1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Frex SimWheel

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by matt_tighe, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes but before that he work on this http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/ForceF ... oller.html thats exactly what i need.
    With DFP there is problem that IT need have two endstops (900° and 200°) thats lot of mechanic :(
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hehe, if you noticed his words on the mechanical stops... simply he doesn't use any!!!! He implements these stops by blocking the motor from further turning when each end-stop position is reached based on the encoder status!!!!!! Its brilliant!

Thanos
  3. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Exactly (BTW DFP and G25 using it as well and DFP has also mechanical stops) but if he dont sell his (a dont talk about AC servos) FF board i must use FF from DFP. But When DFP calibrate it move to -450° then +450 change endstop and goes to -120° and to 120° so i must do two endstops. And still i am not sure how will DFP electronic react to diferent nubers of steps from sensor ..
  4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    hmm, a roller transmission wouldnt be able to trasmit enough torque. Have a look at the small contact zone, that only works due to friction.

Regards
    Christian
  6. Lance_

Lance_ Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcqOE-FSnFI

:clap:
  7. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So i was right 8) there are two screws ...
  8. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Amazing work Frex has done!

@Thanos
    your link does not work for me...

Regards
    Christian
  10. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Hi.
    Yes Mambo you are right i was wrong.
    Nice work from frex,a rollerscrew and a big ballscrew (expencife but very interesting)
    A good idee for a rotary actuator that stays within 2 and 4 o clock ,with acme screw for full lock
    and a turned sqaure axel for 60 degrade turning gided with bearings.
    My speed problem with acme screws is gone this way.
    I am saving money for a mill (have a lathe)and this will be the first thing i am gone make.

regards Ad
  11. matt_tighe

matt_tighe New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good call Mambo... you stayed strong till then end ;-)

Thats a great review vid of the wheel, I'm quite tempted now but i bit concerned that the guy in the vid said he had ffb wobble in a straight line as that hints at lag of the same magnitude as the G25.

I still think the G25 ffb is very good, the question is: is it worth shelling out £1000 to find out if the Frex is better?

Hmmm, it is a great mechanism though!

Matt
  12. zapan

zapan New Member

Balance:
    11Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys!

Somebody posted new pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Thanks for linking the missing point of view :thbup:

Regards
    Christian
  14. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    WOW they use really small pitch on smaler screw, that is why it is so expensive. With more powerfull motor it could be less expensive and more friendly to do it DIY :D I wonder if it is really so quiet and lag free.
  15. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  16. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I think the smaller leadscrew drive is one of the cheaper components on it. The big ballscrew drive and the ball bearing rail slide are the components that should make you dizzy.
    Great product, but its hardly possible to rebuild it for the average hobbyists imho.
    Keep in mind as well, that Frex purchases those individual parts for a fraction of what european or american guys have to pay for them.

Regards
    Christian
  17. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Its surprising but from certain point price rising really ugly. Make big ball screw is much cheaper than make really small (make small balls, everething is smaller, but tolerance isnt change that much). If you use more power full motor you can use bigger smaller screw, ball bearing rail slide you can replace by rail slide from furniture (i really dont know exact englis terms) it isnt so precise and so on but price is really good. On the end it wouldnt be so nice, clean and PaP but for certain better than DFP or G25.
    BTW Few years ago who would say that you will be successfully building motion kokpits and now ... :D

EDIT: from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/THK-HRW27-Wide-Line ... dZViewItem and you have ball bearing rail slide
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ISEL-25x10-Anti-Bac ... dZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/EMCO-F1-Anti-Backla ... dZViewItem with this two screws you have gear nuber 10/2,5=4 if you add some gearbox ...
    only price of ballnut is really non DIY :D

EDIT2:http://www.worldofcnc.com/products.asp?recnumber=104 nice price for example C7 Rolled Ballscrew Spindle C7 MDL40x40 £13.20 for 100 mm :D and you can have i=16 with powerfull motor :D
  18. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Well, you're right, it may be possible to save some money, if DIY, but it will be expensive anyway. And just in case the pitch of small and big screw is clear, you will be able to make a realistic calculation. But If one has to do some trial and error with the pitches, it will get expensive very fast.
    I am not sure currently, if the small screw really has a ball bearing nut. Imho it rather could be ACME.
    Like I said, I wont touch such a project before someone comes up with the screw pitches :)

I'm curious to see you building such a device :thbup:

Regards
    Christian
  19. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I know what you're mentioning. In fact they are very precise these days, as they are guided with balls as well.. Good hint!
  20. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    They use them in DIY CNC machines, and yes there are normal and precise typ.