1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Frex to X-Sim Commander

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Brightonuk, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    I have been stuggling with various issues such as having to run a 64 bit OS so my card (GTX 295) can display direct 3D through a PJ but only having a FREX with all their 32 bit hardware, it was not looking good but I have had tremedous help from bvillersjr who has tirlessy help me to get the Commander to run on a VISTA 64 bit platform.

Then as I thought I am acually going to see my actuators move I find that the Sim-X Commander does not support the Frex hardware so my two choices are to................. well I actually dont have a choice, I have to convert the FREX to work with the X-Sim Commander.
    My fear was the complexaty of such a task but I find that it is sooooo simple (I hope) and looking over the various threads regarding the X-Sim is itthat simple just to replace the SimComBase and SimConMotion with a pair of these?

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5889-USB-to-RS485-Connector.aspx

Even so I have some questions If I install the USB > 485 what am I replacing, the SimConMotion or the SimConBase or both?

is all that is inside those two boxes just an USB > RS485?

Will I be able to use the mechanical Tachometer ?
    As I understood the SimConBase controlled that aspect, does the Commander support using a mechanical Tach?

I see I can keep the FREX Power Supply; so again is that all I need the RS485 and the connectors? Is it all that simple?
    Is there a certain type of cable I should use between the RS485 and the Acuators ie a data cable?

Thanks for any input
  2. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi,

I did convert my frex to x-sim and yes the only thing you need is those RS485<->USB converters and not the simconbase and simconmotion boxes, actually i have the same you mentioned.
    It works flawlessly and i think you still can use your simconbase for tacho stuff. (i don't use it anymore)
    The x-sim software looks a bit complicated at first, but after some fiddling around its actually very easy;) just download a good profile from the forums and your good to go 8)

Check out masteryoda's excellent tutorial:

how-to-convert-your-frex-scm-to-x-sim-t1412.html

Cheers,

Rob
  3. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Business Owner
    Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Thanks Rob
    When I read the in-depth posts on how to some of those posts get to programming level knowledge or stuff that is waaaaay above my capabilities.
    I get that these guys have been using this stuff for years or have extensive knowledge in certain fields but it just seemed the more I read the more daunting it all looked.
    Then I go back to MasterYodas post on how to convert the FREX to X-Sim and it just did not seem it could be that easy.

As you can see I had a hard time even getting the Commander loaded on VISTA 64. I spent 3 hours with a tech (Ha Ha) in India courtesy of MS trying to get Framework3.5 loaded (Did not work) then after finding on line how to do it all my hours of frustration may have been for nothing as the Commander is not compatible with the SimConMotion or Base, I was totally gutted, and the wife did not help, my FREX is in the middle of the dinning room computer on the dinning room table she is a little fed up with the whole thing.

Anyway I am working with bvillersjr who has been invaluable in his patience and help trying to get my FREX operational.
    I am waiting on the RRS485's and bvillersjr said SimXperiance are working on producing a set of interconnects between the RS485 and the Actuators, I feel that if I let someone who knows what they are doing handle this it will be a professional job with no complications.

After this is all over I am gonna write a novel on “The idiots guide on how not to build a sim”

As this Sim experience is brand new to me and I have watched all the videos on YouTube of X-Sim in operation I am extremely excited to get started, and now I want to mod before I even have my Sim working!! So if you have any advice on how to use the force sender, Yoda and Force profiler please point me in the right direction.

And lastly……………………. have you used the Commander with the new version of Microsoft's “Flight Simulator” if so any tips?

OK that’s all I gotta say.............................

Except again thank for the encouragement

Steve
  4. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi Steve,

I use XSim for 2 weeks now, after 2 years of frex.
    I am not a guy with programming level too, i just go on logical sense really...
    I play games with motion like GTR evolution, RFactor, RBR, Dirt, Nolimits Rollercoaster, and FSX.
    On all those games its quite easy to get it working, as i said before, you just load or 'make' a profile in the force sender, and then load a profile of your likings in the Xsim profiler, tune your actuators like speed and acceleration and press start.
    This sounds like a hassle but believe me if you found some good profiles for certain games you will be stunned how easy and more great it is then the frex software.
    The motion overall is MUCH better then with the frex software. Just search for some good profiles in the forums. (under gamename)
    Especially NIMA has some very good profiles for GTRE and the LFS like games...(thats RBR, DIRT and GRID)
    You can feel the hills and road surface very good, nothing like the frex software... I am never going back to the frex software! (Masteryoda was right :lol: )

Also about setting things up in the software for the first time seems difficult, but just read the tutorial from masteryoda carefully and nothing can go wrong.
    Have to say though i only use the XSim 2.0 software, still have to try the software from SimXperience Commander... I think it will be even easier but i will try it next week or so, just got my Frex SImWheel and hooking that up now.
    But the XSim 2.0 works for me every time!
    If will post some profiles in the near future that i use, the only thing i changed is some speed or limiter sections, i leave the math stuff to the pro's ;) so credits to them.
    Oh and i did't use yoda or the video appz yet, only the force injector for nolimits rollercoaster.
    Note: I use XP 32 bit pro, so no vista or windows 7 crap for me, i use a Nvidia GTX260 card with a 1080p beamer on a 110 inch screen :uups:

Regards,

Rob