1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

G Loc Flight Sim Project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by G LOC, Jan 29, 2008.

1. G LOC

G LOC New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm new to this community and looking for some help and ideas on my flight sim project. I'm converting a Sega G-Loc sit down arcade machine to a motion flight simulator that can run Falcon or Microsofts Flight Sim. The machine is currently setup with two large servo motors for the motion. The front of the machine has a swivel eye and the back is connected by two vertical rods. If the rods move together the machine changes pitch if both work oposite roll is produced. I have been told the motors are 90 VDC motors. I'm looking for some ideas on what to use for motor drives for these large motors. I'm also looking for ideas on LCD monitors. If you know of any sources for nice 18 or 19open frame LCD monitors that would be helpful. If you have any suggestions or ideas I would appreciate it.
    I finally figured out how to shrink down some photos to post. I need to do lots of cleaning on the machine and remove all the old electronics.

gloc_side.jpg Body.jpg Linkage.jpg Ballscrew.jpg motors.jpg
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Justin!

My DIY dual simple mosfet h-bridge can handle voltages up to 50volt! So I believe you can use it to drive your motors as long proper cooling is applied to the mosfets and the current that the motors draw isn't too high (above 30amp for each motor).

But I think I might design another one just for you that can handle 60amp by using parallel placed mosfets...!

First check your motors to see how they perform on 12 and 24 volt and if this is not enouph you can try 48volt (four car batteries in series). Driving them in lower voltage will not harm them... In worst case they will not have torque...

Regards, Thanos
  3. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hi Justin,

Welcome!

Currently, the only bottleneck seems to be the 90V requirement of your motors. Elektronikjack, for example, grabbed a 440A driver for a forklift at the junkyard ;)
    Perhaps you could find or buy something similar? With Thanos modification (adapter) any motor driver should be connectable to it.

Would be nice to see some pics of your G-Lock sim and to read your progresses here.

regards
    Christian

Edit: As the gearboxes are connected via pulleys and belts to the motors, the motors should be replacable without bigger issues. They could be replaced easily with some with less voltage requirement.
    Just in case you wont be able to find a proper driver.
  4. G LOC

G LOC New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I had to it would be fairly easy to change out the motors. I will run some test to see how the motors run at 12 and 24 volts when I get a free moment. I should have some time this weekend.
  5. G LOC

G LOC New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got a chance tonight to try running the motors with a 12 volt battery. The speed of the motors were too slow. I will need to run at least 24 if not 36 volts to get a good speed. How clean does the power need to be that I use to drive the motors? Can I use a transformer and a bridge rectifier with a capacitor for a supply?
  6. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Justin,

I think its better to power it with 24volt from two car batteries in series. Its not how clean is the power signal but if it can handle the motor's amp needs! For example I was started by powering my wiper motors with normal computer PSU's that the give switching power supply!

Regards, Thanos
  7. G LOC

G LOC New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't had much time to work on this project and someone wants to purchase the original motors from the machine. I'm thinking that it may be best to go with pneumatic cylinders or electric linear acuators for the motion. I found some information on a Plasma MM2 card that may allow me to use the original joystick with the microsoft flight sim. I need to look into this deeper. I'm currently looking for an LCD monitor to replace the CRT. It appears that industrial open frame LCDs are very expensive compared to desktop PC LCDs.