1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Gravitom G6 - New generation of driving simulators

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by prodigy, Nov 21, 2013.

1. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/g6-driving-simulator

I don't know what to think about this, but I'm not really convinced that moving just the head will provide great driving experience..
  2. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,159 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hmmm....I am going to guess they are not going to include HEAVE huh? :D
    • Like Like x 3
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    agreed @prodigy, your head transfers info it gets from the whole body, not just the head.
    I would have an awful neck ache using that thing.
  4. prilad

prilad Well-Known Member SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer

Balance:
    9,615Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    Yes. It's just a good exercise for the neck muscles, which can be trained in a fun way.:)
    And I want to look this method for a 360 degrees simulator. :grin
    • Like Like x 3
  5. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Yea not for me , I ll keep what I have, 0.11sec to go from max to min movement is quick enough for a diy sim even beats a lot of commercial units.
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this sort of sim overrides standard body movements. The head is there to help maintain balance while the body is being tossed around. Having your head shoved around while your body would surely confuse that system.
    Sure drivers have tested it and say it is realistic, but have they tried other sims. Its like the comment that shumacher got sick on a motion sim, so would I if the motion wasnt right.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
  7. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    The idea is not stupid. For most people the shaking head movements will be enough. Big advantage i see for such a system is the less need for room space and less costs as there is no need for powerful actuators, power supply, hardware etc., As a consequence the guys will reach a larger market than offering a regular motion simulator. I will watch that project, curious how much attraction and money they get.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Btw. for such kickstarter like projects i fear that the developer could loose the motivation to produce the product, even when they reached the complete or only a piece of the goal amount.

For the kickstarter projects I miss something like a guarantee that my money is invested seriously when i should make a pledge.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,650Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,009 / 9 / -1
    I was briefly involved in a similar discussion some time ago on the xsim site. I like the idea of people experimenting especially if they share their findings. As @bsft says until someone has the opportunity to try both it is difficult to assess - perhaps combined it would be even better.

My comments some time ago were I expect it would need to be some sort of "force feedback" arrangement as I suspect you would need to still be able to move your head against the force for it to be natural feeling? He doesn't go into that much detail in the video unless I missed something.

Lots of things to consider such as how easy it is to get on and off, how safe it is for the neck... lets hope we can see more as it progresses.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Why I have never supported a kickstarter project, plus Kickstarter take a wooping 15% of total funds as an admin cost. Sneaky buggers.
  11. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I invested in the Oculus Rift at the beginning of the development. Was very lucrative as i sold the glasses after testing it lol. But that was not my intention. The project and the profession the people behind the OC convinced me to participate in the project
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think we are getting off tangent here, the discussion is about the g6, not kickstarter.
  13. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    That was also one of my first thoughts, what if I want to move my head in direction I want.. People who have triplescreens and want to check their side mirror needs to turn head left or right. I guess this kind of simulator can't work combined with standard motion sims, on standard sim you move your head freely and naturally as you're being leaned, so you don't need another simulator just for the head :)

As I said before, it's good idea to try it, but I'm not convinced by it as you feel the most forces coming through whole body. It probably is cheaper solution, requires less room and power, but on the other side, you're forced to wear something on the head, a helmet or some kind of belt which can't be very comfortable. How many people here wears helmet while driving in simulator, maybe 1 out of 10, 20..
    • Like Like x 1
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont wear a helmet when gaming, I might for a video of sim action, but thats all.
  15. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,575Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I have to ask this question. Why is the dude driving in the video sweating profusely when it’s only his head that is being shook around? The only answer that sounds logical to me is he has cold sweat do to acute motion sickness and it has nothing to do with anything else!

Edit: Or it could be from the helmet insulating the head I suppose but in either case it doesn't seem like it would be an enjoyable experience. While perspiring a lot when racing a car is realistic, I for one don't what that experience every time I use my simulator.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  16. RaceRay

Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I did the same experience, using a helmet for fun for a online race and after a few minutes i really start to sweat under my helmet, stress on the track, but more the heat under the helmet let me transpired much:)

So i agree using a real security helmet is not a nice experience in closed temperatured rooms, sounds half-baked. As a idea, the devlopers could use a half-shell for the head,, like a bike helmet, that would fix the transpiration problem
    • Like Like x 1
  17. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    That is actually a good idea, from my racing experience here in the West with average temps of 32-38c resulting in 40-50c in the car a helmet with force feeded air was a must or it was a very uncomfortable drive.
    On subject a push bike helmet would be a lot lighter, comfortable and cooler. +1.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i can see a chiropractor bill....
    • Like Like x 2
  19. RaceRay