1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Gearbox i have.

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by f1iceman, Sep 16, 2015.

1. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5

Hi matey
    I wish is was the one and only iceman tho :)
    Im kinda new on here tbh.
    The pic is not mine but the video is of it when was running, thats my friend when he owned it, i got it of him and in bits i have everything tho to build it back up when/if i get chance too, lots of issues with wires and think couple monitor boards gone. but all else is there.
    would be nice to build it one day tho, but like you say the gearbox is kinda cool abit like a mech box in some cars main reason i bought it.
    I think its the only triple screen ridge racer in uk thats what my friend says and he been in the arcade business all his life so i gotta take it until i see or hear of another one its just that, they did a single screen version with same gearbox on i think and prob not so rare.
    I find the centre spring is abit to harsh when i was using it in gt5 on pS3, other than that its very real isn't it.
    The problem i have is its weight and size as i would want it to move with my seat mover and that could be an issue, ive not investigated it yet as im not quite ready for it that part of sim build.

Im kinda hoping it gives others ideas to build a similar version, might try strip it soon and get sum component pics and sizes.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @f1iceman , its a neat set out.
    I can figure out the spring part easy, done that. Well. with a sequential.
    20150921_163559.jpg
    and adapting that into a "H" pattern shifter doesnt seem difficult. Theres a few sites and youtube videos handy.
    Just the notchy rod might be a tad hard for me as I do not have an engineering workshop handy. But I reckon a length of steel rod with some grinds shaved into it to make the shape and a suitable spring ball would do it.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    love what your making there, as long as it works it don't matter what they look like after, bloody brilliant does it work from a switch on off when done
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @f1iceman , its a bit difficult to see, but i use micro switches that are wired into a hacked dpad button board.
    one switch for shift up, one for shift down, you can see my rough and ready button box as well
    20150921_171411.jpg
  5. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I agree Dave, you can use a long rod out the bottom and hand saw (a drill bit and keyhole saw would work) to make the H-pattern plate like I have below, also a good place to put the micro switches (ok, so the ones that I had handy were not so micro, lol).

For F1iceman he could do the same but at the top.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    That brilliant what you have made :)
    a long time ago me n a friend made a similare thing but used a joystick and just cut the H plate saved all the switches, then just mapped the joystick moves, but also please look into the ball bearing part on the pic i put up as that denotes a real feel of going into gear that will work awesome with what you have done so far. i think you can use cuboard catches to do the same from memory put them at each end of the lever travel by each switch.
    catch.jpg
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    mind you the joystick one was a right nightmare to get right, you gone the right way there
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    That clasp is not needed with this setup, the bearing rolling off the high points give the exact feel of engaging a gear.
  9. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    anymore pics of it its cool
  10. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    This shifter was first pioneered by a member here on the forums; Elnino. I just enlarged his plans slightly to make it easier to machine, added my own design for the h-pattern plate and micro switches.

IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0331.JPG IMG_0333.JPG
    • Like Like x 3
  11. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Love it does it drop into gear and do you have to pull it abit to get it out of gear?
    is the spring there so the bearings can move up n down to follow the curve when pushed forward n back
  12. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    I can see bsft having a play making this now :)
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got the pencil and paper in action......
    • Like Like x 2
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have not included the notchy bit, but theres my drawing, from that I will give it a whirl @f1iceman

Attached Files:

15. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    HA ha i new you would :) try put some notchy bits it will make it.
    I know that the H bit is a right pain to get right and strongenough so the bits don't break off.
    I really must get my head into gear aswell, my brain is getting excited with it all now ( pardon the pun ) lol
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah, the notchy bit would help hold it in gear, while the springs help it return to centre.
    Al I can think of for a notchy thing is a ball spring thighy like a cupboard door stopper (shown above somewhere) and part of the length of rod having grinds in it to line up with springy ball. Piece of cake.
    But from that sketch , I should be able to concoct something up.
    Pity I could not scan my thoughts as usually I just measure and go.
    Very little actual proper design. I am hopeless at CAD or stuff like that.
  17. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    The spring and ramp give it that "clunk" into gear and the resistance getting it out of gear. It creates a very realistic feel of shifting gears.

@bsft The Notchy Bit is the whole point of building the shifter. Without it I may as well just put seven buttons on a panel and push the one numbered for the gear that I want. I wanted a shifter that felt as realistic as possible.

Dave, I have a suggestion for you. You mention that you are not great at CAD, and I know most programs have a very steep learning curve. Check out DesignCAD-3D Max. It is a very easy to learn and use design software. I started out on this one. Here is a link but I would not bother with the latest version as there is very little difference between version 16 and 25. You can pick up an older version for 20.00 (ish) USD. And if you have questions on how to use it I would be happy to help.

http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/DesignCAD/DesignCAD-3D-MAX
  18. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    You need to design the notchy bit then build around it i guess is the best way with how you go about it. im not sure i get the drawing as you have 2 spring pulling the stick back to centre forward and back not side to side so your not able to keep it in say first without it coming back to neutral ? i would build from the notchy bit and make the H shift on its own then add a clip on plat for sequncial shift with 2 spring that push back to centre from 3rd n 4th.the springs are build into the plate tho. or even a lever that pushs the spring out the way and not intererfer with the h shift pull level and they sit between 3rd n 4th. get both gearboxs in one that way.H shift is they way to build to then add the sq shift as thats easyer.
    Have a good play tho i like what your upto tho :)
  19. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Infact ive just looked at it and prob more important to get the h bit to work right as thats the most important to get right then everything else you can put on as added bits as your only then working with the front to back bit of the stick for both addons
  20. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes yes @f1iceman and @Historiker , the notchy bit was not included in the drawing, yes I know I need it
    Its a sketch, I know it needs refinement......
    • Like Like x 1