1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

How to protect controllers and usb ports

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by mariano68, Oct 19, 2016.

1. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    I didn't find any guide about protecting controllers, arduino, PSUs and USB ports, it would be great if some of the electrically competent fellow members make some kind of tutorial or guide :) as basic as it can be for us Australopithecus and Pithecanthropus members :p
    I'd blow my onboard sound card and 2 USB 3.0 ports when I crossed cables in my last build, also I will be building my next sim with big 750watts winches and I want to know how to protect psus against back current.

Thanks anyway!
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Good point!

- Opto-coupling is the way (but I'm not familiar with it)

- Another way is to use a USB hub, mind to use a powered Hub: non powered hub are often a problem in our simulator setups.

- What I did, I bought a PCI USB card to protect my computer hoping it'll blow before the motherboard. This stage is a kind of fuse between mother board and simulator.

41SCJWhemGL.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  3. Archie

Archie Eternal tinkerer

Balance:
    3,796Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,379 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Could you put an inline quick-blow 1AMP fuse on the +/ve of the USB cord? As you are not using them for charging (2.1A), the fuse would blow as soon as it's more than 1AMP? I'm no electrical engineer, but that's my <2cents> :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mariano68

mariano68 Active Member

builder contractor
    Balance:
    3,338Coins
    Ratings:
    +395 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, 4DOF
    I think I'm asking things that will help a lot of people here, and there isn't any tutorial about, so, some new guys avid for points... can add some help...