1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

K8055 + Sabertooth + Wiper motors

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by adbgg, Dec 19, 2010.

1. -kevin-

-kevin- Fast e Furious

Termo Tecnico industriale
    Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, SimforceGT, 4DOF
    Hello guys I have moved away a bit from the forums simulators because of my job ... I wanted to know if they are working on simtools to make it compatible with cards K8055 + sabertooth because as I understand it is not compatible? Which cards should be used with arduino simtools etc. ..?
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @yobuddy , was there K8055 support planned? I cannot remember.
    @-kevin- arduinos are not expensive to buy and do work better than the k8055. There are a zillion threads relating to arduinos here with a few codes around as well. @RufusDufus , @prilad have good codes for these.
    I use JRKs personally as I am code hopeless.
  3. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @-kevin-
    The K8055 is obsolete and slow: some people made the upgrade and said it's night and day!
    I posted as well a very simple but effective Arduino code ;-)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. -kevin-

-kevin- Fast e Furious

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks for the clarification, David and RacingMat :thumbs give you a look at the Arduino boards and the various codes
    Should I build a sim to a friend of mine and I will use Arduino simtools and also to evaluate the differences with the K8055 and x-sim;)
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @-kevin-
    I can tell you now, you dont have to build two different sims to check the difference.
    Xsim plug ins run at about 40 ms.
    Simtools run at about 20 ms - faster
    K8055 runs at about 50 ms from memory.
    Ard runs faster that that.
    But I have to say the JRK is quicker again.
    I went from 3 years of x-sim and its updates and when I went to simtools, I noticed immediately the difference. Much better software, much better motion.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. -kevin-

-kevin- Fast e Furious

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I trust your experience in the field David is not doubt it! the only thing that I did not understand and that makes 50 ms K8055 talk about the time it takes to convert to command? in this case, the K8055 uses (20 ms old type) the VM110N that I use (2 ms new type) I took this info from the data sheet of the 2 interfacce.Può be that I'm wrong ... but looking at some video projects with K8055 (old board) are not very responsive engines and movements of the sim ... I find them too slow by comparison with my sim that mounts VM110N that is much faster in movimenti.I repeat may be that I'm wrong.
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not familiar with the VM110 so I cannot answer that. I can only go off comments and data from previous threads and forums.
    I helped @Rastus about a year ago. He was running a K8055 , or rather trying to for nearly 3 years and had little success. He bought 2 jrks and I helped him wire them up. Short story long, in less than an hour he got further in motion than in the previous 3 years.
    I know that the JRK is a 12bit controller with industrial PID built in. It reacts very fast. It gives sufficient changes.
    The arduino is a 8 bit controller and the code has to be written by yourself or someone else. Also in 3 years, it has come a long way, but still does not quite match a JRK.
    The VM110 is a board I am not familiar with, so if you know them and they perform well, please go for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    To help explain what Dave has stated, the K8055 or the VM110N both ran at 50ms from the old original software, because the pid control is software based and its communicating back and forth , just slows the whole process down badly. You get that with an unintelligent controller. Well in the other software it was only a speed controller, was never full PID controlled. I built a setup using both and the motion compared was night and day. But in turn with clever profile writing(which took ages to get right the right wasn't half bad.

We had not intended to support the aging K8055 but a request was placed by @yobuddy for a VB.net programmer to put his hand up and create the coded needed in order to make this run, I took a quick look and yes can be done all the info is on the Vellum site and we can guide them through the SimTools stuff,
    so the support might happen we just need a good programmer to put his hand up so we may help him/her through the process.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. -kevin-

-kevin- Fast e Furious

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok now I understand grazie.Dopo your answers with this configuration change from day to night are even more convinced to build quet'altro sim with Arduino and use simtools.Speriamo someone who knows how to program aid in this project simtools that as I see it is already well under way! and it would be nice to be compatible with other interfaces, so many people would be happy.

I wanted to ask you another question because I do not know these hardware: What hardware do you recommend to be used with arduino 1 as value for money? motion moster? or jrk? or other?
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @-kevin-
    differences between arduino and JRK
    Ardr and hbridges, cheaper by maybe $40-$60 over all in controllers compared to $200 for 2 jrks
    JRK $99 each, need 2
    Ard 8 bit controlller
    JRK 12 bit controller
    Ard home made PID in motor control
    JRK industrial PID
    Ard, have to write your own code
    JRK , no code to write and easy to get going.
    Ard,need separate h-bridge.
    JRK built in h-bridge and 30 amps continuous all day with heat sink and cooling. @eaorobbie has seen spikes of 45 amps through the JRK no problem.

Plenty of guys use the big worm gear motors and JRK with great success.
    really fine detail out of some motion, right to road vibration, cobble stones. It seem the arduino just cannot find that fine detail of motion like the JRK.
    And they still kick like angry mule.

Big DC motors and JRK rival SCN motion cheaper and stonger and give wild motion better than dbox at full stick.

Look at the amount of arduino threads. Lots of them, nothing wrong with ards, just a lot of people seem to need a lot of help.
    Look for JRK threads..........very few outstanding threads. Why? They just work.
    For the extra $50 ish you save on buying ard and hbrdiges, you still need a code, a wiring diagram of which guys here can help with no problem.
    Up to you of course.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
  11. -kevin-

-kevin- Fast e Furious

Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The only problem JRK and the price a little high but for $ 99 as I understand it is to read up on top.I'll start JRK hoping to succeed in building this sim 4 dof to my friend and to make it work properly.

Thank you so much david always available to help and I really appreciate it very clear in the responses :thumbs
  12. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    The above mentioned differences between arduino and JRK,
    it may come from the bigger latency and slower speed of the arduino code, there is something like an analog to direct port [?] programming, which is faster, but can't find out more.
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    codes are still being worked on, but it seems arduino cannot match JRK in performance. Ard is cheaper and please use them if dollars are tight. JRK is not cheap, but its performance shows it reason behind cost.
    that and people like myself are utterly code illiterate so I would be no where if it wasnt for @eaorobbie getting the JRKS sorted and going.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1