1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

K8055 + Sabertooth + Wiper motors

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by adbgg, Dec 19, 2010.

1. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    yea a profile saving but all profiles are save to the magical cloud but you can still save the profilers separately.
    On k8055 unit there is a bug in current software not sure if it got fixed for v3 havent pulled me k8055 out of the cupboard to test, would recommend jrks for new comers with limited knowledge in electronics.
    And one with leds is better to me helps to see leds light up to make sure its switching correctly can help in bug tracking ya sim.
  2. stephane-d.61

stephane-d.61 New Member

Balance:
    341Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I try to save a profile. I clik on Settings and Save this profile to disk but I have this message : This option is only valid in the supporter edition of X-sim
  3. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    yes correct but in the new converter ya an still save ya profile like in ver2.8 they are the main ones ya need to keep a copy of but once they are in the cloud we all can load them or if ya have to reset up ya can redownload them from the cloud.
  4. -kevin-

-kevin- Fast e Furious

Termo Tecnico industriale
    Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, SimforceGT, 4DOF
    Very good! N, then that means this is a new version of the K8055! I can now proceed

thank you very much stephane-d.61 :thbup:
  5. el_txus

el_txus Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hi

very good job, I use this system to my simulator. I can I ask you a question?. can obtain the 5v for the potentiometer to the 5v output in the sabertooth? like this scheme

[img600px]http://www.simtxus.com/images/plano%20velleman.png[/img600px]

Best regards
  6. stephane-d.61

stephane-d.61 New Member

Balance:
    341Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hello, yes I think it's possible.
  7. eskudero88

eskudero88 New Member

Balance:
    - 24Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, SCN6
    alguien puede aportar una configuracion de profiler para este tipo de solucion wiper/velleman/sabertooth? muchas gracias

someone can make a profiler settings for this type of solution wiper / Velleman / sabertooth? thank you very much
  8. malpar

malpar New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone. First of all. Sorry for my patetic English. I´m making this proyect as aabbgg and other people.
    I have a problem and i think it´s because i´m using a computer´s PSU (12V DC) very cheap.
    I have proob all the conections with velleman´s software and it appeared that it´s correct. I can move the 2 motors side by side and the 2 potenciometers too, all manually in this software.
    [​IMG]
    It doesn´t looks like the picture. I see a blue bar up and down in AD1,AD2 (potenciometers) and i don´t know why. I suppose it is a different version of software

But when I try X-sim and when i change the value of the interface output to 40-60% it stops all. The PC´s PSU
    [​IMG]

Do you know if its a problem? or i have to buy one with 30-40A because i´ll want to have only one PSU

P.D: Ad1 and Ad2 (potenciometers) shouldn´t move when i move the motors or i have to config x-sim software firstly
  9. stephane-d.61

stephane-d.61 New Member

Balance:
    341Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    when you test your installation with K8055Demo. When you move the slider DA1, normally you should see the blue bar AD1 moving . The same with AD2 and DA2. Is that right?
    I think your installation stops because of your PC power supply that switches to safety because of intensity peak due to the brutal change of direction of rotation of the motors
  10. stephane-d.61

stephane-d.61 New Member

Balance:
    341Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When you set up the analog outputs at 55%, it is normal that the motors stop since it is the value that instructs the engine to stop.
  11. adbgg

adbgg Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi malpar,
    Hi Stephane61d,
    Yes, as Stephane61 has already said, normally the motor should stop when you fill in around 50% (55% exactly in my case).
    It means, 55% of 5V, so approximetely 2,5V, which normally stops the motor linked to the sabertooth.
    Maybe you should check again the switches of the sabertooth, to be sure everything is well configured. Indeed, there are several possibilities to configure the Sabertooth. PLease look at the beginning of this post, and read the Sabertooth user manual. It may help you.
    Regards
    Adbgg
  12. malpar

malpar New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks stephane. That´s right. I see the blue bar, ok. That´s correct
    How much Amperes should the PSU supports? 30A is enough?

Thanks too adbgg because without this threath i´d never be able to try to do it!!

The switches of the sabertooth are all On less the 4 with is OFF as you said in first page. It was ok yesterday. I can move in x-sim software when I want, but today making proofs I had reported that it shutdown the PSU even in 60%, so I thought it was wrong
    What kind of PSU are you using?

And a last question it´s what have you done to move potenciometers as the same time as the motors. I think its the most difficult part

Thanks, thanks, thanks
  13. adbgg

adbgg Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi malpar,

It is important that you link the potentiometer directly to the motor (NOT to the frame).
    - Potentiometer n°1 must give the position of the wiper motor n°1
    - Potentiometer n°2 must give the position of the wiper motor n°2

The potentiometer will give back to the K8055 the position of the motor. Sorry, I have no picture to put here tonight, but you may find some links in this post which refers to pictures of other projects based on this solution and built by other people.

This rule is important : the potentiometer must be linked DIRECTLY to the wiper motor.
    Otherwise in case the potentiometers are linked to the frame, my tests have revealed a kind of yo-yo, because if the 2 potentiometer are linked to the frame, when 1 motor is moving, the both potentiometers are moving also. It is not the good solution.

Hope you understand, because it is not easy to explain, without picture.
    See you.
    Adbgg
  14. stephane-d.61

stephane-d.61 New Member

Balance:
    341Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi adbgg :hi:

Malpar
    In my case, I have a 12V 30A power supply.
    To operate the potentiometers, I asked a friend to pierce and thread the wiper motor axis for screwing another axis on the rear. The potentiometers are actuated by a set of gears.
  15. adbgg

adbgg Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Malpar,
    Stephane reply is more suitable than mine. I didn't response exactly to your question, even if the rule I have explained is really important.
    To link the potentiometer to the motor, you can follow stephane61d advice.
    Regards.
    Adbgg
  16. malpar

malpar New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, thanks for the explains. I think i´ve understood perfectly. I have been reading a while and see stephane-d61 forum and now I know how conect directly potenciometers and motors. But i think it´s easy with a linear potenciometers likes adbgg

I´ll try it, so i have to buy a PSU and the linear potenciometers
  17. adbgg

adbgg Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Malpar,
    An other idea not so expensive : You can avoid pots (not easy to install), by using a joystick with sensors like this one.

[​IMG]

You place the joystick on the frame, you plug it to the PC, and you can get the position of your frame in feedback. Much more easy than pots.

Regards
  18. malpar

malpar New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone, abdgg and stephane

I´m here to make some more questions XD and to try to understand x-sim software.

Lest´s begin!!!!
    This is a photo of how i connect the pot and motor to make my test and practice with x-sim software
    [​IMG]
    I know that i have to modificate at the final. It is only to test

First I want to ask where is it the test-plugin in x-sim3?? I have only see it in version 2

In the same order of the tutorial, i create the axys (call longitudinal) like this
    [​IMG]

Then I made the calibration. I have put the maximum and the minimun of position of the pots and motor. I think the important position set is pot max and min to make the motors move up and down while the pot doesn´t reach that max and min. Sorry of my english. It´s difficult try to explain my problems jejej
    Then I configure Output Setup in positive, negative and stop in the middle of pot´s position
    I have to say that i made it manually

[​IMG]

Now if i start the software and in the testplugin i move the slidder i can see that the software moves the bar but i don´t know if it has only move the soft or the motors too.

[​IMG]

See the movement in x.sim

[​IMG]

When the motors must be in movement? I don´t know exactly
    Is it something wrong? :sos:

Meanwhile i am going to read again all the posts but the problem its understand everything

P.D: adbgg I have a friend that some years ago had the logitech wingman and we are going to looking for it too

Thanks thanks, without your help that wasn´t possible
    Best regards
  19. stephane-d.61

stephane-d.61 New Member

Balance:
    341Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Normally when you click on START, and you do move the slider 21, the graph must go up or down depending on where the slider is positioned. We would need some clarification on the engine behavior? Do they follow the graph? If movements are odd-sized perhaps there is a polarity reversal on the potentiometer.
  20. Daiky

Daiky New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to interrupt in this thread, but I have a quick question.
    On this page: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/app ... xguide.htm they say that you have to put a 12V battery in parallel with your ATX 12V power supply.
    Is this nescessary and is this ok for my battery? Won't it overcharge or drain it empty or something?
    Thanks.