1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Meet YAME: Yet Another Motion Engine

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Dirty, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0

yeah, it appears the only difference in the pro version is the amount of planes.
  2. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    I have added (very basic!) support for Condor2 :)
    YAME_Condor2.png
    Angular rates are available natively in Condor2. That's a good thing, for sure. :thumbs Accelerations are afaict world referenced, but I am hopeful that the proper accelerations (vehicle referenced with gravity) can be calculated from them.

There's still one thing that puzzles me though: Sometimes the export interface gives me "pitch=NAN" at very high pitch values (+/-85°). NAN stands for "Not A Number" and is often used to indicate/prevent a division by zero. However, the quaternions in the export interface appear to be unaffected, so there might be a workaround there...

All this took surprisingly long, because with 6 different sims supported now, I had to check every change I made against all the other sims and I had to add a "Source Select" window that lets users choose their source so that YAME knows what data to expect. Unfortunately YAME does not remember (yet) which setting the user last used or which would be most suitable for the vehicle profile, so the user will have to actively select it everytime for now. Hope to change that soon... [Edit: Done!]
    Yame_SourceSelect Window.png
    It also conveniently patches and unpatches Condor2 as well as all the other sims. Patching iRacing is not fully supported yet. Still some troubleshooting to do there.

The software should self-upgrade on next start :)

Cheers,.... :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  3. LeNinjaHD

LeNinjaHD New Member

Balance:
    79Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Motion platform
    Hi Frank,

thanks a lot for adding it! Cant wait to test it out at your place! ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. hideki

hideki Active Member

Balance:
    - 198Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    You interface the motors with USB-RS485 Adaptors and the like. Thanks
  5. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    OK,... that seems quite straight forward :thumbs

I can talk to a COM port, but what do they want to hear? How would I tell them to go to 50% extension for example. Are there any resources online about the communication protocol?
  6. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
  7. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Thanks, I will look into it. If YOU think it takes courage, it really means something :)

I had the same problem with the Odrives. Eventually @PeterW lent me one and then it all became clear.

So,... if someone has a spare SCN5/6 lying around... :D
  8. wingert

wingert Active Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
  9. DepartedReality

DepartedReality New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 37Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    @Dirty do you have any plans to add a VR virtual tracker for OVRMC/OXRMC?
  10. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Hmmm,...

well,....

kinda,...

sorta,...

:) ...not yet. ...YET!

But I have thought about it. I read on the OVRMC discord about a year ago that it uses a MMF and I saw a template that didn't look too complicated. I would sure like to,.... but with me not using a virtual tracker and with a userbase well within the single digits :) I have just not had the urge yet to do it just for the fun of it. Then again, with most people using a virtual tracker, how would that userbase ever grow :)

Reminds me of the "empty-dancefloor-problem" in economics:
    Empty dancefloor --> No-one's gonna wanna dance
    No-one's gonna wanna dance --> Empty dancefloor

Long story short: I would love to, but won't find the time for it for a few months at least.
  11. DepartedReality

DepartedReality New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 37Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Thanks for your reply. I know I'd start using YAME a lot more when you do add it! I'm sure a lot of others would as well

-Adam
  12. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    I feared you‘d say that :-D

I put it on the To-Do list and chances are you‘re gonna see me ask a couple of unbelievably stupid questions over on the OVRMC Discord some time soon :)
  13. DerKlausi

DerKlausi New Member

Balance:
    75Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hi @Dirty , will YAME work with Denis' rig using M4S and rotating actuators?

Cheers,
    DK
  14. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Hey @DerKlausi, (German?)
    So far, I don't support rotating actuators (yet). I have the math done for it, but since I don't have a system to test it on, it is a bit difficult to bring it to a point where I could have others test it with a clear conscience. And I don't want to implement something half baked to then ask the users to essentially be my Guinea pigs.

There are two options floating in my head:
    1. Output the raw DOF data to the M4S controller and let it do all the inverse kinematics. From what I hear, some are using that feature and it seems to be well tested.
    2. Adding the feature natively (as far as I can without the ability to test it myself) and then rely on feedback to make it safe and usable.

Both are actually not that hard to implement. What would take up most of the time is modifying the 3D view to correctly depict the cranks and rods of the rig.

I guess as a first step I could try option 1 and see how people get along with it. If you own a crank-arm rig and you're willing to do some testing and do a little bit of back'n forth messaging I could give you an experimental build... and if you tell me that you live in the Lake of Constance (Bodensee) region of Germany I will show up on your doorstep with a labtop and enough pizza to have it done before the sun rises! :)