1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question I'm Sure this is the wrong place.... but I need help

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Slybynight, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Slybynight

Slybynight New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi Guys

I couldn't find an appropriate sub-forum, but I have a specific question.
    I have a 5 monitor setup running on 5 PS3's running GT6.
    I love it.
    I have no interest in VR.

My rig is ready to install 2DOF motion (cardan and anti rotation in place, arduino and wiper motors sitting on bench....), but I really want software that will:

1. output motion data
    2. enable me to play online
    3. support 5 monitors - yes ALL 5. 3 will not suffice!

Happy to buy PC, but confused over which software will do all 3 of the above.

Please help.
  2. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,908Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    @Slybynight
    You actually need different stuff for each of the 3 things you listed buddy.

You need motion software for this like SimTools.

This is game dependent, if the game supports it, it will work.
    (and you online lol)

This would be dependent on your PC setup.
    Nvidia has a triple monitor solution that can be extended i bet
    (but have not looked into it)

Hope that helps,
    yobuddy
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Slybynight

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    I didn't word it very well. The crux of my question is "Will all PC race sims support 5 screens IF I have sufficient graphics cards?"

I see lots of triple screen stuff, but not many 5 screen.
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,908Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Look up nvidia surround.
    It basically lets you setup a multi-monitor system where the PC thinks the end result is a single monitor.
    Should work as well as a tipple motor setup since its using the same stuff but with 2 more monitors.
    (i don't have the hardware to test it out thou)
    But I believe its what you are looking for.
    Take care,
    yobuddy
  5. Slybynight

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thank you so much @yobuddy - very informative. So basically, stick with Nvidia and I should be good for all main race sims?
  6. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,908Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
    Well AMD has it also, but it's called 'Eyefinity' I believe.
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-014

With all the new hardware coming out, I personalty would wait till after the holidays to build a new PC.
    It's been a fun few months watching AMD knock the socks off Intel, and giving Nvidia a run for their money.

As far as gfx goes, if you want ray-tracing, Nvidia is really the only game in town still.
    If your not worried about ray-tracing but want 4k, I would still go Nvidia.
    If your pushing 1080p or 1440p monitors thou, AMD may be a better choice.
    We will know more once the hardware has been out for a bit longer.

Please know that not allot of people have 5 monitor setups, myself included.
    So it's hard to say for sure how the setup will go.
    I would probably call/email EVGA (if going Nvidia) and tell them what you want to do.
    I'm sure they will point you the right direction.

Take care,
    yobuddy
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dan Aitcheson

Dan Aitcheson Member

Balance:
    - 3Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    You will need 2 graphics cards to run more than 4 monitors. I don’t know if it is still the case, but nVidia surround used to be limited to 3 monitors, AMD eyefinity supported 6 (they even made some special cards with 6 Dp outputs)
    I used to run a 4 monitor surround and I had 2 AMD cards to do it as nVidia didn’t support more than 3. That may have changed now, you’d need to research it.
    AMD would also allow mixed resolutions
    • Informative Informative x 1