1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

HPMhb-150A (high power h-bridge)

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by R-eng, Jun 19, 2009.

1. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Testing update:

While testing, I was running out to the limits of motion on my ICE-sim, relying on the safety limit switches when one of the lateral switches shifted slightly from repeated bumping. The pickup point for the belt went past the lever (actually bending it), and then because the switch snapped back to normally open again, the motor continued to drive onto the pulley gear at the end, jambing itself quite forcefully. I heard the motor emit a high pitched screech, and I immediately cut the power, but that was a couple of seconds already of motor stall. It was totally jambed to one side...HERE WE GO AGAIN!

With direct motor connection to the battery, I retreated the simulator back to the center. I reconnected to the HPMhb-150A and without even looking it over, used manual control of the X-sim to move the simulator again.

The HPMhb-150A protected itself with the current limiter (set to 50A), and nothing was burnt or damaged. Had this been one of my DSMhb (no disparage intended), I would be heading to the online electronics vendor to order more MOSFET and other goodies.

This was a completely unintended extreme test, and it was passed with flying colors. Later, another minor jamb occurred in the opposite direction, only this time the limit switch lever arm bent over drastically. It too was handled by the protection devices. The HPMhb-150A has performed brilliantly...I was quite pleased.

R-eng
  2. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some pretty good developments today.

Worked a set routine by adding 50 lbs. loads to the ICE-sim, and each time started with 50% strength and motion limits, incrementally increasing both until they were 80% and 90% respectively, then another 50 lbs. I ended with 200 lbs. load, and throughout all that, the HPMhb-150A never got over 34'C with an ambient temp of 26-28'C. I cannot say the same for the longitudinal motor. It got very hot to the touch, but I never actually measured it...tomorrow for sure.

I still had the 50amp and 60'C protection settings, and they never shut down due to thermal overload because there was none. They may have hit the current limiting during the highest payload test, at the maximum accel point on the longitudinal axis. But I don't know for sure because I was fully focused on the ICE-sim not hitting the safety limit switches this time...it never did.

The HPMhb-150A were again performing above expectations. I actually thought they would get higher up on temperature, so 6-8 above ambient was pretty impressive. The elaborate heatsinks are paying off, but they sure are a bitch to make and mount. Tomorrow I will add heatfins to the motors and 120mm PC fans tapped off the HPMhb-150A. Then I will proceed with the max target of 250 lbs. payload and bump up the current limit to 75amps, then 100amps (max rated at 150amp). I hope the gods keep smiling on me!

Oh, and I may need to recharge the dual batteries, but they were still running strong at the end.

R-eng
  3. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Update.

After a brief time away from developing, I've been running the ICE-sim with 75A on longitudinal HPMhb-150A/motor, and 50A on lateral. Attached to the motors are these simple but very effective heatsinks...the temperature on the motors dropped dramatically, especially the longitudinal one. Here are a couple of pics.

I have now run with 250 lbs. worth of ballast before plopping my own butt into the sim (still under A.I. mode). Movement was very good and quick, and the HPMhb-150A are still breathing easy and running cool. :clap:

Time to push everything to the limits, I think.

ICE-sim motor-heatsink[S].jpg

ICE-sim motor-heatsink-fan-limiter[S].jpg
  4. regmeister

regmeister New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. dutch_anykey

dutch_anykey New Member

Intelligent networks gsm prepaid services and such
    Balance:
    305Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi R-eng,

Strumbled across this thread. Very nice looking h-bridge. My parts just arrived to build two Tronic's H-bridges and motor controller. But I'm for sure interested in building your H-bridge as well soon. It's not very clear to me what the specs are for Tronics's h-bridge, ofcoarse its depending on cooling and such. But I need it to power wiper motor's on a parade wagon for now...after that projekt I will use them to create my own motion simulator ;-)

keep it up ;-)

Back to etching pcb's this week. I'm back in the hobby haha.

kind regards,
    Maurice
  6. Senetor

Senetor Member

Balance:
    594Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi, R-eng, is there any more progress on this Project, or has it hit the proverbial brick wall ?

Senetor.
  7. R-eng

R-eng Member

Balance:
    28Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There were some issues a couple of months back, and they took awhile to understand and resolve. Instead of jumping for joy and telling everyone, I decided to do extensive testing instead. I am happy to report that all is well and the design is and has been stable and robust. It is currently running my simulator very nicely, including a double motor setup on the pitch axis. I am waiting on finishing backup modules before I push the drives to their limits, although they operate at 75A and occasionally hitting the current limiting on a normal basis.

More info will be coming shortly (weeks not days).

R-eng dual motor pitch.jpg
  8. watkykjy

watkykjy Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi R-eng,

Is there any way that one can make this H-brdige already? I have very large wiper motors, and my entire frame is built from metal, so it's very heavy, and the Dsmhb from Tonic is just not holding up. I keep on frying the mosfets. So far it seems like your h-bridge will do exactly what I need it to, and I am very very excited to try it out. I have enough electronic knowledge to build this baby, so that's not issue either.

If the PCB is available somewhere or if you can PM it, I would be very very greatful indeed!

thanks mate!

Johan
  9. Senetor

Senetor Member

Balance:
    594Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi, R-eng, is there an Update to the HPMhb-150A project ?

Senetor.
  10. Senetor

Senetor Member

Balance:
    594Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is this Project to be considered DEAD !

Senetor
  11. theother5

theother5 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bumping this thread.

Reng, if you are still around, are you prepared/able to share your Schematics, BOM, and Firmware so that others can build your design please?

Cheeky I know 8)

This is a facinating thread and has provided alot of hope for those of us less R&D capable.

Sincerely

Jack
  12. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What type of motor do you use? :eek:
  13. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform

Good job R-eng ....
    keep up the good work ... people are still waiting your fantastic results driving all of us behind your envision .
    Pls. don't let all of us down .
    many many thanks ... and if there are problems just share with us ... we may surprise you or just spark your imagination . :brows: :brows:

abdo_tahan
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    same here, would like to see results. I have been smashing my JRKS hard, like 40 amps peak and 28-34 amps continuous, but I am looking for a stronger alternative board. :cheers:
  15. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Thanos ...Hi R-eng ...

Great respect and big Appreciation for both of you to your efforts making things in it's best way for DIY community ...
    I guess that you came across a huge problem that is preventing/holding you both from finishing/publishing this project ...
    I hope it's only just the free time availability for you ... If so
    Please ...ME here one of the members of this forum needs an update for this project ...

I don't mind if this update comes this week or the next one ...

If there is a problem with the double layer board ... that is not every one can do it ... Don't worry ... we can make two boards back to back and drill holes through them and continue ...
    If there is a problem with components or any thing else ... we ... can ... help solving minor things
    I just need to know what is next ?? Thanos ...R-eng
    I even don't mind if there is a financial problem that is holding this project ... I would be more than pleased to solve it :yes: ...
    You are helping the community above a trillion people on this planet and we x-simmers are your technically followers 100_Schilder__welcome .
    My child is looking to me as if I'm not going to give him what he expected for his final exam reward :graduated: ... this is not good .
    I don't like to be driven into the deep sea and then left alone :shipwrecked: ... and I'm not ... there is a lot of members on this forum including our teachers Thanos & R-eng ... and we can help each other

PLEASE Advice ...
    Keep up the good work .
    abdo_tahan
  16. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @ abdo_tahan

Congratulations, You win the first prize for using most of the Smilies ever in this forum! :tomatos:

BTW, its non of the above reasons! :mug1:
  17. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    still waiting your answer ... please

keep up the good work
    abdo_tahan
  18. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its not my project to decide. I did help in design a tiny bit but that's all.

It's been long time since I pilot that. But very valuable experience!!
  19. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,918Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Good day Thanos and every one ...

give me what you think about this idea of this last post of Thanos project .
    http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=820&p=38567&hilit=#38567
    further update posts will be there ... :blush: ... it's Thanos original design ... and I can't think of what I don't have like [HPMhb-150A (high power h-bridge)] ... :yes: Ideas are referred to there Owners if they share it
    I really respect your attitude ... :brows:

Edit :
    the updated project of such controller is her
    http://www.x-sim.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=246

abdo_tahan
  20. SturmGhost

SturmGhost New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sad that there is no update, no shematics, no layouts to build this thing. :no:

Why this dead project is pinned?