1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Inprogress 4dof Motion Rig

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by MincTy, Sep 14, 2021.

1. MincTy

MincTy New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Over the last year I have gotten deeper and deeper into the motion sim world. A few years ago I started out with a Logitech steering wheel setup. Eventually made a janky wooden racing setup for some heightened immersion. Later I got my first Oculus and was beyond hooked. So, I started researching motion sims and was disappointed to see how expensive they are to buy prebuilt ones. About a week later a DIY motion sim actuator video showed up in my YouTube suggestions, which was well within budget. I watched that video dozens of times and still sometimes reference it when needed.

I have ended up designing my own actuators but they are strongly based off of several well known creators in the community. I am in America and wanted to be able to easily get replacement parts from local stores. I'd say I'm midway through my build, possibly farther, but finally have enough progress to start posting on here about it.

I will be posting my STL files and a parts list for everything I have ordered. I hope I can share some of my struggles and help others build their rigs.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2021
  2. MincTy

MincTy New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    It's been a long process and a lot of test prints before I got the actuators to a point that I really like them, but finally we have arrived. My designs closely resemble that of PeaceMaker's and SilentChill's actuators. Being in America and wanting to source parts locally, kind of forced me to redesign most of the actuator. The motors that I am using are the 80-ST servo motors coupled together with 600mm 2005 ballscrews. I opted for the 2005 ballscrews because I wanted a little bit more strength with only having 4 actuators. I hope these designs help. More build information to follow.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. MincTy

MincTy New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Blown apart view of what the inside of my actuator looks like

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  4. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    I am intrigued in your 4DOF design, as these actuators are designed to be used in a 6DOF?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MincTy

MincTy New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    These actuators are based off of designs for 6dof setups but I don't see why they cant be used for 4dof. My hope for the project is to be able to build a 0dof and add actuators and climb from 2dof to 4dof to 6dof as funds become available. It is a little tricky but playing with rig geometry will be key during each phase. I will have 3D models in the coming days to show what I mean.
  6. misoswan

misoswan Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, JRK
    you think 80st 750w servo motors with 2005 ballscrew is powerfull?how much will by kg one linear lifted? i have in plan follow you stl but for 6 dof .thx
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MincTy

MincTy New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    From what I was reading from other builds, the 1605 ballscrews with 80st motors could lift roughly 350 lbs. I went with the 2005 because others said at the longer lengths they were having a slight bending issue. I am also going for a very unconventional rig design and wanted a little extra strength.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MincTy

MincTy New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    It is still a work in progress but more CAD and rig geometry to come this week

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. MincTy

MincTy New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    I've been leaning how to make constraints and now I am finalizing the dimensions for the base and geometry for the actuators. Here is a progress pic of the frame

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. misoswan

misoswan Active Member

Balance:
    1,006Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, JRK
    hello any update :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MincTy

MincTy New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    100Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Not much physical progress has been made, but I have been learning a lot and doing smaller projects. Work should be slowing down in the next two weeks. So I should be able to weld the frame, the base, and machine the remaining components that I need for my actuators.

I did just complete a DIY hand break to install in the rig once its done haha.

I will be sure to post some pictures and videos in the coming month as I get the rig assembled for the first time. Stay tuned!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. dirigible

dirigible New Member

Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    This is a very nice design. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress. If the rest of the build is the same quality as your handbrake, you're going to have a beautiful rig.
  13. LADSim

LADSim New Member

System Engineer
    Balance:
    - 128Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Good Morning,
    Thanks a lot for your STL Files, I m create a 6Dof motion sim using 2010 ballscrews with 80st motors.
    For the moment, I print some parts in 30% PETG using this settings in PrusaSlicer to add a structure every 20 slice:
    https://opensfx.com/3d-printing/#settings
    The first piece seams very stong