1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

How to simulate kerbs?

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Thread, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Great combination, AC+simtools, maybe it would be possible to get the speed value out of the program with a modified plugin, and drive a big 220V fan. Another way of improving would be some simvibe like solutions.
    But i said nothing new i guess.
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wiper motors, thats it!
    Thats why Nick, Pit and I get better response, we are using faster DC motors giving us finer details
  3. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,462Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,318 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    AC Speed.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    btw @Pit or @bsft, where do we find this video you speak of?
  5. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    wiper motors have a plastic gear, thus prone to wear, but i have no problem with its speed, [anyways it is driven at 24V instead of 12V] With lower speed only, there would be stable ripple but weaker.
    More problems with the slack i guess, but it is not that bad yet. [and the pot is rock steady on the shaft]
    Pure theory, but may be right:
    there is a big SPEED of a big DC motor, but it is big only in continous mode, after a direction change there has to be some millisecs, when it is accelerated again.
    So there is another definition of FAST, and in that regard maybe SCNs are shining. Maybe with a bigger power/rotating mass ratio.
    So if there is a demonstration video of a sim seat getting constant stable vibration on a kerb i guess it would be with an SCN.
    But if you can make it with wormgear DC motor i would be pleased to see that.

i have to add that i tried to go over a sawtooth kerb in walking pace, and there would be no problem of speed, and even then it was not stable, [i tried it in spa in AC] as if the road itself sorrounding the kerb were shaking randomly.
    But i am very happy with the way it is working, just looking for making it better.
  6. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Thanks for that, is there a way i can make an analog linear voltage from dashApp data's speed value?
  7. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    If I understand you correctly, and you are using your wipers slower speed, then one way you may be able to make your rig better would be to use the fast speed of your wiper motor. Some wipers use an off phase brush for slow meaning the motor will not generate peak power because it runs with less efficiency, and thus slower. And if it is a 12vdc motor then start using 12v instead of 24v. Using a higher voltage than the motor was designed for risks damage to the motor over time which could also make it slowly lose power.
  8. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    i use the slower speed on them because under load that is the faster one, faster than the fast speed [which is weaker and/or takes higher amperage] the cheap H-bridges are lukewarm. [you can experience the same effect on a windshield, the faster speed is only faster if there is no resistance to the movement of the wiper blades]
    working on 24V with the stronger connection it is capable of VERY unpleasant speeds, but i set it to 80% overall under simtools and 60% at the DOF settings. Higher than that, and it would be unpleasant. I tried to use seatbelts, but quit.
    PID setting in SMC3 is 400.
    Above that there is no smooth movement. [no rubber dampenings]
    it will wear off eventually i know, i will see what to do then.
  9. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    brand new video :) (perhaps not yet available while posting...)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I completely agree, my seat winches are running with PWMmax 175 now and KP 490. But the traction loss winches need a fast move but less kp, so there the PWMmax is 225 and the kp around 80 -100...
  11. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Maybe i will try to lower PWMmax or change to 12V to spare the plastic gear, but if we would need ripple simulation, we need the maximum power.
    Thanks for the video of your very sophisticated rig, just the same as here, no sync between simulated cockpit and seat at roadbumps, and no ripple shake [though you might have avoided them on purpose i don't know]
    This spa is under AC?
    there is a long ripple strip at the left, after the first corner.
  12. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    no sync? Perhaps hardly to see but the rig is synchronized with the car.
    No ripple shake? I see, I must upload you a special video from the kerbs at the left...Did you see the video to the end? At the end 2:55 I am driving OVER the kurbs, what does the rig do?

@Thread: check this out: http://www.bsimracing.com/assetto-corsa-app-real-head-motion-v0-8-0/
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  13. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    The most obvious non sync part [just as with me] is the long straight after eau rouge. [I talk about only road bumps]
    0.37-0.50. Here the seat sees the bumps, the screen does not [or does at about 10%].

The sawtooth kerbs... I am afraid we need a video where you are on the long one, after first corner, a realistic effect is a very violent shaking on the kerbs, and nothing if driving beside it.

Thank you for the nice vid.
  14. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    What is your opinion on settings, at DOF settings [I have 4 DOFs set to 2 axes] each of them is set to 60%. is it too much? Can it cause saturation?
    I will set it lower.
    The other thing is USB interface output packet rate, I have set it to 1ms instead of 20, lower is the better, but a too frequent packet rate may slow down communication if there is much data? [more things happen the same time]
  15. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    You have written "no sync", no sync would be wrong, but in deed there is sometimes a lack of motion.
    I will come back to this issue later, I have an idea how to simulate the max in screen and rig for better comparison.
  16. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    As said before, please please make screenshots ofy our settings in SMC3, Simtools (and Tuning center!) and post a photo of your motor including the specs and the lever.
  17. Pit

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    @Thread perhaps because I use real head motion the sync is not expected as it should. Now I started AC w/o this app and used these settings:
    ac.jpg

This video has been made only for you :) Do not expect the seat is shaking same as the car in AC because this would be unnatural. Simulation means immersion, the "feeling" must be real to show probable cause the reality in the virtual environment. Nevertheless the car is never "raising" in an other or different directions as the rig will do.

In spite of this experience sometimes the car does not move or the seat moves, the car doesn't. This seems to be very rarely and should be the exception.

18. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hi,
    thanks for the video, dedicated to me :)
    I will make now screenshot and photos, though for photos I have to use the other PC,
    so my rig does the same as yours, even rattles like that. :)
    This video shows the best, the max. we can bring out of ripple kerbs, a not stable shaking, but shaking all right, as if some stones are simulated some were not,
    I have now the best experience in my life with simulation, but thought that there are some easy ways to make it better, that may be not the case.
    Even SCN users use simvibe to simulate kerbs, at speeds we surely don't get that prrrrrrrrrrrr like stable vibration that is in a real track, i have to say a vibra motor would do that better,
    BUT I LIKE IT VERY MUCH EVEN THIS WAY :))
    Now the remaining problem as i wrote, if the road bumps were always in sync, the screen and my butt, were fantastic.
    And if i figured it out, how to make an analogue voltage from speed.
  19. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
  20. Thread

Thread Member

Balance:
    295Coins