1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Full DIY 4DOF with TL and SURGE

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by MihaiDIY, Mar 28, 2022.

1. MihaiDIY

MihaiDIY Member

Manufacturing Engineer
    Balance:
    267Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Got the monitor stand fully built (2 reprisals , first 120⁰ which was too wide and it would not fit the width of the room as i have cabinets and shelves on both walls as part of the workshop plus i will have to offset the rig and stand to one side of the room to allow plenty of space to jump on the rig on the opposite side) with 180⁰ FOV , each monitor at 60 ⁰ from the horizon line.

The stand looks and it is overkill but it happened that this type of CLS Studwork timber was a lot cheaper overall comparing to the smaller sizes, plus i will add (in the near future) some sort of canopy/more of an enclosure for the rig which will mostly be connected to and part of the monitors stand.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. MihaiDIY

MihaiDIY Member

Manufacturing Engineer
    Balance:
    267Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Here we go again!

I have to admit i have 95% of the parts, but the entire build is going SLOW. I am aiming to work on this 2 3 hours during the week (after work at 17:00) and 6 to 8 hours on saturdays and sundays.

Painted all the woodwork and lay it down on it's final position, added casters for ease of moving it around for housekeeping mainly.

Also started on the wiring of the electrical cabinet, which i should finish by monday evening.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. MihaiDIY

MihaiDIY Member

Manufacturing Engineer
    Balance:
    267Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Still ticking along with the electrical cabinet.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  4. MihaiDIY

MihaiDIY Member

Manufacturing Engineer
    Balance:
    267Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Electrical cabinet is DONE !

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  5. MihaiDIY

MihaiDIY Member

Manufacturing Engineer
    Balance:
    267Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Finally got it up on the platform and wired in the verticals only. It Moves !!

The platform does give some unwanted noise resonance , more than i expected, reason why i did not wanted to have a closed box and left the 4 sides open, but still a bit noisy even open platform. I guess i will have to either live with it or deal with it .

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  6. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Looks fantastic, I really like your horizontal actuators. They are much better designed than mine. And your wiring is far far tidier than mine as well . I am jealous :thumbs
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MihaiDIY

MihaiDIY Member

Manufacturing Engineer
    Balance:
    267Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Thank you very much, i really appreciate it.

I wanted to have such machinery since very long time ago, this is why i am taking my time to make it nukeproof and look good too ✌

In regards to wiring, it is just my very bad OCD , as the cabinet will be covered with a MDF lid because there is where i need to step in order to jump into the sim and no one will see it, a bit of shame but i wanted to ve stealth-ish without cables sticking out on the floor, with separate cabinet etc.

Stay tuned as there will be more progress. I might upload videos on YT (never done it before as i have terrible camera skills and accent )
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I would like to see some videos, looking forward to it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MihaiDIY

MihaiDIY Member

Manufacturing Engineer
    Balance:
    267Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Very very productive day today. Managed to install the TL axis (still need to make the conrod between TL subframe and drive assembly), added the servo for the surge , done a fair amount of cable management.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MihaiDIY

MihaiDIY Member

Manufacturing Engineer
    Balance:
    267Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    It's been a long time since last post. Not much has been done but in the background i have designed and printed a lot of parts and figured out what else needs doing and what parts are required.

The project has been abandoned for a while as I (with my partner) had to finish refurbing the house and my main aim was to get the roof done and all the upper floor to a "live in level"

Anyway we are on the downstairs at the moment with just few things left and tiling the entire kitchen plus installing the new cupboards. Between work, kids and refurbing the house i can tell you is not easy.

From now i will start posting more often as i will get a bit of time in between , plus my entire basement is full of boxes with parts and 3d printed components which makes moving around a living hell.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
  11. Kenshiro27

Kenshiro27 Active Member

Balance:
    15Coins
    Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Hello
    nice achievement, you know how to use your 10 fingers
    well done
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MihaiDIY

MihaiDIY Member

Manufacturing Engineer
    Balance:
    267Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    This post is only related to the pedals deck and active harness tensioner which are not my designs , I have only added little improvements to suit my needs. Belt tensioner is the SimHub version of Wotever build and the pedals are SRT designed by Lebois.

The belt tensioner is not fully finished yet as i need space to move around the rig at the back hence why is missing the lever arms and the harness itself. (Not much clearance at the back, but enough not to touch the wall when surge is fully slid back)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  13. MihaiDIY

MihaiDIY Member

Manufacturing Engineer
    Balance:
    267Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Back to the rig full time and no stop until is fully finished. (I have a job too but i do not log that time, because i have a partner and kids which are the part of my "household time management" which is critical to when i finish this. )

From here on, most of the work left is fitting all the the PC / USB hubs/ USB's in general, cables and cable management.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  14. ins0mniac

ins0mniac New Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    The wiring looks really good.
    Just finished my SFX-100 build.
    Got a spare 90ST-M02430, planning on building a Surge, a silent model, if possible using aluminium profiles.
    Trying to locate plans and Bom, so far no luck.
    Any pointers? =)
  15. MihaiDIY

MihaiDIY Member

Manufacturing Engineer
    Balance:
    267Coins
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    @ins0mniac please see this post (ignore first 2 3 photos with the subframe) in which you can see how i designed my surge.

If interested i can provide details on how i have done it and which parts i bought from Amy
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ins0mniac

ins0mniac New Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    Thank you for the quick reply!
    1. Very much.
    2. Yes, please. Bom would be most helpful
    (I got my SFX parts from Amy too =)
  17. Stuyo

Stuyo New Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hi @MihaiDIY, I am planning to build something similar for surge, but am exploring options for mounting the rail guides to profiles. Originally planned to use L-brackets, but it would be much easier with your solution. Can you please share how strong the mounts are in the long run? Also what material you used? My experience tells me PLA should be enough printed flat to hold enough weight and it should work, but worth double-checking with your experience. My surge platform will be heavy, but yours is too. It will support a seatmover stile TL system that swivels only seat, actuator will be built-in the surge platform so we are looking at near to 200kg with rider.
    Thanks for the well documented build, it served me as great inspiration for my project!