1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

joy stick control

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by terry wells, Apr 20, 2014.

1. terry wells

terry wells Active Member

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    By changing what settings would slow down my joy stick control? I have read the manual over and over and I am sure that I have missed something. My motors keep going when ever I try to use roll or pitch. here are my settings that I am using at this time. I am using Sim Force GT for my defult preset.
    Terry W.

Attached Files:

2. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Terry,

Your potentiometers need to be connected to the motors in order to give the software feedback on where the motors are at any given time.
  3. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    could you give me a wiring diagram on how I might do that? I have them hooked up pre drawing using the SMC3 software. The motors do stop at some point when I level out the aircraft in the game but then the platform is not in the position that I am flying the aircraft. Thanks for the reply.
    Terry W.
  4. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Terry,

It is not a wiring job, you have them wired correctly. The shaft of the potentiometer needs to be physically connected to the output on the motor. The motor needs to not only move the platform but also the knob/shaft of the pot.

Look at the pictures of my winch motors and my potentiometers, notice the gear linking the shaft of the potentiometer to the output gear of the winch motor. This is how the software knows where the motor is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When the pot and motor output are both facing the same direction (like mine are) they need to be moving in opposite directions that way when the motor moves counter clockwise the pot will move clockwise. The motor is always sort of chasing the pot to move it to the desired (by the software) position. If your motor moves in the same direction as your pot then just reverse polarity of the motor.

Hope this helped.

David
    • Like Like x 1
  5. terry wells

retired military
    Balance:
    734Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    David
    That makes total sense, I am going to try to connect the pots to the motors some way for this proto-type that I built but in the future when I start to build my platform I think that I will be using the winch motors. Thanks for the pictures, I will keep you informed on how this will work.
    Terry W.
    • Like Like x 1