1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

HowTo Vista and X-Sim

Discussion in 'XSimulator Q&A/FAQs - Outdated' started by bvillersjr, Dec 6, 2008.

1. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Also, in order to get X-Sim running properly on Vista with UAC ('User Account Control') enabled, I had to right-click on each executable in the X-Sim folder and select 'Run As Administrator' in order to prevent crashes. The annoying side effect is that I get prompted that an untrusted application wants to run, and I have to click 'Allow' each time as start any of the X-Sim executables.

If you want to avoid this, you can follow Mixcrosoft's tutorial on disabling UAC. UAC is a nuisance, but it does help to keep your PC more secure. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691.aspx

@SirNoName - Vista UAC warnings can be avoided if the developer has a certificate and compiles the application as trusted. I will gladly purchase you a low-cost certificate if you are willing to take the steps required to make X-Sim a trusted application by Vista, which requires a signed certificate. This would eliminate the constant UAC nagging, and allow X-Sim users to keep their PC's as secure as possible.
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I'm not sure what version of C++ you are using. I am only familiar with Microsoft programming languages and within the context of Visual Studio. In Microsoft programming languages in one of the properties tabs of the solution (dont remember which one off the top of my head), there is a section about 'Trust' and 'Code Signing'.

In Vista, code that is signed with a valid code signing certificate can avoid the nag. This is why applications like Microsoft Office or Photoshop, etc.. never present a nag screen. They have obtained a 'code signing certificate' that verifies who they are, much like SSL for a website. This certificate allows them to Sign their application. This signing tells Vista not to present a nag screen since the application is considered Trusted because of the validated signing.

My post was simply an offer to purchase this certificate if you were willing to digitally sign the application, which would get rid of the nag screen.
  3. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Yes, each executable would need to be signed. I believe that only one code signing certificate would be required. Unfortunately, I have little knowledge of C++. I have the 2008 version, but only because it came with my MSDN license. I have never used it. I work with someone this coming Tuesday who may know how to accomplish this in VS2005 MFC. I'll post back if I can get some more detail or an article on this subject for your version.

:cheers:
  4. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
  5. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I'll look into this more closely. I know that there are lower cost certificate alternatives. At one point I think saw them for around $99. I guess I better do a little more research into whether or not some special type of certificate is required for our scenario.
  6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    In the end those certificates dont make anything saver. It's just another method to milk the cow :brows:
  7. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Comodo's Prices on Code Signing Certificates have gone from $79.99 to $179.99 since last time I looked. I was able to find some reseller sites still offering the $79.99, but when the item goes into the affiliate cart at Comodo, its now $179.99!

I would have paid $79 to get rid of the nag screen, but I'm going to go with egoexpress on this one. While UAC does add a small layer of additional security, like any security mechanism it can be circumvented anyway. I think I'll be disabling UAC to get rid of the nag screens and post a video on how to do it sometime this week.