1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles Plugin with DashBoard data

Discussion in 'SimTools Plugins' started by prilad, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Eaorobbie is exactly correct, in a light aircraft you absolutely can feel the plane move sideways even going in a straight line toward your target regardless of the orientation of the nose. Turbulent air (including crosswinds) can result in quick heaves and sways (yes, slip is sway). This is less noticeable in large or powerful aircraft where thrust rather than lift is the main component of flight. But, even in powerful aircraft slip can be induced and can be felt but it is on purpose (never in an airliner because you do not want your passengers feeling an upset stomach, lol) :D

I agree with Prilad, I too was thinking that there must be a way to use Azimuth to calculate the yaw.

-45/45 is a good value for slip/sway as unless the plane is at a complete stop then the direction of sway would only be up to a 45 degree angle from the direction of intended movement. By the way, bringing the plane to a complete stop often has disastrous consequences (stall) :D

Take a small plane tour of Mount Pilatus you will understand what I am talking about. The turbulence around that area is awesome (especially in that darned little cableway car, lol).

The point is moot with a 2 or 3 DoF platform, where it really matters is with a 6DoF rig which can accurately mimic those movements.

Regardless, I want to thank all of you for taking the time to discuss this issue. I know that the main focus for most people is racing platforms and none of this matters for that section of the hobby. But there are more and more flight sim enthusiasts who have been looking for a way to bring motion to their home made cockpits and SimTools is the right software for the job. I am still trying to learn how to program but I am far and away behind the three of you.

David
  2. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    Hi
    The simulation platform doesn't care if you're flying or racing ;)

I'm working with RufusDufus on the right data for traction loss (skidding) and the best results we get from what you describe as yaw: the difference of the direction of speed and the heading of the car.

Now this is only necessary, because a traction-loss system has a limited rotation range of like ±40°.
    On a full-blown 6DOF with 360° horizontal rotation, instead of the difference you would just take the heading and the resulting feeling is exactly the same (well, or better).

We will see, once your 6DOF up and running. I'm looking forward to that and will accept any feedback from your real-feel :)
  3. prilad

prilad Well-Known Member SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer

Balance:
    9,615Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    Ok, guys.

I think I will make next "compromis" variant: I will appoint the azimuth value to the output "yaw" and slip value to the output "sway".
    So for sim with 360 deg. yaw rotation you can use "yaw/azimuth" value from game. And for 6-dof sim or sim with "traction lost" dof you can try to use "sway/slip" value.

And now I'll search information about "heave" value in IL2 games

Thanks to all :cheers
  4. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,509Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    I would propose to output sway acceleration in the SimTools "Sway" slot and slip in Extra1
    With this we provide all different motion data too but still maintain the integrity of the standard output definition.
    Thanks!
  5. prilad

Balance:
    9,615Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok, no problem. But I don't find SWAY force in the game yet. Now this slot is empty in both IL2 plugins
  6. prilad

Balance:
    9,615Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I posted new plugin version with added sway, heave, surge and slip values
    David, can you to test it on your 6-dof?
  7. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I just downloaded it and am setting up my 6DoF mini platform while I type this ;)

Thanks for the quick work Alexey.
  8. prilad

Balance:
    9,615Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I forgot to say what this is plugin for CloD ;)
  9. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I saw that, lol. :)

So far I am pretty happy, yaw does indeed work now. It seems to be tied to sway (slip) as well but that is good as they are integral to one another anyway. Only issue that I ran into, so far, is that Pitch is backward from the default pitch for everything else but easily remedied in axis settings.

It might also be a good idea to label the plugin zip files with the version number. I am starting to collect several and the only way to tell them apart is by when they were downloaded ;)

I did a side slip landing in a Spitfire and it looked pretty cool watching the platform turn and slide to the left. Course I folded my landing gear because I was watching the platform and not the screen, lol.

I need to test it more to make sure what I am seeing is what the plane is also doing (hard to do both at the same time).

But I think you have cracked it :)
  10. prilad

Balance:
    9,615Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Uph. Thanks, David, for the good news... Yes, I will to mark plugin files in a future...
    Can you create some video with platform movements?
  11. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I will yes, but right now I am having issues :(

I do not think that they are with your plugin though, it seems that regardless of what I do with the pitch axis in Simtools It is always backward. I think it might have something to do with different DoFs having priority over Pitch but I am not sure how to test this.
  12. prilad

Balance:
    9,615Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    What do you mean? Pitch axis is Inverted? It may be my "work"... I make some math operation in plugin with this (and roll) axis like that -

May be I need only send pitch (so and roll) to SimTools without this operation?

By the way - in IL2-FB I also make this...
  13. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Nope, it was me :) It does no good to reverse the pitch axis in the default settings and leave it the same in the IL-2CloD settings, lol. Once I realized that it was an easy fix. Sorry.

Not sure what Extra1 setting is, it seems to mirror Yaw. Sway and Yaw work, if you turn yaw up and sway down you get the correct feel. But with both set to full throw sway overpowers yaw and you do not get the rotation, only angular slide sideways.

Yaw is a bit odd as it is very slow to reverse, if the plane is yawing to the right hard left rudder should flip it over the other direction pretty quick but it seems sluggish. (BUT IT WORKS!!! :) )

At this point I think it is just fiddling with Simtools settings to get the correct "feel".

Well Done Sir!

I will look into IL-2 FB as well.
  14. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,215Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    If yaw is in degrees, then all you should need to do is turn on washout to get slip.(yaw) :cheers
    Just wondering how the output was if you tried it?
    yobuddy
  15. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Not sure what you are asking Yobuddy. Output for Yaw? Prilad's latest plugin version works great.

By the way, what is washout and how can we use it for axis adjustment?
  16. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    exert from coming manual, Selecting a Filter for DOF.png
    Each force can now have its own filter attached per axis.
  17. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks Rob, I have seen that and even played around with the settings before but I do not know what they are supposed to do?
  18. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Smoothing – Will smooth the value, if a value seems jerky or not flowing this can be increased to add a smoothing effect by creating a mean value of the values coming in.

Washout – Is handy when we require a value to wash back to 0. Ie like for a yaw axis that doesn’t actually turn a full 360 degrees. So to give the feeling to the rider that he/she is still actually turning.

Deadzone – Is for setting a deadzone in the middle of the movements ie around 0, so if our Min Max in the tuning centre is set to Max 10 Min 10 and we don’t want to feel 3-0-3 we can set a percent to represent this and take these values away from the equation, resulting in a deadzone.

Boundary – Is used to clip the Max and Min , sometime on a separate axis setup we want a different Min Max but if we change this in the Tuning centre it will affect all axis, so in turn we can set a Boundary (Max Min Limits) to lessen the Min Max for that particular DOF.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. prilad

Balance:
    9,615Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes (setting) and not (mirror). I can (and you can try) to see this difference values in Tuning Centre. ;)

In any case - all parameters plugin extract from game and sends to SimTools "as is", without any preparation...

Regards :cheers