1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

How many degree move your seat

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Nima, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Nima

Nima Member Gold Contributor

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hello
    we have many difference in the design's.i want ask how many degree can you move your seat
    my old design cann goo with 100mm scn5 15 degree vor and behind. vor 7 degree behind 8 degree.
    left right i have 30 degree 15 left 15 right.
    bernard can you test your design with 150mm way and 100mm way please?
    can test a frex user to ?
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Hi Nima,

How are you measuring this? It would be good for comparison if we all measure in the same way.
  3. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi
    i have use the degree programm on the iphone.the red points are the iphone.
    the degree left right by me old sim is on this place 30 degree 15 left 15 right.

Attached Files:

4. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    I don't have an iPhone for comparison, but comparing seat movement can be done by fully retracting your seat and measuring the front and back of the seat to the same fixed point. This may be an easier way to make comparisons that everyone has the tools to measure.

I'm currently testing my Universal Motion Kit. Presently, it is simply attached to a piece of plywood. I fully retracted the actuators and measured the front and rear of the seat. Currently, the actuator angles are configured for a 260lb user. It is possible to achieve more movement than this for lighter weight users by changing the rear dampening bar location or width.

260lbConfigFrontRetracted.jpg

260lbConfigRearRetracted.jpg

SuccessvsFailure.jpg

Hope this helps.

:cheers:
  5. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi
    can you use this one?

Attached Files:

6. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    I have a iphone Nima.... how is the app called? maybe i will give it a go :)
  7. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi rob
    the abb has the name Clinometer
  8. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

Hi Nima,

I dont have the option to click on this image and zoom. It's just an unreadable 132 pixel x 75 pixel thumbnail.
  9. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi bernard,
    you never sleeping?
    can you make a picture 50 inch behind the sim and 10inch over the ground.
    the acculatoren one on 0mm one on 150mm
  10. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    LOL..

I don't get much sleep these days. Too much work to be done.

I need to un-bolt a few things from the test sim before I can take a show this picture. I will probably have time to do this tomorrow or Monday.
  11. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok
    i measure the angle from your picture is ca 16-17degree but is not the best way for measure.
  12. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi Niels,

I just measured mine using the clinometer in my iPhone and I have 7deg front, 7 deg back, 14 deg left and 14 deg right.

...Mike
  13. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi mike,
    this is with your 150mm a littel lower way as my design with 100mm.
  14. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Hi Nima,

The interesting thing here is the quality of the motion, not the quantity of the motion.

15 degrees of movement via 100mm of travel

-OR-

15 degrees of movement with 150mm of travel

IMHO, the 150mm scenarion motion is much smoother and reproduces the little details better. Why? I cannot say for certain, but I suspect that it is related to the finer granularity possible in the 150mm scenario that causes movements of the same distance to be more precise and granular. Do you have any theories on this?
  15. aikuo60

aikuo60 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tell me if i'm right, in these cases (100mm and 150mm) the 150mm actuators will be a little bit slower than the 100mm due to the distance?
  16. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

It depends entirely on the actuator angles and occupant weight. Most DIY sims that I have seen are probably not capable of reaching 250mm /sec. It is extremely difficult to measure this without proper testing tools.

There is some argument that the additional 50mm of actuator rod mass could cause the 150mm to be slower. This is an extremely small differrence, somewhat akin to splitting hairs. I am not able to feel or see the difference. This could only be measured by extremely accurate testing tools.

As a point of reference however, I (and many others based on the profiles posted here) usually detune my profiles to 90% speed even when not using the 100% limiter with 150mm actuators. The 150mm actuator is faster than needed already.

It is because of this that I usually respond to SCN6 inquiries with a yes, it's fast enough. Very few people are even getting 300mm/sec out of their SCN5's based on their angles and subsequent load. The SCN6 is capable of 300mm / sec. but at higher loads.

Getting back to the subject at hand, the SCN5 100mm has no advantage over the 150mm from a speed perspective when used in a motion simulator. The 150mm, does seem to have some kind of a quality of motion benefit, although I struggle to be able to quantify it and therefore my question to Nima asking if he may have any theories as to why this is.

EDIT:I have yet another theory as to why this may be. If the SCN5 100mm and the SCN5 150mm calculate via the same PID code, then it would be logical that the SCN5 150mm would spend more time not on a braking or acceleration ramp, but in the middle of the movement at maximum calculated speed. Maybe this is the reason for the improved feel. Anyone else have a theory?
  17. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi
    first:i mean the 150mm is the better way.my sim a work perfect with the rubberbands without the rubberbands hi dont work.if i use acculation of 1000
    is the same effect were are have leedfood with 400.all this break the scn5.
    but i must goo only 100mm way is ca. the same score.
  18. Nima

Glaser
    Balance:
    529Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi
    bernard
    do you have a drawing from the speed trust curve from the scn?
    aikuo60:the scn5 make many brake under weight.if use the same way,you mast carry 50% more weight.if you mast carry 1kg you have 400mm/s speed.with 5kg you only have 100mm/s.with low weight the 100mm are faster with more weight the 150mm are faster
  19. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    SCN5specs.jpg
  20. aikuo60

aikuo60 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know that we are out of the post, but this is the properties of the SCN6 actuators

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think a internal software exist in order to mesure the real speed of the SCNX, it will be interresting to know this, with this we could compare the better solution for a good design without our human sensibility? What do you think about this?
    Bertrand, could you ask to Mirai if this soft exist?