1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

K8055 - Dual Wiper Motor Control with Variable Speed

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by bigtalltim, Nov 7, 2010.

1. bigtalltim

bigtalltim New Member

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Check this out for more: http://www.x-simulator.de/wiki/Live_for_Speed :thbup:

Regards

Tim
  2. xXONESHOTXx

xXONESHOTXx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replay tim....I have since changed the transisters that were only rated at 1 amp lol so I have that problem solved.I folled around with the settings some and got movment in game now but it is very sparatic. As soon as I get time I will post some pics of the setings...... basiclly your default that you posted.Like I said I have not had much time to play with it but have made a little headway.Oh and i do have pots hooked up.......honeywell 50ks.50k pots could be the problem with the centering and the motors jerking alot? And thank you for the link I will give it a read the first chance I get.
  3. bigtalltim

bigtalltim New Member

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    lol - yep... that would be why they were hot then!!

but you ARE getting something, which is a big leap forward ;)

Please do - would be interested to see where you have got to...

The 50K pots may give you some issues... after much experimentation with different values I eventually settled on 10K pots... they seem to give the smoothest reading into the board with much reduced jitter. (make sure the pots are well shielded by the way as that also can cause problems)

You may also find that applying smoothing to your effects in the maths section goes a long way to solving your problem

Tim
  4. bigtalltim

bigtalltim New Member

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    today was a good day...

I've just been to a car boot sale near to me in belfast and picked up a bit of a bargain...

2 old rally car bucket seats for £30 for the pair!

001.jpg

002.jpg

A little battered, but perfectly functional...
    now I just need to find time to redesign the frame!... lol - will this build never end?!?! :D

Tim
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Tim, no it never does end......
  6. bigtalltim

bigtalltim New Member

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    :lol: - aint that the truth!! I can't imagine a time when I'm not tweaking one detail or another...

Pretty much every time I have been happy with something, new parts/equipment that is better than the old stuff arrives, and more than once the whole build has gone back to basics!

For instance, the VW seat I was using has proved to be too flat for the pneumatic rig... with extremes of position, you just slide off!... now these buckets arrive, and its total rebuild again!! (though I needed to reduce the centre of gravity anyway).

Should hopefully get some work done on it during my Paternity leave at some point in the next few weeks and again over the Christmas holidays ;o)

Tim
  7. xXONESHOTXx

xXONESHOTXx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys ......Sorry for the delay I have been really busy.Tim I am not by my cpu with the setups right now but I have a video on my phone I will transfer to youtube so you guys can see my progress and what I mean about the setup not all ways working right. The video will show you how sometimes it seems to be correct but other times it is random. I only have it setup on one axis right now. I have also noticed that my pots seem to slightly change when no motion is happening........very little like 155 to 157..... Even after changing to a 10 k pot..... And I assume this is why I cant get proper centering......you said I should make sure to sheild my pots....? not sure I understand what you mean by that...Well I do understand it but not sure how I should do that... Any suggestions?

Thank you for the help thus far, It is greatly appreciated!!!

Here is a link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axXMJ_4hNVQ
  8. bigtalltim

bigtalltim New Member

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    OK - so you are getting controlled motion, and feedback does seem to be working, but it is definitely a bit wild!...

if you are still only running with one motor, try changing the effect to simulate turning force instead - it should be easier to see what is going on when compared to the screen then... what effect is it that you are using at the moment by the way?

a few thoughts on the video:

You are always going to have difficulty with this design, as it is able to over run which reverses the impulse direction relative to seat movement (think of it this way... if the motor just spins out of control, the chair moves one way then the other, then back then first way then the other ad infinitum.
    You can see this over run effect in action - see the video at 0:19 and worse at 0:45.

Adding breaker switches to the design would prevent this
    (and the risk of over winding and damaging the feedback pots)

The twitching you describe isn't so obvious in the video... my guess is that it could be hardware, but is more likely to be an over sensitive profile setting. Try adding smoothing effects to your profile (in the maths section), and use a less savage effect like turning force.

Let us know how it goes - Good luck!

Tim

PS. When adding youtube videos in your posts, select the url for your youtube file in the post editor window, and click the youtube button above which will automatically tag the link... alternatively type then paste the link, then at the end type [/youtu..] (where .. = be) at the other end (I cant type both tags in full here, or it will try to preview this explanation as a link rather than letting you see the tags! ;) )

Here is the link to your video with forum preview as described:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axXMJ_4hNVQ
  9. fortplace

fortplace New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hiya all, I've been following Tim's relay set-up have & got the relay board built & K8055 connected, but when I test it in X-sim (as u can see in video) the motor only works towards the bottom of test slider, but relay only switches at the top of slider. As far as I can see the circuit is wired correctly. Incase this is a x-sim setup issue my current profile is attached.

http://youtu.be/iNtYlCeECMQ

Sorry can't seem to embed the video correctly so here's the link

Cheer's in advance for any help that you can offer

Attached Files:

10. bigtalltim

bigtalltim New Member

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi - first thing is to apologise it has taken so long to get back to you... I've been working away again, and was unable to get hold of a K8055 to test this... I cant open your profile without one!

The relay should switch at the middle point - it sounds like you dont have the split negative and positive check box selected. Double click on the effect in the maths section - the check box is about half way down on the left hand side of the resulting dialogue box.

Regards

Tim
  11. poteroa

poteroa New Member

Service Technician
    Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone.

A very interesting topic, been reading for few days, and definately want to try this at home. =) (sorry my english, just use it like twice a month).
    I tried to find the K8055-board as cheap as possible, and stumbled to vellemann´s home page...
    They have released a new version of the K8055 called K8055N. One exciting thing about the new version is that the command execution
    time is MUCH faster, only 2ms (K8055 has 20ms) so I think much more information could be passed in same time if got enough processing power.

I think I got lost with the component list for the relay board, so help me out..

Are the the right ones: (for two wiper motors)

2 x 1k ohm resistors, (wattage?? 1/4 - ½ - 1W)
    2 x transistors, 2N6284 or MJ11016
    4 x diodes, 1N4001
    2 x relays, 12 volt 10A dpdt (is there a solid State version with same pinout and raster with less than 100mA consumption?) (Much faster I think)
    2 x dpdt sockets

I am thinking of using VW Golf/eurovan wipermotors (not original ones) cause they are quite cheap, only 29.90,- euros/piece.

Powersupply would be 2 x 100Ah 12 batterys + 18A Charger

I think I don´t need that H-brigde, do I ?? If I use only the relay thingy..
    How about the x-sim profile for the simulator, is it hard to do configure on my own?
  12. Rebo

Rebo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like to take advantage of the bank holiday weekend with a trip into town abit later today and swing by Maplin with a shopping list.
    I have the 20mm box section for the frame and the matching pair of wiper motors ready, Now I just need to get the electronic components together.

Is there a set list to use for the K8055+Relay setup yet?.
    Can the relays be built up on bread board. I do have a cnc that I can use for the pcb but I would need a mach file.

I know diddly squat about electronics so I can't just guess at component type, values but can follow build instructions well enough.
    Could someone post a 'complete' list for me.
  13. bigtalltim

bigtalltim New Member

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely - read the thread ;) ... there are several!

see the very first post for an index, and the second post for a list of components
    (... and my comments below for the components I first used - and still use! )

yes indeed - read the thread ;) This was first suggested by Frakk on page 2...
    have done it myself since to test other components. it's very easy

there are a number of well documented examples contributed by other people that have tried breadboarding this circuit in this thread - I recommend you search them out, as you may be able to avoid any problems that have been worked through before

you dont need to know much about electronics - just read the thread dude! -
    That's why I wrote it - it's instructions from start to finish... :thbup:

Effectively, the list you asked for is on the first page in the second post - the circuit is so simple that I deliberately didn't force components on anyone in case they couldnt find them and might think it wouldnt work with any other type from those listed... the components are so unbelievably simple, that you can pretty much make it up as you go along - other than the relays, all my bits came from maplins lucky bags! - this has to be the simplest DIY electronic solution by a mile... and the cheapest! I can't find an easier way of achieving variable speed multi directional motor control (and believe me... I have tried!!)

Here, just for you is the list of bits (with Maplin codes) that I used - the original circuits STILL WORK despite many hours of testing under load
    Apologies to anyone in a country that does not have Maplin

each wiper needs:
    DPDT relay £4.99 each - N08AW
    Relay Socket £1.69 each - N32AW
    1K resistors £0.14 each - Dude - a 1K resistor is a 1K resistor :lol:
    2 diodes (from a lucky bag... about £0.10 each) - ANY that can take at least 12v and 15A - never had a code.
    1 NPN Transistors (from a lucky bag... about £0.15 each) - I used BUX127, but have 6 different types now, all of which work well

thats it! - the component specifics just dont matter. As long as minimum voltage and current requirements are met and/or exceeded, it will work fine. If in doubt, just ask an assistant to help you choose a diode and/or transistor - they are usually pretty clued in :thbup:

page 14 post 9 (how it works) will help to understand what each of the bits does and how it all hangs together...

This should definitely help you with understanding where each component goes in the circuit, and make troubleshooting easier

Regards

Tim
  14. bigtalltim

bigtalltim New Member

Balance:
    361Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys - It's been a while, but I'm finally working at home again!!! :yippiee:

Hoping to move things on significantly and improve on old builds over the next few months - also intending to post finalised test profiles and (when I finally get all my stuff back out of mothballs) some clips of my set ups in action

Regards

Tim
  15. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hey Tim,