1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Head centric sway and surge g-force system for use with VR headsets and your current motion setup

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by BlazinH, Mar 11, 2021.

?

Do you desire a head centric sway and surge G-force system capable of sustained 2.5g and VR use?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Not Sure

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Advantages of applying g-forces directly to the head are:
    1. The most sensitive sensory organs for motion perception are located in the head (visual, vestibular)
    2. The head is connected to the neck thereby providing correct proprioceptive feedback (muscle and joint awareness) on the neck and back
    3. No false vectoring – doesn’t need to move your body opposite of reality to create pressure points where they should be felt on the body
    4. Provides g-seat and g-belt effects – proper vectoring means that your chest is pressed into a seat belt when braking, into the back of the seat when accelerating, and into the appropriate side of a racing seat when turning
    5. Ability to provide sustained g-forces (2.5g based on average head weight of 10 to 11 pounds or 4.5 to 5 kg)

To have a perfect motion racing setup the only other thing needed in my opinion besides a great head g system is the ability to add vertical heave and also if you so desire pitch, roll, and/or traction loss.
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I voted "not sure" as I'm convinced in theory but I would need to test the feeling.
    After having tested many different simulator designs commercial and DIY, I know that personnal preferences are important.

>the only other thing needed in my opinion besides a great head g system
    and direct drive wheel, good bass sound system, large FOV, tactile transducers, belt tensionner, streamdeck and button box or wind system?
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    All I know after chasing down this rabbit hole for many years is that the more refined the hardware becomes the more refined the software and in effect the game telemetry data needs to be.
  4. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Since a good head g system is still unavailable except for possibility on a few very expensive simulators I suspect many are “not sure”. It’s a matter of how do you convince someone they need it before they know they do.

I was referring to actuated motion systems only. Of course additional other things could be added to increase immersion further.

Thanks.
  5. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    It’s not an easy thing to get right for sure. However rabbit burrows generally have many tunnels and holes and sometimes with perseverance you find your way thru. The main challenge I have remaining is making my system compatible with different VR headset types. If I don’t perceive much interest though then I may not continue.

Depending on how sophisticated your pallet is, if you’re not happy with the quality of the available telemetry and the software outputting it then you’re probably just not going to be happy. However I have an additional software layer I’m developing to make head system specific adjustments, tweaks, etc.

Thanks.
  6. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Btw, my head system applies torque only with auto return of your head to neutral so tuning it to feel proper doesn't seem difficult; at least for my pallet to be satisfied.
  7. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +235 / 1 / -0
    I could be wrong but I think you're asking the wrong group of people. This forum is mainly full of people who build their own gear. Most here just want to see you post what you've got so they can make a dirt cheap version of it with silly parts like hobby servos (you've been here for years so I think you already know this).

I want to see you bring this to life because if this kind of gear was more commonplace than the whole community would advance. Think about who your customer is and go market to them in the way they want to be marketed to. Your customers are on the facebook sim racing groups, reddit, and youtube. Make some flashy videos that get people to actually want to buy what you have to sell.
    • Agree Agree x 3