1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Just started my 6DOF Rig

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by sci666, Nov 15, 2022.

1. sci666

sci666 Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    939Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    sorry for the delay. . i just wired up everything to the base over the easter days new ...so no video of the movements so far :)

i will do it this week , if i find a timeslot :D
    • Like Like x 1
  2. sci666

Balance:
    939Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Here it is. A quick Video with project cars

• Like Like x 1
  3. sci666

Balance:
    939Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    i will do some more photos of the almoust finished rig and a better video with some more informations what i've done ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sci666

Balance:
    939Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    so just a few more Pictures, i need to do some cable Management for all the USB and sound Cables ;DDDDD

soooo, there are one Push Fuse per Motor

for cooling i use just a cheap ARGB Fan set from Coolmoon (ebay, amazon, ali express)
    because the front and side motors getting a bit hot because of the front heavy rig, but with the coolers everything works well !

Sound System, Subwoofer integrated in the Base is a Logitex X 540 from ebay (30 euros :-D )

2 active USB 3.0 Hubs one in the Base and one in the upper rig.

Just one central Plug Panel for Power, USB and 3 Channels Audio for the X540 !!!

For the Bass Shakers i use a CSL 7.1 USB Soundcard, i dont want to wire ever channel to a second PC card !

Works very well !

Sound card is wired up to 4 cheap Amps (the red ones - from amazon) i got 7 rockwood bass shakers

PSU for the motors in the Back of the base 3x 720 Watts

1 additional 70 Watt 12 Volt PSU for the 12 Volt Stuff (wind Simulator, Cooling Fans and the Emergency stop Button)

in the electric box there is a relais for the emergency Stop fo the Motion Motors (Eltako ER12-200UC - which needs an electrical signal - in this case 12V to close the 230volt - if the signal is cut the 230volt will also be cut)

Wind Simulator is an Arduino with relais which is driven by Simhub

Dash is an old Samsung 7 Inch Tablet which is useless for other Task these days ;D Dash via Simhub.

There is a Touchpad and underneath a mechincal 4x6 keypad from aliexpress which can be remapped in any way you want.

the ignition Box is also arduino based with a racingcar button plate from ebay/amazon/ali express

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

next step:
    -do cable management
    -make a hood for the electronics in the base
    -fine tuning in the Software
    -find a solution for the bad working vive Tracker for motion compensation
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  5. sci666

Balance:
    939Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    small update in text form.

i do some finetuning and i think i find some smoother settings for the rig in SMC3 and in simtools as well.

i found the reason why the tracker floats away so often .... after many tries to avoid reflective surfaces in the room i did some deeper reserch for this issue... i found out that these trackers are extremely (!!!!!) and i mean EXTREME sensitive about vibrations !!!! so if the rig vibrates the tracker lost the tracking and floats away !!! so your motion cancellation go nuts !!!!

the rig itself vibrates because of movement and also from the bass shackers .. in my case 7 pieces .... so the whole vibration goes through the rig into the tracker .... i construct a special holder for the tracker with rubber bufferings to decouple it from the metal holder itself .... aaaand i decouple the metal holder thing from the seat with some foam layers (all very provisionally) but it works much much better ...got almoust no floating for the moment.
  6. sci666

Balance:
    939Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Small Update:

triple Screen bolted to the ceiling ;D just small 24 inch 144Hz Monitors, maybe later update to something curved ... main purpose for the rig is "VR" !

Belt Tentioner in the Back with one of the previous 120Watt Motors - Doubled Surge Channel with "mechanical"cancelation of Belt loosening

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. sci666

Balance:
    939Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    experimental Gas Strut to eliminiate the heavy front weight:

[​IMG]

the wood circle thing just laying around so i used it as test base :D will be changed to something other
    the gas strut is from my old cars trunk hood ;D

i tried it because the front motors getting very hot due to hard load and with this it is totally fine ! and i didnt notice any negative impact, smoothing or something like that ... its very well balanced like this. i can raise and lower the front part with 1 finger and it stays in position
    • Like Like x 2
  8. sci666

Balance:
    939Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Youtube Video :
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1