1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

HP Reverb G2 to be sold on Steam

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by noorbeast, Apr 25, 2020.

1. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,608Coins
    Ratings:
    +360 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi
    Yesterday I tried this out. I just put some tape stripes on the two front cameras. Then I restarted the mixed reality app and it works from start. This means your head will be only tracked in rotation - not forward or backwards.
    In the motion sim it works perfect, but made me motion sick after some time.
    Wickie
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. paulopsx2

paulopsx2 Active Member

Balance:
    616Coins
    Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    yeap. BLIND or... just put some thing in front like a tape. this "shutdown" the 2 frontal cams on headset, and gives you better compensation on motion platform.
  3. paulopsx2

paulopsx2 Active Member

Balance:
    616Coins
    Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    agree !
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Blanes

Blanes Member

Balance:
    1,137Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0
    Thanks for explaining.
  5. paulopsx2

paulopsx2 Active Member

Balance:
    616Coins
    Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Not "wow" effect. But its way Better, no SDE.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. paulopsx2

paulopsx2 Active Member

Balance:
    616Coins
    Ratings:
    +163 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    No. Same as G1 demand
  7. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    My understanding is the display resolution is the same on the G1 and G2. But the displays are different (G2 is faster and brighter I believe) and the optics improved over the G1. Computer requirements should be the same I would think unless there is more or less processing required before displaying the images, but I would bet they are the same.

As to SDE, I can just barely barely see the pixels. It’s kind of like looking close at paper and seeing the texture than screen door. Older headsets would show either the dark lines between OLED or LCD pixels, and some were coarse enough you could even the the individual R, G, B, subpixels. On the G2, I can’t see the subpixels at all and the closest I get to seeing screen door is to see just a slight texture to the image.

Overall, it’s just a gorgeous image. There is light bleed you can see in very dark scenes but it’s not too bad. In bright outdoor scenes, it can almost be too bright so pretty good dynamic range.

My complaints are I’ve now got intermittent sound in both headphone speakers. That is fixed with a touch but I need to go ahead and demount and DeOxIt the contacts. That should fix that. But the bigger issue is the face gasket plastic piece is just a bit narrow for my face. It is enough to get distracting after a while and makes my eyes water. That alone makes less comfortable for long sessions and by a couple of hours, it forces a break. But gorgeous during that time. Just uncomfortable.

What we need is an Index with the displays and lenses of the G2. That would be wonderful.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Thanks, Mat! That might be adaptable to what I need. My printer can’t print that big but can always get a print house to do one.
  10. LiquidTec

LiquidTec Software Engineer

Balance:
    10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I'm a novice in VR, my G2 arrived a few weeks ago and currently waiting for RTX 3080 which hopefully arrive next week. I've DOF Reality P3.

So the motion cancelation / compensation in G2 (WMR family) will work only with taping of front cameras? I thought it should be work with OpenVR Motion Compensation which does not need to taping of cameras, or not? I'm asking because one of the reason why I chose G2 was possibility to include my wheel with hands into screen.
  11. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @LiquidTec : what kind of dynamic rig do you have?

a RTX3080, you're good! As I didn't manage to buy one (Founder Edition at the initial price), I resold my reverb G2...
  12. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,608Coins
    Ratings:
    +360 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi!
    Its not necessary to blind the front cameras at the HPG2, but its an easy and fast way to make motion cancellation working! You can also make motion compensation with OVRMC!
    Wickie
  13. Mver

Mver New Member

Balance:
    47Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    I don’t like fixing a controller to my simulator and installing the extra software.

Is there anybody that uses the Reverb G2 on a motion rig frequently without any motion compensation? Or is it that bad? What about using it with the front camera’s blinded, is anybody doing that on a regular base?
  14. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,608Coins
    Ratings:
    +360 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi
    I use the blind HPG2 for some weeks now in my 6DOF and it works perfect. Easy to use -I can recommend it. But dont forget you will only have head tracking in rotation - not forward and back and not left and right. Only rotation.
    I think not everybody will like this, but for flight and race in my opinion ok.
    Wickie
  15. Mver

Mver New Member

Balance:
    47Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    Thanks Wickie! As in rotation you mean you can look around but not change you location inside the car or even move outside. Guess thats primary what you need in simracing.
  16. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,608Coins
    Ratings:
    +360 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Exactly. And with the extreme sharp HPG2 you dont have to move your head towards the instruments to see them sharp :)
    Wickie
  17. Keith

Keith Active Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I dont know what changed but I am suddenly able to play AMS2 with Reprojection on(45fps) and feels very smooth. I will have to try this with other games. Has anyone else noticed this?