1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Junkyard 6DOfG

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by NoGhost23, Aug 30, 2022.

?

AC or DC motor

Poll closed Sep 13, 2022.
  1. AC

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. DC

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. NoGhost23

NoGhost23 New Member

Balance:
    46Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    So it begins……

Like many others here i have been fascinated by flight, racing and things that go fast and far. By extension the machines that simulate these things are also highly intoxicating and luckily in this day and age much more accessible.

Then last year i knocked together my first rig to house a G29 racing wheel bundle for my son. For your consideration i present the MKI-

D6241D2C-EE19-4F0D-BA5F-0201D1A0C9B9.jpeg

Granted this was a rushed and rudimentary project. The main goal was to make an additional chair for the XBOX room and test my sons interest level.

In this the MKI succeeded brilliantly and now it is time to kick things up a great big notch….

The idea is to build a 6DOF Hexapod Rig. The broad constraints are-
    1. Used or recycled materials where ever possible.
    2. Reliability and safety (fire, mechanical and electrical in particular)
    3. Lowest cost possible. Not to be cheap (and yeah to be cheap) but to build on the works of @silentchill (how you built your rig for 2K is staggering) and @peacemaker (use of easy to source off the shelf components).
    4. Locally sourced where ever possible.
    5. be somewhat moveable - my son IS winning every science fair between now and graduation or so help me.
    6. The project has to look fast standing still

Note- I reserve the right to abandon the above constraints and throw money at the project when ever i think my wife wont find out.

On the plus side-
    As far as fabrication is concerned i have access multiple 3d printers, a TIG welder, more power tools than you can shake a stick at, vacuum bagging equipment and a decent amount of experience in fabrication.

Holding me back-
    Whilst I have built a couple of 3d printers, rewired multiple cars, boats and motorcycles electronics are a mystery. coding is witchcraft.

And that is it.

Thank you for your future inputs and help.

Now I am off to the local electric motor repair shop to get schooled on why what i propose can’t be done while at the same time costing a fortune.
    • Like Like x 2