1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Frex SimWheel

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by matt_tighe, Aug 9, 2008.

1. matt_tighe

matt_tighe New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    plus... Shige claim to have invented some that surprised even the manufacturer.

A ball screw and end stops is not that surprising?! Plus he said he needed to get them to re engineer something.
    Flexi coupling looks standard, ball screw looks standard.

Miniscule mega torque linear motor obviously need a bit extra r&d! ;-)
  2. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    1) Well thats what we need :D the nut dont rotate only screw rotate so if screw with high pitch do one rotation secon smal pitch do x more rotations (x=high pitch/small pitch) thats do gearing
    2)not necessarily ball bearing could take axial force so there could be only on one side on another end its support by nut. Big screw has two bearing because you have whelle on it.
  3. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Did you look at video vitch i posted ? There you can see it. Its the same exept they have screw with same pitch (same motors so same pitch) he rotates with fingers and other screw rotate (it have connect nuts). Almost EVERY ball screw can be back driven= it isn metric or trapezoid profile !
  4. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Hi
    I think there sits a encoder ore something like that behinde the coupler
    For Thanos different pitch can be comensated with gears like Mambo sead.
    When there are two shafts they must be conected without you need a lot off force on your steer,ore the second shaft
    must be a bascrew to.
    this way it becomes very pricey
    When you suprise the manufacturer (it can go two ways ,he invented someting great ,or they have a big smile behinde his back)
    regards Ad
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    To get rid of any toothwheel, belt or chain transmission.

Well, assuming there are no toothwheels on the left part of the construction (connected between the lower ballbearing and motor coupling), as Shige confirmed there was no gearing, there are not many options left over.

If Frex used 2 pre-tensioned screw drives coupled, it would reduce the backlash to a minium, and would prevent wearing out like most toy wheels available on the market.
    Pre-tensioned means, that the balls in the nut are pressed together and to the thread of the spindle. This results in nearly zero play and high accuracy in the system. The negative point on pre-tensioning is a higher friction. Some ballscrew nuts allow adjusting that tension manually or by a built-in spring.

A picture from another POV would be helpful at this point :D

All game wheels available yet wear out due to excessive use quite fast, in comparance, as they are made mostly of cheap plastic parts (toothwheels, shafts, bearings), and equipped with pots.
    Frex' construction on the other hand will survive most likely way longer than its user, and due to the encoder there is no wear out of the feedback unit as well.

Regards
    Christian
  6. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    No, cause the encoder connector wires on the pic come out of a black cover which is located directly behind the alloy toothwheel.
  7. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I suspect clarkii2 that he fotograf it from this angle on purpose and now he somwhere laughing and :mug1: on us
  8. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:rofl: :lol: :lol: :tomatos:
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Yes, most likely this will happen :lol:
  10. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Hi
    I agree with this.
    I am smiling for days now,they changed there site The story about the zero backlash planetarygear is gone.
    I know how eu patents work and the costs
    it will take long to come to the break even point, ore they must fly out the store.
    and for a competeder its easy to make it cheaper
    I am still :yippiee:
    regards Ad
  11. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One last try:

http://www.nabtesco.de/english/rdc_features.php

A gearhead with hollow shaft structure that connects to the big screw shaft...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look how close this is to what we are looking for! Perhaps ShigeT asked the manufacturer to make a smaller custom version of it?

Regards, Thanos
  12. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    But why that ? Simple gerbox (or planetary gearbox) do same work. If you have that why use expensive ball screw only for end stop ?
  13. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here some reasons why:

1. Small profile/size. He could have it embedded in the support panel of the screw shaft (thus the reason why it is hidden!)
    2. Great power even from a small motor, as long it is fast (lots of RPM).
    3. There is less mass inside this type of gearhead, that means low inertia and fast direction change!
    4. Near zero-backlash on this type of gearhead!
    5. It can be back-driven if the motor is not powered. If powered its impossible!! (clarkii2 verified that he can rotate the wheel smoothly if its not powered!!!)

Regards, Thanos
  14. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    1) planetary gearbox and another par of cogs do same job
    2)planetray gearbox do same job
    3)but you have mass on big diameter = need more power to turn it
    4)planetary gerbox without backslah exist
    5)this you can do even with DFP but Logitech short circuit motor

i see advantage only in point 1 but cost of customary-built would be enormus.
  15. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    hmm, mini gearbox in the supportpanel :? not likely...

The special part that what was mentioned could be imho the rail/slide combination, the end machining of the shaft, or the massive ballbearing on the right, that fixes the shaft in position.

Regards
    Christian
  16. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey this is insane :D if there could be donation for SCN5 Actuator, why we dont make donation for buing Frex simwheel and autopsy of it ?? :D
  17. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Sure, I am curious about the concept of the construction as well, but starting a donation request to buy one goes too far, I think.
    I dont see much sense in that anyway, cause unlike the SCN5, which will be usable by everyone, the build of a simwheel like construction requires alot of mechanical skills/tools, and most of the members here wouldnt have the ressources and skills to make something like that.
    As well even a rebuild of this would end up in alot of expensive trial&error (different thread/nut pitches etc.).
    If someone here feels himself skilled enough and has the possibilities to get some ballscrews, linear ballbearings etc for cheap including the possibilities to make the proper end-machinig, he should try it.
    But I, for myself, wont touch such a project without a very good rebuilding manual with given dimensions and pitches :)

Regards
    Christian
  18. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OT/ only a joke dont get me too serius /OT
  19. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    BTW I would like to try bulid my own FF wheel. I slowly gathering HW pices. Now i have DC servomotor and in america i have amplifier and Rotary Encoder witch 2500 ppr i would like to (for start) hook up to DFP electronic. After i get amplifier i will experiment with gearing (DFP can do around 5 Nm max, my motor can do 0,2Nm continous and 1,7 Nm peak ) so i am not sure what ratio i shud do. To shame that Lbodnar dont sell his FF interface it have everithing what i need :(
  20. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well Lbodnar used AC motor coupled directly on the wheel (atleast as it seems on the video) and this makes it really fast and silent!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-eftErxd6B4

But as I read on this thread, he has difficulties to release it cause of the immersion patents on FFB...

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=317778

Thanos