1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Fusion 360 question(s)

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by Pierre Lalancette, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Ok Fusion 360 Gurus, when it comes to CAD drawing, film 3D experience is worth nothing.

How do I get to make the gear tooth to be in a V shape. I tried to select center vertex, can`t do. Try to move the 2 sides faces, it refuses. Try to switch to immediate mode, does nothing. Arg! This is so frustrating!

fusion360.jpg
  2. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @Pierre Lalancette - Well, I have a way to do it, but not sure how good of a gear profile you get. Probably OK but you can see.

g1.jpg

What I did was draw a circle for the gear body and a tooth using the sketch palette. I then did a circular copy of the tooth to make teeth but made twice as many teeth as I wanted. This was to get a profile that was each side of the gear even though it was just one side. Depending on the angle of the V that you want and the thickness of the gear, you may want more. This is still in flatland - just the outlines. I then created an offset plane up from the circle with teeth that was the thickness of half of the gear and did it again. Then I did a loft command and picked a single tooth profile on the bottom and a single tooth profile on the top that I wanted to loft into each other. I think you can also loft along a path if you want curved V sides instead of straight like I did here. That gives you a single tooth at an angle and all the other stuff you drew goes away. I then went back and did a circular copy of that one tooth around the axis to get one half of the gear but it's still just the teeth. Drew another circle to recreate the gear body and extruded it up through the gear teeth to create a single gear. To get the V-shaped teeth, I mirrored the gear across one of the faces. You probably want to join the two bodies but I was just seeing if I could do it. I then went back and made the hub hole, hub, and the other hole just using regular commands.

Not sure if that's the best way - probably not. But it is maybe a way? :thumbs
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  3. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I'm sure they are doing it on purpose. How can we make a software that wont be natural, totally not intuitive and will frustrate the user. Welcome to Fusion 360.

I have a sketch selected, I want to make a copy of it. Press M, the move/COPY tool, but guess what? The COPY part of the tool is not there at all. I mean, it is too much to ask for a copy. Is it too hard for a computer to take faces/vertices/edges and to provide a COPY? This is not what computer are here for, doing repetitive task?

fusion360_1.jpg

Ok, maybe my sketch is not divided into parts that I can duplicate. I do another sketch, only for the gear's tooth. I was hoping to snap on my actual sketch as a reference. Noooooo, snap is only for the grid, other points are not relevant. Still, I do it. M again for the MOVE/copy tool. Now what? I cannot select my sketch, no mater where I click. AAAAAARGGGG!!!!

fusion360_2.jpg
    This poor excuse of a software is among my top 10... Top 5... No, top 3 of worst experience in 3D.

I mean, my job is to learn new 3D softwares every years or so. I love to do that!
    I hated every second spend into Fusion 3D.

Because of that, I hate 3D printing and I hate my actual build. This is such a waste of precious time.

Maybe I am not thinking the right way. I am much too used to other 3D softwares. But I tried, I really did.
    ... calming down ...
    Sorry about the rant. I just wanted to let some heat go. I probably trying to do things too fast, not learning the basics. Will have to go back to tutorials... sigh.
    Sorry again for the bad attitude. It did not even make me feel better. Should have done something positive instead.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. RandomCoder

RandomCoder Active Member Gold Contributor

Control Engineer
    Balance:
    1,674Coins
    Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    I know your frustration! Even what seems like the simplest task is somehow made to appear ridiculously difficult and counter intuitive.
    But luckily there is normally some kind person on YouTube that likes to share their knowledge....

And I'm certain there will be many other ways of completing the same task!!!

Hopefully this will help to relieve the stress ;)
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    keep at it buddy, You'll get it in no time. There's A LOT of thing's fusion can do, so there's LOT of layers and ways to screw a part up.
  6. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @Pierre Lalancette - I'm totally with you that it would be easier if you didn't have to worry about that and could just copy whatever you want and place it wherever you want, but I think there are reasons it is built like it is. There is a timeline at the bottom of the screen that records each step you use to design your part. I don't know their reasons so this is just speculation, but I suspect that the way the transformation from sketch to 3D object works forces them into this paradigm. They have a concept of sketches and objects which are not the same and that may also have something to do with it. I've had to redo designs because there are dependencies that build in and if I change or delete steps earlier in the process, it breaks things later on. It certainly isn't perfect but it's actually quite powerful once you adjust to how it wants things to be done.

At any rate, the software was free so if it doesn't do what you want you aren't out anything but the time you have spent with it so far.

You could also ask the people who really know the software on their boards to see what the real gurus would tell you. There are plenty of menu items I haven't used and I have a hunch that some of them might enable some of the things that have stymied me at times. The guys on the Autodesk forums would know and also know if there is a solution or maybe a bug report or feature request should be filed.

I'm guessing there was something wrong with the way I posted that created a gear with V-shaped teeth?
  7. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks all for the kind words. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with your way @Zed, I just don't know the software. I was hoping it would be easy. Nothing to do with simulator is easy. But it could have been fun...

I feel like I am polluting the forum instead of putting my energy to the right place. Thanks @RandomCoder for the tut. It is a nice approach for making tooths and the wheel in one go. Still, I don't recall a single tut where people did make a copy of a sketch. Starting to wonder if it can be done at all.

I will keep at it @Nick Moxley , I have too. One day, I will look at this thread and tell myself: "Man, was I a noob?!"
    The only reason I would give up is to go higher with Solid Edge. I have a friend who use it as a professional CAD designer, living 15 min away from my home. But, his busy schedule proved to be a deal breaker and I lost hope for any help from his part.

Before this, never a software made me loose my temper over a duplicate command.:rolleyes: Must be a wrong approach.
  8. Jerry Atrick

Jerry Atrick this is my sim Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    1,414Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi Pierre, having trouble making gears! maybe you could try this.

Even I can insert from a catalogue! (British spelling)

regards Jerry:)
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    what do you mean you cant copy and paste a sketch ?
  10. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Like the picture I put here: Fusion 360 question(s)

I was not able to repeat my simple gear sketch. When I redid it over, I could not move it. But it's probably my lack of knowledge.

Making a gear is not the real problem for me, @Jerry Atrick , it is more the V shaped tooth that cause me trouble. I already printed a gear from a catalog as a test. Again, my lack of knowledge and my desire to go too fast is probably the cause of my trouble.
  11. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Disable your Bodies, Work with the sketch only,..make sure you highlight All of the sketch lines your wanting..... I copy sketches all the time from one file to the next when needed....your missing something easy for sure. As i said before, give it some time and you'll love it....being freeware its not like your out much as other's have said. Keep at it bud.
  12. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have my shape in a sketch, and I know how to select only the sketch lines.

fusion360_3.jpg

But I can't do anything with it. Simply because the sketch is not black, due to the curve, probably. But I have no idea how to make it black.

fusion360_4.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  13. RandomCoder

RandomCoder Active Member Gold Contributor

Control Engineer
    Balance:
    1,674Coins
    Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    How did you create your sketch? I've not used Fusion 360 yet but do have experience with AutoCad Inventor and I'd bet that you have a gap somewhere preventing it from becoming a complete polyline. In AutoCAD Mechanical you could attempt to hatch the area and it would highlight the open ends for you. Not sure if this function exists in 360 so you may just have to zoom in really close and check all points are connected.
  14. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    That makes a lot of sense. I don't have Fusion installed here (on the week) because I needed space for Solid Edge... :) Taking a break of Fusion helps my moral. LOL
    But I will check it as soon as I can. I have no idea how you fuse all the lines together, but it should not be hard. Just like making a COPY.
  15. Jerry Atrick

Retired
    Balance:
    1,414Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi Pierre, maybe this will help, with your challenge.

Jerry
    • Useful Useful x 2
  16. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Super. I will try that on friday for sure. Thanks @Jerry Atrick
  17. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    If someone wants to use that script, you have to put it in (with your user name):

C:\Users\Lalancelot\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Autodesk Fusion 360\API\Scripts

The full folder (ConnectTheDots-master) and remove the -master part of the folder's name (ConnectTheDots).
    Then it should appear in your Fusion 360 scripts and you'll be able to run it.

I did. It took about 13 minutes on my poor little laptop. All the black dots disappeared one by one, exepted one. Still, now I can select the center body and extrude a gear.

But what I need is to make copies of this sketch (that I can turn), so I can loft them all into a gear that has v shape tooth. So, I set the select filter to Sketch Curves and select all my curves, press M...

Guess what? I still can't make a copy.

fusion360_5.jpg

I tried crt-c, crt-v, create a new sketch, extrude it and turn one face, sacrifice a chicken... Nothing worked.

I could recreate the full sketch, connect the dots, but... Come on! There must be a better way.

Frustration is letting place to discouragement. :(
  18. Jerry Atrick

Retired
    Balance:
    1,414Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi Pierre, I really thought the execution of that script would have ended you frustration;
    So when it comes to finding the answer, we in Australia would say " I'm stuffed if I know":oops:

Hope you find the answer as I keen to know!

Regards Jerry
  19. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Almost there:

fusion360_6.jpg

The copy is in the right click over a selected sketch and use the command 'copy'. Then, you can 'paste' it in the same sketch and move it. Do a create/loft and select the faces in the right order. Then drag select the center sketch and press M to turn it. This is over simplify since all of this as to follow some rules that I don't really understand. I'll tried to do a tut over this, once I'll find linear interpolation in the loft. But it is 4h in the morning and I have to go to bed.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +884 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Seriously?

fusion360_7.jpg