1. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Download Package Now!
  2. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  3. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant here. Do not following these rules will lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.

Laser position sensors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by ryanosman, Sep 30, 2019.

1. ryanosman

ryanosman New Member

Balance:
    37Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Just thought someone might find this interesting.

Have always had issues with the position sensors on my Doron SR2. When they start to fail, they get noisy, which makes the machine move violently, which scares people, and damages the simulator (mechanical structure, joints and especially the 65" 3D TV).

Doron wanted several hundred dollars for replacement original linear (carbon strip) potentiometers. So, instead, I replaced them with magnetostrictive linear position sensors a few years ago... they worked great for a couple years, but they were not as weatherproof as the manufacturer said (grr!), and died from water damage. I felt they were quite expensive (~US$300 ea.) so two years ago I tried these 3D printed string potentiometers.

They worked great. I went with the cheaper wire wound ones, which were essentially 10 turn 10K pots. But again, after only 4 months of operation, the wipers inside the pots (not at the travelling contact, but at the base of the pot where the "rotor" wipes the ground ring) started to wear out.

Last week, I tried to install the magnetic contactless version of these 10 turn pots, but the problem I had was that the internal friction of the pots was so high that the coil springs wouldn't reliably pull the string back in.

So now I'm trying VL53L0X laser position sensors. I mounted an Arduino nano inside each sensor to convert the I2C into 0..5v PWM which is fed through a resistor/capacitor to become the 0 to 5 volts that the motion control card looks for. We'll see how it works.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ads Master

Ads Master

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. ryanosman

ryanosman New Member

Balance:
    37Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hooked up and working. Looks to be some noise on the lines - perhaps I'll look into it, but just the way it is... I haven't seen it move this smooth in years.

• Like Like x 2
  4. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    3,177Coins
    Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, 6DOF
    seeing stuff like this...

wow, i am very impressed by this DIY community!

i like it, sir
    • Agree Agree x 1