1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial Mjoy16 USB AVR Joystick

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by tronicgr, Jan 3, 2008.

1. RobiD

RobiD New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos,

It's been a little while. I have a habit of getting the 'gotta haves' and making things when they are not needed yet.

So now I am up to using the MJoy properly and I have sorted out the problem above (yes you are correct, that is why smoke was coming out).

I now have another problem. After calibrating, which it doesn't like doing (using windows' little tool), the aileron and elevator are quite jerky (by jerky, I mean they can jump to either extreme and back in a millisecond) and sluggish. I have played around with some of the axis settings in FSX to no avail.

I am using K100 B type pots. Slide type for all except the ailerons (rotary). Do I need to look more at insulating the wires against interference (I am using ribbon cable).

Your help and advice is always appreciated.

Thanks
    David
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi RobiD,

Use shielded audio cable (also called Twin Screened Audio Cable) for each pot as in the next photo:

twin_screened_audio_cable.jpg

http://www.homestead.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=55686

Following the color of the cables in the above photo connect the red cable to the +5v, the black cable to the W (wiper) and the shield to the Ground.

Try using pots with smaller resistance. 10K or even 2K pots are often used in real joysticks since they privide more noise immune signal.

Also try not to have left unconnected pot ports cause can produce interferences to the other lines too. If needed connect a jumper cable between Wiper and Gnd of that port.

Thanos
  3. RobiD

RobiD New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Thanos, I'll try it and let you know.

David
  4. RobiD

RobiD New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh, one other question.

If I change one pot to say a 10k pot, do I have to change the others to the same?

Thanks
    David
  5. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  6. pnekdo

pnekdo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hallo friends, here Pitr,

I see here your project Mjoy16. It look very nice, so I try it build before 10 days and
    these 10 day i have many troubles with this.
    I can´t make good electronics, but some small things I can do.

So. I build your mjoy avr usb joystick from your link
    download/file.php?id=339

I have programme it with your programm:
    download/file.php?id=345

but I have trouble which are here describe and this is:
    that windows write: Unknow device after connect usb port.

I describe it:
    - I programm it well with ponyprog. Its right.
    - I tested it on test electronic board
    - The capacitors C4 - C6 are with polarity? I buy it with polarity 0,1 uF
    - Which zener diods I must connect? Which is correct specifications?
    I become this questions in the shop, so I tell only the informations here and they dont´t now what I need
    - I have connect only one potenciometer at port 23. The others I try connect one to GND and then i try not connect this others ports
    When I connect only one potenciometers, must I connect the others to GND or can be the other connectors without potenciometers
    not connected?
    Windows write every: Unknow device....
    - Very bad question: When I have zener diod, to GND i must connect pin without the black line, its true?

Please, i know that this are the basic questions, but I very like the imagine that i can fly with own simulator
    and this is the way...please help me friends

Very, very thank you and best regards,
    pitr
  7. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi pitr,

-The C4 - C6 are non polarity capacitors.

-The Zeners I used are the 1N4733 , 1/4Watt (3.3v)

-Yes you can connect the rest unused pot ports to the ground to avoid them jumping up and down their values. This happens because the internal ADC system had the feature to leak to next channels...

I don't understand the question... If you have connected the circuit to a USB port without the Zeners you may have damaged your USB port, or the Atmega8 chip, since these Zeners do voltage regulation down to 3.3v !!!!!!

Can I have some photos of your PCB board or the circuit as you have it connected on the Breadboard (testboard)?

Regards ,Thanos
  8. pnekdo

pnekdo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    TRONICGR first I very thank you for your answer - your help.

You write:
    The C4 - C6 are non polarity capacitors
    Ouuu I use polarity capacitors / please which specifications must they have?
    In the shop i must say that the capacitors must be: non polarity 0,1 micro
    farad? ceramical? Its right please?

The Zeners I used are the 1N4733 , 1/4Watt (3.3v)
    In the afternoon a go buy these parts, thank you

I connect the circuit to USB only with ZENER diods. Thank you.

In the afternoon I buy right capacitors and ZENER diods and send here photos, as you write TRONICGR.

VERY THANK YOU TRONICGR, BEST REGARDS and NICE DAY.
  9. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For the C4-C6 capacitors, ask them as 100nF /100v (same as 0.1uF) ceramic.

Also use the two 15pF capacitors next to the 12Mhz crystal !!!

There is also a coil you need to use: 10uH (microHenry).

Regards, Thanos
  10. pnekdo

pnekdo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank for your help THANOS.

I buy all of this parts, whish you describe today.

Only i want write, that i try this circuit only with one potenciometer and without buttons, i havent there buttons. And I havent external battery or power. This circuit is connect to power from usb after connect usb connector from circuit to PC...

I have system at PC: Windows XP SP2 with all upgrades

You write:
    There is also a coil you need to use: 10uH (microHenry).
    Yes I use it...must be this coil with special significations?
    I say in shop only: coil, 10uH (microHenry)
    You write:
    Also use the two 15pF capacitors next to the 12Mhz crystal !!!
    Thanos, yes, I use this capacitors. That I have right.

So I think that i write all, afternoon i send photos.

Best regards and nice day THANOS,
    Pitr
  11. pnekdo

pnekdo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hallo, so I buy the parts :

1)
    BZX55/3V3 ZENER DIODS but its 0,5watt ...they don´t have in shop 1/4watt
    2)
    TK 100n Y5V RM5 its ceramic capacitor for 50V ... they don´t have it for 100V

for 100V they have only rolled capacitor: MKS2/100V 100n/J so, I buy it for certain

Please, which capacitors ROLLED or CERAMIC i must use and can I use this ZENER DIOD?

Thank you very much.
  12. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    These looks fine.

-100n Y5V RM5 ceramic capacitor 50V
    and
    -BZX55/3V3 ZENER DIODE

:thbup:

Thanos
  13. pnekdo

pnekdo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hallo,

I change the parts : ZENER diods and capacitors and the PC wrtite, that device is unknow....
    I dont now :no: where is problem i change every parts and the problem device unknow always exists....

I make photos with bad camera, so I must look for another camera and send better photo. Now i send the bad photo in attach

Have a nice night,
    pitr

Attached Files:

14. pnekdo

pnekdo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hallo so I find some better camera and make some photos, please see you some wrong connect of parts, for example zener diods and USB cable?

Thank you very much
  15. pnekdo

pnekdo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And now I send yet only the HQ picture of the circuit..
  16. pnekdo

pnekdo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hallo,

so I clear the test board again, because it was not functioned and there must be some errors.

--- I build circuit again from begin - in the circuit from photos of testboard was error.....

and

It functioned..... :) but please help me...

It functioned for 30s... in the game device show me MJOY16, but after cca 30s is this disconnect and windows write,
    that : the device stop right functioned and proclaim error...

In 30 second of right function i can open properties and i show 4 colums and when i move potenciometer, all of this 4 red colums go up and down. It is OK. Then i connect all of emty pins od potenciometers to gnd and then in properties is cursor in the middle position and when i move potenciometer it go only in horizontal position to the right or to the left. Its OK. But after 30 second MJOY is self disconnect. Not only after 30 second...but after 10s or 50 s too. After last trying of this circuit it happen, that MJOY is not disconnect for all the time...he stay ON for all the time.

Please, do you know, whats going on, here?

Thank you very much.
    Pitr
  17. pnekdo

pnekdo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanos, please do you know, what is this random behaviour?

Please help me.
  18. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Most of the interferences can be from the breadboard nature by all these cables running all around. I'd suggest now you got it working, to transfer it to real PCB board, or even on predrilled veroboard.

Be sure to add all the required capacitors to filter any electrical noise and use a proper USB connector.

I really can't help you in making the circuit stable on breadboard. Any circuit you make on breadboard should be for proof of working only, not a permanent build.

Regards, Thanos
  19. pnekdo

pnekdo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much, this is for me big help, that i know that the interferences exists....

So, i go develop...

Thank you very much pitr
  20. Senetor

Senetor Member

Balance:
    594Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos,

I have just noticed, that on your PCB diagram, one of the Zener diodes is connected to the wrong end of 82 ohm resistor.

Regards Senetor.

Attached Files: