8 (6 axis, 28 buttons).

Everything works perfectly exept i got a problem with buttons.
    They are working perfectly until i use longer wire. Than when i press some button it activates 2 sometimes 3 buttons at the same time. First i did try it with button matrix as it should be. Then, thinking that it might help, i removed button matrix, and used just specific wires i need (with diodes ofcourse). Didn't help :( . With short wires (about 5cm long) it has no problem. But when i use 20cm and longer it just presses more than one button.

Does anyone know what could possibly cause this problem?

I appreciate any help.

Thank you for reading, Dejv

PS: i just found out this: When i connect number 3 to 11 (numbers on PCB), it presses number ONE button. But when i do that with longer wire, it presses number ONE and number EIGHT in windows utility, witch should hapen only if i connect number 3 and 2 to 11.
    I hope i explained enough to understand :)
    (sorry if my english is bad)
  17. Rjfon1

Rjfon1 New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Try using shielded wire to avoid any interference which I think is the problem. The shield should be the common ground. I had a similar problem when I used unshielded wire on the pots for the axis. Caused alot of jiggering.
  18. Dejv00

Dejv00 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, thank you for answer. I will try it...
  19. nfko

nfko New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -6
    HI Guys,

First,I want to give attention that I am from Slovak Republic and my english is bad.

OK lets go, i made this project 1 week ago and my result not working. I don't know why, I designed pcb by schematic and widows my device not recognized. I have WIN 7 64bit and WIN XP. I tried connect to pc second device on breadboard, this device windows not recognized too. Can you help me ?

Here is my pcb
    http://imgupload.sk/images/3/w/3wf4g17h4gz5v46cazuk.png
    http://imgupload.sk/images/8/6/86ytli9d4eq22cnrix58.png

BTW C4, C5, C6 are 100n ceramic no electrolyt
  20. GeorgeBoles

GeorgeBoles Member

Balance:
    4Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -2
    HI nfko,

I get a pretty picutre of a pussy cat when I click you links saying no hotlinks!

If you can tell us how to look this up, then might be able to help.

Two most common reasons: soldering error and incorrect setting of your programming device.

Make sure the array of resistors (?100k if I recall correctly - I do not have schematic with me) between all of the pins of the AVR chip are included. On the original schematic they are NOT on the main diagram but hidden somewhere else.

Regards,
    George.