1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

how secure 12 v motor / hardware

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by dahfl, May 12, 2014.

1. dahfl

dahfl New Member

Administrator
    Balance:
    485Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Hi,
    whats the best choice to secure my Hardware ?

PowerSuply 12v, 47a,
    Arduino Uno
    MotoMonster Shield

1 ) 1 fuse between motorcard and motor (in +)
    2 ) 2 fuse between motorcard and motor (in + and -)

I have this Motors.
    The voltage-range of motors is 5-24v up to 16nm by 16a (Datasheet).

I would like to use these fuse (15 A Carfuse)

regards Andreas
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what frame design did you have in mind?
  3. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Best to use a opto isolators between the Ard and Monstor Moto, this will stop any current coming back to the Ard if the driver fails in a stupid way, which is a very small chance but could happen.

But for basic connection a fuse in the positive line to the monster moto but it has overvoltage protection built in to plus overheat protection too, in these cases the driver just shuts down and will reset once the situation clears itself.
    To protect the motor I would do option 2 as when the motor reverse current will now flow through the negative wire to motor, hence most drivers will call these outputs A and B as they both can be a positive and negative value.

BTW the Monster Moto can output upto 30amp peaks, so 15amp will pop regularly.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. dahfl

dahfl New Member

Administrator
    Balance:
    485Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    to much ??
    MotoMonster Fuse.jpg
  5. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Ah if you plan to run 24v theses drivers wont do it.
    Intial fuse not bad , 30amps is the peak current the chip will deliver but may draw more than that to achieve 30amp output.
    So thus meaning your 15amp on the motors will blow often.
    If you holders for the blade fuses so that you may change them out easily later.
    As we use the same chips on the Jrks and have recorded 40 odd amps on the output, but that was in extreme movements (as in not really useable on a sim)