1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

hall sensors instead of pots !!!

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by pim, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The back of the mosfets (cooling fins with the screw hole) are electrically connected to their drain. You have to be very careful how you connect them not to short anything out. Don't connect them to any ground!
  2. pim

pim New Member

system engineer
    Balance:
    380Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5, SimforceGT
    hey frakk,

i can't follow you completely, ok the back of the mosfet (alu/metal) piece you can't connect to ground i now but, ru.null is talking about wire from the back of mosfet to motor somewhere i don't know.

Or are you talking about this in particular ? or you mean just don't connect back mosfet to ground
    ?
  3. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The motor connectors are not connected to ground,they are connect to the drains of both upper and lower mosfets on each side. Therefore you can also connect the motors directly to the cooling tabs because it is the same electrical point. Just be very careful not to short anything unless you like the smell of burning epoxy and melting wires on the board.
  4. pim

pim New Member

system engineer
    Balance:
    380Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5, SimforceGT
    ok i follow you i think, (never learned for electronics just a bit of a hobby). But if i'm correct i connect one wire to housing of motor in other words the minus or the rotor wire.
    Can you put it in scema for me because i don't want burning at all.

my motor frames are not isolated
  5. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how you have the motor wired up.

Basically: connect one motor wire to the tab of one IRLZ44N, connect the other motor wire to the other IRLZ44N tab. If you want it to revers just switch them up.
  6. pim

pim New Member

system engineer
    Balance:
    380Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5, SimforceGT
  7. pim

pim New Member

system engineer
    Balance:
    380Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5, SimforceGT
    this is how it is connected
  8. ru.null

ru.null Member

Petrol stations tech support
    Balance:
    290Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Pim!

I connect motors directly to cooler mosfets. Blue and yellow wires on the fotos. How Adam said, this is the same as the drain.

h1.jpg
    h2.jpg

I did not know why you got a problem with connecting ground. This is my second Hbridge with this modification and have no problems. Also I am a little rebuilded PCB and etched this ways.

[​IMG]
  9. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    pim, be very careful mounting the motors. Do not forget, when the motor is spinning in one direction, your case will be ground, but when it is spinning in the other rotation, the case will be 12V PWM. If you have the motor connected to the frame or any other parts without electrical isolation, you run the risk of shorting it to other parts.
  10. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    hi guys i would like to understand more the mechanical setup of the hall effect sensors . i know pctures have been posted but i am still missing something about the type and shape of magnets which give the best results, i have some old hardsicks which i can pull apart to get the magent , is there a better source or site where i can order the correct magnets for this setup .. sorry if it has been explained before but would appreciate any help in the form of a sketch showing the location of the hall effect sensor and shaped magnet :) Please
  11. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    hi guys back again --- found some info in another post so will try to get some bits form my experiment thanks would still like some sort of sketch if possiible ,as i understand mechanics better than electronics and so useually try to think of the mechanical equivelelnt to better understand where possible electronics :) Cheers guys
  12. douwe

douwe New Member

Retired
    Balance:
    731Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
  13. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    969Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Douwe many thanks for the tip i have just read the info and it is exactly waht i was hoping to get in the way of information, like i said i tend to where possible try to understand electronics by thinking about the mechanical equivelent works sometimes other time :-( but this article is a great link am about to destroy and old unused Harddrive to get the magnet but looking at the way that article explains the method of operation i may just try an experiment with one of my standard magnets . hows your project going .i have not been to your site in a while , will have to check out your latest development if any available :) Thanks again Douwe
  14. douwe

douwe New Member

Retired
    Balance:
    731Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Due to post processing moving house, vacation and real glider flying,
    the progress is very slow on the moment.
    Douwe