1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Hey all - more n00b questions.. sry !

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by ringo, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ringo

ringo New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey all *waves*

yet another n00b has joined the ranks and needs some help!

I am looking to get a motion sim but need some really basic help. I have been looking at the commercial ones that are around (e.g. Vision Racer or Joyride) however i'm not entirely sure of the hardware.

I should point out that I have no connection with ANY Motion Sim company before anyone asks!

The VR3 are currently working on a D-Box unit to integrate - can someone please explain the differences between x-sim and d-box (n00b huh!)

In most of the specs etc they are talking about 2DOF / 3DOF etc - can you please explain exactly what they mean by this?

Am I to assume that the heavier the rig is the harder the actuators etc. have to work to move it around, and as such you either have slower response times or you have increased wear and tear?

I am ideally designing the unit for use with GT5 (but I know Sony are being individual with the release of the code - has anyone here found work around to get a motion sim going with PS3 games?).

I am going to get rFactor, but need to spec a machine up to be able to make it run properly...

I have limited skills in putting things together but if there is an out of the box solution then that is also an option.

thanks so much !!

ringo
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    First of all you need to narrow things down. Determine your budget, how much you want to build yourself, and what parts you want to build (if any).

X-Sim is a freeware software that is universal and very open, d-box is a commercial product including software, electronics and actuators specifically designed to work together.

There are 6 degrees of freedom (DOF), in other words 6 axis in which a 3D object can move. 3 for the linear movements, 3 for rotation. More degrees of freedom mean the platform can produce movement in more directions.

Yes, it is common sense that you need more power to move a heavier object.

Unfortunately no simulator solution is possible for the PS3 at the moment. Until someone cracks it or Sony releases a solution, no internal data can be exported to X-Sim.

If you are looking for an out of the box or a simple to build sim at an affordable price and great support, check out Stage I: http://www.simxperience.com