1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial From AtoZ : 2DOF arduino wiper playseat

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by RacingMat, Aug 8, 2013.

1. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi Kevin!

Please refer to the DIY tutorial: it's up to date. http://www.xsimulator.net/2dof-motion-simulator-truck-wiper-motor-playseat/
    This post was about Xsim months before Simtools release!

First, try a simple setup with only 1 computer (IP adresses are an issue only when using 2 LAN connected computer!

Eager to see your sim working!!
    Mat
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  2. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,958 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Would be good to have that as additional note in the first post of this project thread, so people see on a glance that this thread is outdated here.
  3. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    It's done, René! ;)
    Soon I'll publish a new tutorial about DIY Shifter!
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,837Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,958 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Thanks Mat,

have a pleasant trip into New Year;)
  5. Tech2123

Tech2123 Tech2123

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I notice you have the wiper motors mounted in different positions? is this recommended?

6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Tech2123 , racingmat has only built ONE sim, if you have a design in mind, start a new thread and we can chat about it there.
    There are some of us whom have been through 10 or more builds getting motor position sorted.
  7. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The question is why the motor's mounting is different between right and left side...
    In fact, only because the mounting base was not high enough and full of pre-existing holes, I had to find a position where I could screw the motor ;-)
    so there is nothing recommended!

Do you plan to start your own simulator? Good idea!
    I posted my first building tutorial on the french forum Gamoover.net and leonaikikai started his own the 5th january and finished yesterday ! 1 month ;-)
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. Tech2123

Tech2123 Tech2123

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes I have started to build it, based on your design, added monitor mount for 3 monitors, at stage of mounting motors ect, got electronics all built, will need info on the software and plugins, want to run a dash as well.

I will use for Flight and car sim, I will try to use 2 computers.

Pics attached..

Attached Files:

10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wipers will struggle if not break using them and his motor placement. Especially if you plan to add 3 screens.
    Make sure it is balanced properly as well.
    Look at either big worm gear motors like the daytons or 12v boat winch motors. Then place the motors at at least 30 deg angle back and to the sides so they run properly. Mats design (not actually his) is NOT suitable for what you are planning.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yes! Looks very good!
    So you chose to move the screens: I'm eager to see that (i was affraid by vibrations and weight)!
    To start, you can use the presets I uploaded in the Resources (axes and interface) and run! (Hopefully!)
    Mat
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just a note, another member has 3 screens on his sim, so you will need bigger motors and more angle and height for the motors to connect.
    look at this vid to see, disregard the surge slider he has underneath it. The video shows the better placement for motors if you want 3 screens on it.
    Thanks Lee.
  13. Tech2123

Tech2123 Tech2123

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I looked at the video, it looks dooble, I would have to make a motor extension to my current frame to get those angles, since I not done the motor yet, helps me move forward.

Do you know the recommended RPM for those gear motors?
  14. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  15. Tech2123

Tech2123 Tech2123

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I has motors up front near the feet , but I didnt have screens mounted on it.
    With screens on it, you need to have the motors connecting as high as possible to overcome the high centre of gravity. Hence the shoulder mount and motors at 30-50 deg angle at the back. The angle should be something like how the Scn5 is mounted on a seat mover. That sort of angle.
  17. Tech2123

Tech2123 Tech2123

Balance:
    314Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Great thank you.. I will go with the rear high mounts, that was the plan for the mount originally, just the 30-50 degree part I will need to extend the motor mounts a bit (putting the motors sideways seems a bit more easy to mount)
    Another question? The pots I got are not 360 degree so I will have to either get different ones or mount them with the slotted lever style that never goes 360.
    Re: center gravity, I did center it with monitors, and controllers, pedals, etc. and driver before I attached to base.

Thank you for all the info really helps, I have been wanting to do this for 3 years now.
  18. RacingMat

Balance:
    20,876Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi Tech2123!

What you have to design is the Moment = F * distance from joint
    Both lateral view and rear view
    moment des forces1.PNG moment des forces2.PNG
    Effort required from motor in Red or Blue configuration is roughly equal if distances are equal.
    As in your case, front part is longer : so putting the motors in front of the seat will let you have shorter rods.

Mat
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @RacingMat , @Tech2123 , again front mount motors will work, especially down near the feet, but you still need to connect them as high as you can.
    With my "foot motor" frame, I made a section so the motor connection hooked up at about the bottom level of the seat, but higher is preferred. Mine worked as the motor to pivot was about 700mm distance. I didnt have screens on mine moving with the frame. In foresight, a bit higher connection would have been better again.

Its not JUST a matter of balancing the frame, but going higher than the centre of gravity , which generally speaking is your belly button. If you can go up near the same "line" as that or higher, you are going to put less load on the motors.
    Its not a matter or shorted rod end connections, its a matter of overcoming the power needed to move the thing.
    So @Tech2123 , if you want to move 3 screens, you HAVE to mount the motors at the back at the shoulders or even a bit higher if you can. And yes , as much angle as you can. 30-50 deg.
    And you calculated the best pivot point with everything on the frame, not the actual centre of gravity. Pivot balance is crucial, next thing is over coming centre of gravity.
    With pots, if they are single 360 deg turns, just tap a hole in the back of the motor shaft and slot the pot shaft into this. Then you use about 180 deg turn of that pot and it will still be very accurate.
    Cheers, David.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. treza

treza New Member

Balance:
    - 39Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    Hi!
    writing your point of view in bold and UPPERCASE is not explaining... unlike formulas and sketches
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1