1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

News GoRacing project Sim Pololu Jrk 12v12 + Simtools

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by GoRacing, Jun 16, 2014.

1. GoRacing

GoRacing Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hello everyone,As the title suggests I want to create a simulator with type 2 motors to Racingmat or kevin from which I took cue.Non are very practical electronics or programming interfaces so as I chose the jrk 12v12.I wanted to all those who give me a mano.Ho need to make a shopping list of the various purchase componenti.Per now I only found the jrk for the rest I rely on your experience advise me.

These are the cards jrk are the right ones?
    http://www.pololu.com/product/1393

What power do I need?

From what I've read of the potentiometers that break often ... what do you recommend?

What engines? wiper or another?

Do I need additional hardware?

If you can please pass me the link where to buy

thank you in advance.Ernesto
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, they are the correct motor driver cards, need one for each motor. The Pololu JRK
    With motors, wipers will do , preferably from a larger passenger car, use 12v with 12v, DO NOT USE 24v on 12v. Half the speed, power,torque.
    With wipers you must earth isolate the casing by tracing the wires inside, opening it up, etc. Annoying , but if you find a $10 or so wiper, it will do.
    Preferred choice for motors is these http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-drive-motor-12v-24v-200w-180-rpm-20nm-torque.html or ebay equivalent, I will look for link later. Already earth isolated, 3 times shaft speed, stronger.
    Pots , again, once I am near my other PC, I will post up pics. Its not so much the breaking, but the way the get treated.
    Give us a few hours.

Edit, heres the link I was looking for http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GEAR-MOTOR-1...ILLCRAB-POT-PULLFEED-150160-rpm-/370915744975
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Right, back again.
    JRKS have a feedback deadzone area so if the pot goes out of range, the motor stops. This does not stop accidents or actual pot breakages though
    With pots, either $3 elcheapo 270 deg single turn, $27 hall effects, $36 360 deg single turn or $140 hall effects can break, depending on use and set up.
    $3 pots are a good setup and can get you going.
    Popular choice for mounting pots is the shaft directly into the back of the centre of the motor shaft lever bolt.
    2014-03-28 10.35.20.jpg
    Drill a hole to suit the shaft of the pot size , then once the shaft is in, drill a 2-2.5mm hole through it all and run a length of wire to hold it on.
    To hold the pot to the motor housing, use a flexible bracket and glue it to the top is the quickest way. Others make up brackets to hold it and I hope they will comment as well.
    The advantage of using good quality wire wound 360 deg single turns is that they can spin freely around and around and never break.
    You will be using about 170 deg of a motor turn anyway, so the entire pot is not being used.
    What other hardware are you asking about?
    With JRKS, put a heatsink on the big chip and fan cool it and you will be fine.
    Anything I missed?
  4. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    • Friendly Friendly x 3