1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Full Frame 2 DOF + Traction Loss new build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Halloween2go, May 20, 2020.

1. adamtheray

adamtheray New Member

Balance:
    75Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    This and the YouTube videos have inspired my to build my own rig. Thanks for posting!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. adamtheray

adamtheray New Member

Balance:
    75Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Also you have me the confidence to know even an amateur like me can pull off metal work with a little patience. And in my case serious patience from a pro :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fdmml

Fdmml Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    143Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    First thank you! Your videos helped me a lot for the construction of my simulator :thumbs
    I am looking for the 8 pin connectors for the H bridges of the motors, do you have a reference, an Amazon link?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChuckyP

ChuckyP Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    748Coins
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    he uses old sound card cables. Mentioned here at 9:45

If you want those look for an 8pin 4x2 cable.
    https://a.co/d/7HIzRdl

I bought a cheap kit on Amazon and it came with the connectors and crimps. I wouldn’t use the wire it comes with though. If you go that route.

Glarks SN-28B Terminal Professional Pin Crimping Tool for 2.54mm 3.96mm 28-18AWG 0.1-1.0mm2
    https://a.co/d/7Afjyx3

Glarks 1191Pcs 2.54mm Pitch 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Pin Housing Connector and Male Female Crimp Pins with Pin Header and 10 Wire Rainbow Color Flat Ribbon IDC Cable Compatible with Dupont Connector Kit
    https://a.co/d/e0kVuTu
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  5. Slider

Slider Active Member

Irrigation
    Balance:
    1,130Coins
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, JRK
    Just read from start to finish - well done on an excellent rig. I am about to pull mine apart and add traction loss so I really wanted to see how you did yours. I will look for some state board/ roller blade wheels now. Noce job!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kevinski

Kevinski If it doesn't fit, hit it until it does.

Jack of many trades, mastering some.
    Balance:
    595Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Shout out to you Dave. I found your YouTube channel before the xsimulator forum. Your 3DOF rig definitely got my creative juices flowing. Helped a lot with ideas and gave me a road map to get my own rig up and running. You are a good man for taking the time to document, video and share your experience.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2023
  7. Halloween2go

Halloween2go Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks buddy.. I just figured I should do it.. cause I did not see much about building one when I was making this one.. Now I'm on to building another one .. (still race this one every week though) 3 years.. working great.. check out my channel if you have a chance.. New stuff in the pipeline about to set out.. DMAX
  8. Kevinski

Balance:
    595Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Halloween2go I have subscribed to your YouTube channel already Dave and have checked out many of your video's. I'm uploading my new step by step how to build my design 3DOF rig to YouTube as we type. I'll upload to the build thread soon. Check it out when it goes live. I'll tag you in the post. There's a shout out to you in the video! I'd like to race some time with you guys on-line. Your crew race the cars I love. The time zone difference is the tricky part.
  9. Kevinski

Balance:
    595Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Halloween2go here is the first video in my 3DOF build Dave. Kudos to you is at the 20 min mark.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Halloween2go

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Nice work my friend! I'm watching your video right now.. DMAX
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Halloween2go

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  12. Halloween2go

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  13. Halloween2go

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I'm away from my RIG and toys and all that most weeks.. but I want to attempt filling in the blanks if I can on how to get your rig up and running. I took a few minutes to make some videos about it.. This is just to check in - instead of waiting like two months between videos - It is what it is.. DMAX
  14. Wingchop

Wingchop New Member

Balance:
    13Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi Dave, thank you for the great informative videos.
    I’m now gathering all the materials to build a rig and your videos are very helpful.
    I got a question, on the jazzy motors video you put a fuse between the IBT’s and the motors, why not between the power supply and the IBT? Wouldn’t it still protect the motor and at the same time protect the IBT if the fuse goes before the IBT?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Kevinski

Balance:
    595Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Wingchop I’d put a fuse both sides of the IBT2’s. One after the power supplies and before the IBT 2’s and one between the IBT2 and the motor. the difficulty will be determining which size fuse to use on the motor side as your motors draw different amounts of current/amps when in use. Depending on motor choice, wattage mainly, they can draw a lot of Amps under load. My motors for example stall at 65amps! My mains power at home that I run my power supplies from is only a 20 amp circuit. My motors in real world terms, with a well balanced rig, operate between 18 and 22 amps when gaming. My two cents anyway.
  16. Steamcatcher

Steamcatcher New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    27Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    This is the post that gave me the initial push to build my own 2 DOF Sim rig. I will make a post about my build eventually but first I must thank you, @Halloween2go as you are the man that gave me the motivation to do so. Thank you!
    • Like Like x 1