1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Is the full speed of the SCN5 needed?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Roonster, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Roonster

Roonster Member

Balance:
    609Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hello Everyone,

Great site and an amazing amount of good information, thank you all for sharing so much.

I've been looking for alternative actuators to the popular SCN5 and I'm wondering what is the minimum speed to get similar results to SCN5 setups. I know the SCN5 max speed is 400mm/s, but are many actually being run at this speed. I've read some comments here in the forum that some SCN5 setups are running with settings quite a bit lower with good results.

I appreciate any input.

Sincerely,

Paul.
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    This is largely a matter of personal preference. SCN5 Actuator speed at 100% with lower acceleration values produces smoother motion and because of the lower acceleration, it is not too fast. IMHO, a more realistic feel can be achieved without cranking the speed value and using a higher acceleration but in past threads, I have been the minority with this viewpoint.

I think that it is safe to say that you need an actuator that is capable of at least 300mm/sec for a 2DOF design. If you intend to add a rotation axis then you will definitely need all 400mm/sec that the SCN5 offers.
  3. Roonster

Roonster Member

Balance:
    609Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the insight Bernard. :D
  4. sjlabuda

sjlabuda New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been wondering what speed the SCN5s are running at in these 2DOF designs. The speed thrust curve of the SCN5 would lead me to believe they are not running over 250 mm/s since they only have 2Kgf at this speed.
    http://www.servo2go.com/support/downloads/SCN5.pdf

This makes me wonder if the SCN6 would have sufficient speed to run these types of simulators, since they have 2 times the thrust of the SCN5 at 200mm/s and nearly 3(SCN6-040) times the thrust at 100 mm/s.
    http://www.servo2go.com/support/downloa ... -60kgf.pdf

Steve