1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Frex SimWheel

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by matt_tighe, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Rollers you mean that they would be like planetary gearing ? Becouse thats brilliant idea. Optical sensor looks like that he is inside so could be connect directly to wheel (one with enought resolution would be expensive but in price of wheel its nothing (BTW DFP has around 6000 pulses on rotation) and good electronic could sample raising and falling signal = 4xmore resolution). Motor is 24V and his power source is small so it cant be mutch powerfull so he needs to have high gear ratio witch has planetary gearbox.
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
  3. matt_tighe

matt_tighe New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome... Megatorque :D

That's why shige says be careful with the wheel, if you hold it too hard it will rip the simconmotion of the floor and spin it around you breaking your arms in the process. LOL
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    :rofl:

Shige seems to have a keen sense for miracle drives. SCN5, simwheel drive ... :)
  5. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is this connect to shaft with wheel ? or like in picture ?

Attached Files:

7. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    somebody posted the guys of the wheel, what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

8. matt_tighe

matt_tighe New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    From the pictures it looks like Ego/Tronic you guys were correct...

The screw is fixed and the sled/nut just seems to be used against the end stop bolts at each extreme.

The motor *looks* like it's geared directly to the screw with a very flimsy looking gear at the back. No giant motor hidden inside ;-)

Perhaps my interpretation if those images is wrong but I can't see what would mean that there was no backlash or that the ffb was so massive as everyone says?. The motor and associate cogs look very small.

We really need to see some more detail at the back of the unit where the motor is and the end of the screw is being driven. It does look like there is something else there and it's quite hard to make out where the drive is coming from.
  9. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Though it is really impressive, there is no miracle under the cover :D

Like I thought, there is a spindle to restrict the wheel movements. But instead of a lead-, they are using ballscrew-drives, which makes it alot more expensive.
    On the left side I am able to see a motor coupling (orange), while the silver colored toothwheel looks like an encoder wheel, which is connected to the motor shaft.
    A detail pic of the coupling housing (left part) would be helpful.

The rail behind the spindle is imho just a lead for the slide, which is conneted to the ballbearing nut. It's purpose (slide) seems to be to protect the nut against rotation.
    Perhaps the slide is equipped with some rollers inside to reduce friction, as well. But I am not sure in this point.

As the motor is placed off-center, there must be some kind of transmission to the spindle.
    Its not visible, but I think it could be a friction wheel, with a transmission of i>1.

And in the end there is no megatorque motor used at all ;D

Regards
    Christian
  10. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    They could have two screws one with big pitch (the bigger one) and second with small pitch. Like on the picture

Attached Files:

• obr.JPG
      obr.JPG
      File size:
      34.3 KB
      Views:
  11. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    That's the only point that makes me thinking on friction wheels, though I wouldnt use them for this application. Sure they would produce near zero backlash and would be quiet, but they just would have a very small contact zone between both wheels (unlike belt transmissions) and would need a lot pressure between both wheels to work properly.

hmm... perhaps we'll get a better pic of the interesting 'left part' of the construction.

Regards
    Christian
  12. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    With system witch i draw it would have no backslash (if they use pre tension nut (i dont know correct translation)) even if they use normal nut it would have really small backslah.
  13. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    You are right, it could be made that way. But wouldnt pre tensioned nuts produce alot of friction and wear?
    As well from the pov in the picture it does not seem that there is another ballscrew nut behind the visible one. Do you think it could be a leadscrew nut for the motor spindle?.

Anyway, your idea looks very reasonable :thbup:

Regards
    Christian
  14. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well who knows what they mean by no backslash ... (ballscrews witch are using on CNC with 5 mm pitch could have backalsah 0,01 mm or less ! and tensioned could be regulated). Another ball screw (with small pitch) must be very small (and pricely :D ) so it coud be inside that central aluminium console (you can see on the picture that holder of nut continue to that)
  15. matt_tighe

matt_tighe New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps the reduction in backlash/grindy feel just comes from the natural damping by having what looks like a reasonably large mass on the screw.

Rather than it being only the motor holding the wheel in place there will be some resistance from the screw/nut?

I still don't see how the force-feedback back is so strong though hmmmmmmm ;-)

Matt
  16. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is an enhanced photo of it...

DSC00452_edit.jpg

Still not much can be seen about the motor transmission but I'll try to ask clarkii2 for a better photo of this section. It can't be another smaller screw aligned with the motor... it would make difficult to backdrive it by hand! I should ask if he is able to rotate the wheel easily if not powered to confirm this!

Regards, Thanos
  17. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ball screw with standart pitch can be rotated by sliding nut very easy. But on yours en. picture it isnt really looks like that there is another ballscrew :(
    EDIT:eek:n this http://rapidshare.com/files/138162019/DSCN1680.AVI.html video he rotated by one screw and second one rotating by sliding his nut
  18. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  19. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Internal recirculating isnt problem every nut has it.
    I am still thinking that motor moves with nut not the screw. Because if they powered screw and nut is there only for endstop its REALLY wasting money!
  20. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    Hi.
    Ik looks like Ego is richt ,i think olso that the nuth is sliding on the groundplate
    They writhe you can mechanicly adjust the steering clearence 1080 degrade max to what you want
    I think they do that with the left 2 screws on the upside, you can see on one of the first foto,s they are long enuff.
    On the last picture you can see on the left side that the alloy gearwheel is conected to (probbely the planetairy gear)
    and to another shaft under the roller shaft with orance coupler,the two gearwheels are then for compensating different
    pitsch from the shafts,otherwise it wont turn.(for Mambo,s drawing)
    It looks there is a bearing under the rollershaft on the left side, but i dont think there is a smaller shaft.
    I want to see a picture on the richt side to, it looks like the roller and steering shaft aren,t in line also.
    I think they make it difficult and far to expencife, but when you want a patent for this you must make it difficult
    because there is a complete automotive industrie far a head of them.
    regards Ad