1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

keyboard mappin g to ttoggle switches

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by f1iceman, Oct 1, 2015.

1. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    I want to build a race type console dash for my sim and im in planning stage and was going to use the i-pac board to map keys to spring back toggle switches would this be a good way as its used for the arcade mame type stuff and cabs for the buttons.
    I want the dash/console to have lots of spring back switches to add as keyboard maps to in game selection so as not to use the keyboard so often and can be took out of site.
    I might run a micro keyboard aswell that can be chucked away easy for if need real keys.

Was also thinking the track ball for use for mouse but in like the bmw i drive type thing.
    All eary stage thinking atm tho but be nice to have it in my head which is a good way to go along.
    I would love a z32 300zx dash console as i loved that about my 300zx.

hope you like the sound of what i want to do, have lots of things rattling around in my noodle tho how i want it.
    Also thinking oif using a car stereo as they doi surround sound now and could have it all built in the dash.
  2. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    This could be an option i guess and will look beautiful in a dash console but have no idea if can use it as a normal mouse yet.
    3Dconnexion Spacenavigator 3D Mouse.
    be awesome if its works as a normal mouse.
  3. tombo

tombo Active Member

Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +246 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    I'm also collecting Infos and startet building something simmilar.
    For mouce Input i thougt of something like a touchpad. Like in new Mercedes Cars.
    The 3d mouse looks also very nice but very expenisve.
    Looking forward to see some Pictures of your Project.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    The idea im looking at is a race car feel look but a sim that looks the part as a car.
    The bit i like is the car stereo surround as its all used from dash and a normal head unit.could even use a screen with centrafuse front end to run music videos and anything you want. not that its needed but it would be there if ya wanted to.
    I think the spring back toggle switches would be good for race look with little labels to map games to them.
    I just forget to take the mouse of the side plate and its keep vibraiting off ! lol
    I would say ebay best bet for mouse just when they pop up, if like me no rush so can always keep tabs on it.
    I need to have alook at the new mercs now see what that is you have just said :)
  5. Kirk

Kirk Member

Sr Software Engineer
    Balance:
    15,087Coins
    Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor
    Have 5 (3x SpaceNaigator, 2x SpacePilot).

They don't emulate mice, but can be made to do some pretty wild stuff, especially if you know how to code.

They aren't any more expensive than regular mice if you buy them off e-bay and are patient.

As a 3D Mouse, I *really* recommend the SpacePilot over the Navigator. It not the buttons, but the base. With your arm resting on the base, it keeps the entire device planted on the desk, allowing you to make very subtle and precise movements. The Naviagator, for me at least, lifts up sometimes, despite it's weight. If you somehow attached it to a padded board or whatever, it wouldn't be an issue.

If you are whily with a soldering iron and microcontrollers, you can hack the Playstation version ($30).
    It's called the "Agetec ASCII Sphere 360 Six Axis Controler" or "ASCII Sphere 360".

But, it's more than a weekend project.

For a bit less work, there's the SpaceOrb 360 ($40, and much less on eBay)

It's serial, so just attach to a Teensy or Arduino Micro (both support HID), add a little code, and voila.

For about $50 you can get a Navigator (including shipping) and $90 for a SpacePilot (including shipping, but you have to be patient).

Both the ASCII Sphere and SpaceOrb were licensed from 3DConnexion (long ago). Details abound with a simple google search.

The 3DConnexion SDK is very easy to use. If you can code and have a simple grasp of rotation and degrees, you're good. No need to understand quaternions, but it's even more powerful if you do. (compared to the Novint Falcon SDK, which requires a pretty in depth understanding of quaternions and matrix math, I have two falcons, love them, but they are a bear to code for).

(I provided links to amazon for the SapceOrb and ASCII Sphere, but the forum ate them. Just search, they're available on Amazon and usually eBay too).
  6. tombo

tombo Active Member

Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +246 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    now thats a BIG list of options to look at brilliant thank you, im no programmer tho, my fav option atm is a track ball mouse !lol but nothing like a challenge and to look into things abit more.
    this is all thing to look into as when you have time you can get the bargains and collect bits n bobs.
    i also thought about the lil joystick like ps 3 controller as it can be a kit for arduino, im sure i came across one looking the otherday .
    Tombo thats got us busy now ! :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Archie

Archie Eternal tinkerer

Balance:
    3,796Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,379 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    A good option if you want to hack something is the Logitech K400R. It's Wireless. (Bluetooth)

[​IMG]
    You could likely solder direct to the keypads, but I've not opened up mine to take a look...
    I did buy it with the purpose of integrating the trackpad into my Sim Console.
  9. GIB SimRacing

GIB SimRacing Active Member

Balance:
    983Coins
    Ratings:
    +247 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I went and got myself an I-pac controller when I built my dash. Never had any problems with it. It's still going strong after years of use. Like you said @f1iceman - they are made for arcade machines which lets you easily wire up the buttons or switches of your choice.
    I do like the track pad idea for integrating it into the dash, that would look cool. Mind you, I still use a standard wireless mouse as imo you just can't beat using a mouse for navigating a PC.
  10. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
  11. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    i think this way would be most easiest n reliable, like you say still going strong.
    the idea is give a toggle switch dash but its really a keyboard so lable switchs and set the games to coraspond.
    im guessing the toggles would need to be sprung so to give 1 press n off.
    i could add track ball too which is not a bad option. then have mouse pad side of wheel as second option.
    it does sound so wicked to get this setup so no more keyboads n mouse just a car look all fully adaptable.
    even the surround headunit to have full control, with power to pc on toggles aswell.
    i will try draw something up shortly how i want it to look but i gotta sort what dash i want first.
  12. Archie

Archie Eternal tinkerer

Balance:
    3,796Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,379 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    If I ever take my arcade machine apart I will likely cannibalise it for the control card and trackball...

• Like Like x 1
  13. GIB SimRacing

GIB SimRacing Active Member

Balance:
    983Coins
    Ratings:
    +247 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    ...take it apart?:eek: I reckon getting a trackball and/or keyboard emulator like the I-pac in addition to the arcade sounds like a better plan.;)
    If I had more room I'd get an arcade...right after I got a pinny!:grin

BTW, did you build that machine?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Im abit of an aracde man :)
    ive got about 2o arcade machines i was just working on build for the cabs to convert to hyperspin ( really complicated to get working right tho) mala was my next choice ive done abit of the hyperspin and got it running but i feel it could be more hassle as its harder on the comp with all the extras going on when all you need is basics was going to sell the cabs then, i was always wondering if anyone has got hold of the delux afterburned the full motion version and done a conversion to a sim of some kind :)

can you imagine the original outrun with the motion added be like the real arcade delux one but at home.
    i also remember my first every seat mover which was the delux version of super monaco.

driving sim was hard driving at the time in the aracdes.
  15. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    you can not beat a good shoot em up tho and that era was where its at.
    flying shark love it, 1942 love it, r type.... ect
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    K800 is my choice for a "cheap dash" per say....and sure looks the part with the Amp/Volt gauges i recently did

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 4
  17. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    im not keen on the keyboards n mouse, i don't dislike em tho mines setup like that and it works, and that add on is wicked dude :) yes it does look the par t but imagine a full dash too look mega then and not look like a computer
  18. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    For me and my situation, Anything "dash wise" that i add essentially blocks my TV for regular TV viewing, I can only push my rig soo far off to the side and even then the wheel base blocks out about 6" of the bottom right hand corner of my TV.....So A Dash on either side of the wheel base would make it even worse, Part reason i chose to use a KB and have it mounted as i do. If i had more real estate to play with I would 100% build up a real dash like my buddy Henk aka Hoihman on GTplanet, as seen here.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...rbon-fiber-dashboard-gs-4-seat.245923/page-14
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. Archie

Archie Eternal tinkerer

Balance:
    3,796Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,379 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @GIB SimRacing - Yes I did build that arcade, I will start an off topic and upload the pics. Sorry for hijacking @f1iceman , continue....... :)
    • Like Like x 2
  20. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    all fun and games from me dude :)