1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Linear actuator using ClearPath Integrated Servo System @ 72V DC

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Dirty, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Dirty

Dirty Active Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    1,554Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    MCPV (Motion Control through Position and Velocity) Sounds interesting!

I use MCVC models (Motion Control through VeloCity and some other positioning modes for simpler use cases). They do have a "follow digital position command" mode too, but @Thanos said they were not well suited for motion simulation. They need to finish every move before starting the next. That can become a problem! I think Thanos tested them and I am grateful for him pointing that out to me.

Now, MCPVs might be a different ballgame. It might be that you can give them a "moving" target position and the motor updates its target in real time. You'd have to check.

Yes, they have a very generous return policy and friendly support. Somewhere in their manual it says something to the likes of...
    - we ship them to you,
    - you try them out,
    - we know you will have to mount them to do that,
    - we know that they will not be brand new after that,
    - please make an effort to be gentle with them, we cared well for them,
    - oh, what the hell... "Just don't run them over with a forklift!!!!! PLEAASE!!!!"

So, I'd definitely give them a shot if I were you!

Then again,... there are also SCHP (Software Controled High Power) models. That give you direct access to the motors internal data (position, velocity, torque, current, acceleration, jerk) I shyed away from them last year, because I thought I couldn't handle the coding part. In hindsight I think I better should've gone with them. And you as a software developer should be able to bring them to good use :) I think those are the only ones where you can actually leave out every position sensing and rely solely on the motors internal sensors.

Let me know,... I am excited someone else tries ClearPath motors.

Dirty :D
  2. hexpod

hexpod http://heXpod.xyz Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,202Coins
    Ratings:
    +101 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Follow position command” is a feature Teknic implemented very recently.
    Although I also have the mcpv (old ones) I can’t use their new feature because Teknic do not alow firmware upgrades arguing they did some changes on the hardware side.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. hexpod

hexpod http://heXpod.xyz Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,202Coins
    Ratings:
    +101 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Drop them a message with a SN of your motor. Maybe you will have more luck than me.

@Thanos said he can 1000 percent interface it
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    1,554Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    Ahh, interesting! Thanks!

I guess I have mixed up "Move to Absolute Position" with "Follow Digital Position Command".
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-13 um 20.54.13.png

I have found a video of it here. That mode sounds like you can completely ditch belt, and pot and rely on the motors sensors alone :) That's what I find incredibly attractive about them. And even in the standard version it would give you position control to within ~2.7 micrometers. Thats about a 1/10000th of an inch! (Assuming a ballscrew with a 5mm lead)

I think for now I will stay with the conventional position sensing via belt & pot and control through "Follow Digital Velocity Command". But if someone here on the forums were to try them out, and found that indeed they performed as precise as one would expect. I'd try to sell my MCVCs on eBay.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nisch

Nisch New Member Gold Contributor

Software Developer
    Balance:
    - 22Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Well I ordered one of the MCPV servos, power supply, and some various components to build at least one linear actuator. I'll get something thrown together to test out the follow digital position setting.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    1,554Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    Oh, that's goooood! Keep me posted how they perform. Especially how they find their position on power up. Do they still need a calibration routine? If you say "no" and you can confirm with the actual hardware, there's a high chance I will follow you.

...as soon as I get my tax return :D
  7. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,327Coins
    Ratings:
    +325 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Joyrider, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    I think they have a homing function on power up against a hard stop (torque limit ). At least that's what we did before with the older models with pulse-burst mode control.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    1,554Coins
    Ratings:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    Thank you! :)

I couldn't click "Like" and "Informative" at the same time. :)