1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question How is BLDC torque controlled with an ESC?

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by TheSnowGuy, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy New Member

Balance:
    79Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone, I'm going to be making my own FFB wheel and I'm confused about how the existing wheels in the market control torque. I know that BLDCs use ESCs for speed control based on PWM input, but the issue I see is that even if you apply 5% of max speed, if you're holding the wheel still, torque will ramp until the wheel achieves 5% speed due to the ESCs feedback loop. Since real cars will have variable torque on the wheel and it seems all commercial FFB wheels achieve this effect, how exactly do they use an ESC to control the torque? With a brushed DC motor it seems as though you can limit torque since you're limiting the average voltage (and subsequently current) with PWM, but with a BLDC motor and an ESC I'm under the impression that the ESC will feed as much current to the motor as possible to reach a speed corresponding to your PWM input.

I'm more of a firmware person so my knowledge in analog isn't that great but I do know a bit about the hardware side of things so don't hold back!
  2. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy New Member

Balance:
    79Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Okay so I've learned that you don't really control torque with an ESC. From reading other threads, it appears the dynamic nature of ffb means that you can get a good approximation with PWM even though it ramps to max torque, and that you need to use a servo driver in torque mode to truly control torque (but those are expensive...)

I have a follow up question though. I'm seeing that at stall the current is incredibly high and will burn the motors, which makes sense. What doesn't make sense to me is how with a FFB wheel, the motor is almost constantly at stall yet it doesn't burn out. Does this have something to do with the driver? Is it the pwm that keeps the motor from burning?
  3. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    a brushless motor is normally a 3 phase motor with coils that are activated in sequence as the motor spins

the esc knows the position of the coils and energises them accordingly

they work pretty good - but a brushed motor can deliver more torque at low rpm

brushless motors have lots of advantages but brushed motors have much higher starting torques which makes them useful in simulation where you are constantly moving back and forards from stall

https://www.parvalux.com/what-is-the-difference-between-brushed-and-brushless-dc-motors/
  4. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Brushless servos with drives that can handle back-emf, are expensive... the ESC works because the motor does NOT change direction constantly, only one direction mostly with constant speed (e-bikes, rc vehicles, drones etc).

Certainly can't do that:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy New Member

Balance:
    79Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you both for your insights.

So this would make the two realistic options between motors for a FFB wheel brushed DC motors and Servos? If I'm reading what you both said correctly, BLDCs will only really be useful in a FFB sim-racing wheel when used with a servo driver and since those are expensive, to make a cost-effective FFB wheel a brushed DC motor is the best choice?

Also I'm curious how these motors aren't burning out at stall as I've been led to believe would happen with any DC motor.
  6. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy New Member

Balance:
    79Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Update: I figured it out. I had no idea most motor controllers have a current sensor voltage I could read from. That alone basically answers all my questions. I'm excited to make this happen. Gonna test everything out with a small DC motor to make sure I've got everything working and I'll make an update post somewhere with my progress. Might even try to make the worlds smallest FFB wheel...
  7. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Already made one years before. 24v tiny motor, running at 18v via 2A step-up power circuit from 3.7v battery. Motor stall current is 0.7A and the hbridge used is 1A max before the cutoff.

See how small is this motor:

You may want to read more on about the specs here:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3012316
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  8. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
  9. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The VESC is using sensors for sensing the angle position of the motor shaft (vectors) and save the motor coils or driver mosfets from burning while its holding position.

ESC is sensorless
  10. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    thank you! point out:)
  11. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy New Member

Balance:
    79Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I appreciate pointing those out. Although, I'm going to be programming all control myself so I'm going to use as little existing stuff (outside of motor drivers with current sensing) as possible. I've settled in my project on using a brushed DC motor for now with a motor drive that provides current sense. Just finished programming the USB side of things for the pedals, shifter, and handbrake.
  12. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy New Member

Balance:
    79Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That's pretty sweet! I got these tiny 12v dc motors right now that I'm gonna prototype with. Might compete for the title of smallest sim rig ;)
  13. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Brushed DC Motor Driver with Current Sensing
    This is a great idea! Hope he is easy to build
    :thumbs
    • Like Like x 1