1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Michaels SFGT Wipermotor Simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Michael N., Jan 6, 2008.

1. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Michaels Racing-Rack-Professional Nachbau

You can swap motor cables so it can rotate the opposite direction. If you do it right, the motor will center it self and on LCD you will read a value near 500 for the potentiometer reading. On your final cockpit cockpit mounting it behaves opposite than expexted you could invert the potentiometer +5v and Gnd connections or just invert the software axis on profiler...

BTW, it that a 10-turm potentiometer? You should use a simple 270degree for the way you want to connect it... The motor will rotate only 150-180 degrees after all, in a simforceGT sim...

Regards, Thanos
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Code:
    You should use a simple 270degree for the way you want to connect it
    I think a mulitturn pot connected via gears directly to the motor shaft should give more accurate positoning than a 270deg pot.

The difficulty is with a pot connected to the shaft, is to find a matching gear ratio for the pinions.

@Michael
    Did you selected the pinion ratio by calculation, or did you just connected ones to trial&error it?

To determine which gear transmission ratio is needed for the pot pinions, you need to know how may motor shaft revolutions the ww-motor does for a half crank revolution. Then devide the result by 10, and you know the correct gear ratio for the use of a 10turn multiturn pot.

regards
    Christian
  3. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I took over it from Elektronicsjack Simulator and it is a 10turn multiturn poti. HERE you can see and read it. Gear Ratio 1:3 (10 gear wheel teeth on Motor and 30 gear wheel teeth on Poti). I don`t know if this right :whistle:
  4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh, I see... You connected the pot on the rear end of the motor!!! :rofl: My wiper motors doesn't have their rear end exposed like that! :uups:

Its fine then I guess to use a 10-turn pot as the motor itself will rotate many times before the gearbox turn even half the output axle...

Di it work anyway? Can you post a video from its behavior?

Regards, Thanos
  5. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Meinst Du jetzt wie oft ich die Motorwelle drehen muß, bis ich eine halbe Umdrehung auf dem Potiritzel erreiche oder eine halbe Umdrehung vom Arm des Wischermotor?.
  6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

Jo, das meine ich.
  7. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Ok Christian,
    habe mal gezählt. Also ich brauche so ca 28 Umdrehungen am Motorritzel damit der Arm des Wischermotor eine 1/2 Umdrehung schafft. Also sollte ich mit der Kombination von 10er Ritzel auf Motorwelle und 30er Ritzel für das Poti richtig liegen.
  8. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Hi some News :D .
    It is not ready now but i have make a first movie from the first Movements of my Simulator :happy: . I think i have to turn off the light in the next Video 8) , because there is nothing to see from the game on the screen.
    Game is Rfactor with the Porsche 07 Mod, i use the Rfactor Profiler-File from DONDOGAN (it needs some more tuning for my setup) and set both KP-Parameter to 20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyjITO9WQyI
  9. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi Michael,

Great video!! I like seeing all these details. Such videos are needed in order for starters to know what goes where!! :highfive:

KP set to 20??? Isn't that too high? It will be just ON and OFF then, without any acceleration feeling!!! I don't recommend the use of KP setting larger that KP10 as it losses the acceleration action. :no:

Regards, Thanos
  10. christian

christian Member

Balance:
    997Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5, SimforceGT

nice video
    looks good :clap:
  11. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

I agree with Thanos. Your setup needs more tweaking. It moves not enough in the lateral directions, and it moves way too rough. Though it not occur that hefty if you add your own weight into the seat. Anyway, great video! I hope to see an improved one soon!

Regards
    Christian
  12. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Balance:
    - 33Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform

Great job!!! Mine is coming soon... Soldering de amc1.5 right now.
  13. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Hi, my PSU works now :clap: . Don`t know why, i only use a another electric rectifier. Now i do not need any longer the battery and the charger :) .
    I did some little changes to my simulator and i will make a new video this week, but with me sitting on the chair :D
  14. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Hi,
    here is the second Video (Porsche Mod with Rfactor), now with me sitting on the chair :D , unfortunately there is not much to see from the Game on the screen :blush: . I changed the position from the wipermotors, i mount them a little bit more to the outside.
    It`s really amazing now to drive my Racing Games with the Simulator. It makes lot of fun :clap: .

Now is the time to say Thank You :highfive: , especially to tronic for the great DSMhb H-Bridge and AMC Motor Motion-Controller, sirnoname for the Software, egoexpress, ElektronikJack (who inspired me with his wipermotor-simulator) and all the others who helped me :thbup: .
  15. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

The brightness difference between the LCD and the room is too much. You need a lamp behind your simulator, to equalize the brightness. It is too dark in your room.

However, great simulator. Congrats :clap:

Regards
    Christian
  16. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Ok thanks, i will try to make a new Video with a lamp behind my simulator . I think it`s better to see the track too ;D .
  17. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

So, the 3rd Video :D . Now, you can also see the Track (GP Track Nürburgring) :)

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=WzU6c9y6kwU
  18. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Great video!!! :clap:

But a view of the motors would leave more satisfied, some technical guys, like myself... :lol:

Am I wrong, or you have the wheel to close to you? It supposed to be positioned a little further so you can feel the pull (stretching) in you muscles as you turn....! :brows:

Regards, Thanos
  19. christian

christian Member

Balance:
    997Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5, SimforceGT

Great Video Michael :yes:

you need a schroth belt 8)

is this the quick step of the motors?

is the temperature of the motors ok?

regards
    Christian
  20. Michael N.

Michael N. Member

Balance:
    611Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

The temperature of the motors were OK but the temperatures of the electric rectifier was a little bit hot :eek: . So i took a Heatsink from an Old CPU Cooler, cut it in halves and put one halves on the electric rectifier. Afterwards i mounted a small 60mm 24V Fan who runs with 15V. Now the temperature of the electric rectifier is OK :D .
    As you know the motors have two speeds and i use the fast one. Is it that what you mean with quick step?.
    And Yes, i`m thinking really about a Schroth Belt :lol: .