1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

I am looking for some videos with JRK and Kangaroo Sims

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by RaceRay, Jan 24, 2014.

1. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Hey guys,

i must be blind. Is there any finished project here which is based on JRK and Kangaroo interface?
    I want to link on the SimTools splashscreen to a project description which is in working condition.

A video would be helpful;)

@eaorobbie I remember, yours is based on JRK?
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Lol Jrks tend to be a fast build and most forget to post the finished results, lol.
    Value1 is Jrk driven.
    All of Bsft sims are too.

Early tests.

Different game.

Bigger driver near final beta of SimTools.

Camera mounted to top of chair to show the vibrations you can feel but not see in video.

Another on showing lever action, but bad frame rate from Youtube doesnt show the fine stuff.

I need to do some new videos , even a project post for my rig, it was slapped together in a hour and was up and running in about the same time, was only built to test the motion profiles in beta, was not suppose to be a permanent rig, but its doing well months later, I have falling back in love with SeatMovers.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ahh yes, the Sims of some of most active guys here are JRK one´s and i did forget that:)

Thanks buddy:)
  4. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok here Lee Barbers machine another Jrk unit using 3 Jrks for 3DOF.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Amazing guys ... double like with both hands @bsft & @eaorobbie ...:thumbs:thumbs
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a right hand side noisy actuator, so I pulled it apart, cleaned the crap out of the bearing and re-packed it with grease. The bearing will still need replacing eventually, but I got a 50% less noise and it moves a lot smoother.
    , Dirt3, soft profile.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    kitty kitty kitty:) Sounds pretty much better. Can you tell me if the gear wheels and worms are brass or plastic ones?
    I ve seen that motors with different gear units, thats why i asking for.
  9. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Dave custom mounted those motors from motion dynamics (think they were 4500rpm).
    Normally these units have a 240v motor attached.

Yes can confirm his actuator is nice and quite now, we don't have to try and talk over it while racing , lol/
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, 4500 prm motors, not 3600 prm like on big worm gear motors, direct 1:1 drive with gilmer pulley and metal gears , inside actuators still need bearings replaced, but a clean of the extra noisy one and re-grease really helped it move better and a lot quieter.
    Actuators are industrial and a "by chance' given to me. I wouldn't have bought them, they are originally designed to have 240-415 volt motors on them and are rated to 400 kg force. I reckon I get about 50kg force outa 12v motors on them.
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    16 year old cat didnt like his seat moving about as shown in the video
    • Like Like x 1
  12. shanothegreat

shanothegreat Member Gold Contributor

Technician
    Balance:
    496Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT
    I like cats but could never eat a whole one.

What is the current draw like on these actuators at 12 volt compared to the big worm motor wiper style set up?
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    not sure, they are 200 watt motors on them that spin at 4500 rpm, direct belt drive 1:1 with the actuators. It was more guess work than calculation. Id reckon they may draw a bit less, but not much. Still in the 30 amp range.
    Worm gear motors are usually 3500 rpm at 25:1 gearboxes on them. A friend of mine uses them on his seat mover, but he runs motion fairly settled, so his draw under 30 amps each. He reckons its old age. I dunno @Rastus , I think you are plenty young at heart.
  14. shanothegreat

shanothegreat Member Gold Contributor

Technician
    Balance:
    496Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT
    From my experience torque acting on the output arm increases with the length of that arm and hence draws more current.

What is the diameter of the 1:1 gearing compared to your wiper arm? if it is less by a ratio of say half then the torque on that arm would also be reduced by the same amount and hence draw less current for a given output speed.

I think that the reason the motor on your linear actuator is using the same amount of current as the big worm motor is more due to the higher output speed of 4500 rpm. The higher the rpm per volt the lower the internal resistance and the higher the current draw to achieve this.

Have you tried the big worm motor on the same acutator? Was it too slow due to the lower rpm/v?

I was intrigued to see your mechanical linkage for the potentiometer, its a pity we couldn't get cheap hall effect linear position sensors like an a digital vernier, I wonder how that would work with a Jrk, resolution shouldn't be a problem most go down to 3 decimal places.
  15. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No I havent tried the big worm gear motor on its own, they are 3500 rpm and this one is 4500 rpm, so it would be slower. These actuators were given to me by chance. Gilmer gear is 40mm I think.
    It would be nice to have a pot on the very end, but I would need a 100 turn pot, so the linkage thingy I made up does the job.
  16. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have recorded 40-48amp draw on change of direction on the full 2dof frame with 25amp winches, haven't tested the 200W worm gear motors yet but the rule of thumb, from memory allow 2x the rate amps to be the stall current of the motor, this meaning that when the motor stalls and changes direction at high speed it draws about 2x its rated amps and on a mean profile like my seatmover a single 45amp psu could not keep up so a dc 12v 50HAmp battery was plumbed in parallel and not problems since. Except when I forget to charge the battery, Doh!.
    • Funny Funny x 1